1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Are directories even worth it?

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by oneawesomeguy, Aug 5, 2008.

I am about to launch some new sites and although I generally personally submit them to a bunch of directories, I have been having less and less time lately. Is it even worth me paying someone the $10 bucks to submit to 100 or so directories or is it worth submitting to directories at all?

I know about SEO and the fact that a link is a link, but the page from the directory you get a link from will be deep into the link structure of that particular site. It will not be like getting a link from a PR3+ site. It will probably not even have a PR and may not even be indexed.

Any thoughts?

oneawesomeguy, Aug 5, 2008 IP
  2. jbladeus

jbladeus Peon

Best Answers:
    Frankly, directory submission has become a waste of time and money (if you go for paid listings). The submissions take eons to get reviewed and are most of the time are placed on unindexed pages. Yahoo and MSN rankings still seem to get affected by directory links, but google just doesnt seem to give them any value at all.

jbladeus, Aug 5, 2008 IP
    oneawesomeguy likes this.
  3. ScottNiarb

ScottNiarb Peon

Best Answers:
    Website directory submission have become a thing of the past, but if you write content that is good and original, then you can submit those articles to article directories to drive traffic to your site and boost your rankings. So to answer your question, web directories are a waste of money, but article directories are still worth it.

Scott

ScottNiarb, Aug 5, 2008 IP
  4. PHPGator

PHPGator Banned

Best Answers:
    I've been pretty consistent with submitting my website to free directories when I've got the extra time. I would credit for taking me from a PR0 to a PR2 since I never purchased any links or have a lot of links elsewhere. Granted, thats about to change because a PR2 isn't all that valuable. Granted, I expect that I will be able to at minimum sustain that. So, I guess it depends on how you look at it. Is the glass half full or half empty? :)

PHPGator, Aug 5, 2008 IP
  5. jrw1978

jrw1978 Peon

Best Answers:
    I believe directory submissions, at least free non-reciprocal directories, are still worth doing because you get permanent 1 way links, but links from article marketing, social bookmarking and blog comments should be your priority when it comes to SEO.

jrw1978, Aug 5, 2008 IP
  6. narsticle

narsticle Peon

Best Answers:
    you have to make sure they are quality directories. otherwise you are just wasting your time.

narsticle, Aug 5, 2008 IP
  7. Driver8

Driver8 Peon

Best Answers:
    I usually still do it to launch a new site. Directory links may not be worth as much as those from authority sites, but it's still an easy and cheap way to get a new site indexed and maybe even a little bit of PR (1-2).

Driver8, Aug 5, 2008 IP
  8. JoseArmando

JoseArmando Active Member

Best Answers:
    Every back link counts. But don't expect too much from it.

Good luck

JoseArmando, Aug 5, 2008 IP
  9. oneawesomeguy

oneawesomeguy Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks everyone. I guess I just am oldschool and need to keep up with the times. :)

I will try to stay out of directories since they waste so much of my time.

oneawesomeguy, Aug 9, 2008 IP