1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Article length

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by lightless, Aug 4, 2008.

Do you find writing shorter articles easier or longer ones? Are your articles naturally shorter or longer?
    Anyone have ideas on making articles longer or shorter [Depending on the situation and requirements]?

lightless, Aug 4, 2008 IP
  2. latoya

latoya Active Member

Best Answers:
    Write until the job's done - the topic is covered at the level of detail your readers will like.

To make an article longer you can:
    -broaden your topic (sometimes)
    -use examples
    -say the same thing multiple times in different ways
    -add quotes from other sources

To make an article shorter you can:
    -make your topic more specific (sometimes)
    -say things simply in a few words
    -cover the topic in less detail
    -forget the fluff, get straight to the point

latoya, Aug 4, 2008 IP
    go85, lightless and kanwarjot like this.
  3. kanwarjot

kanwarjot Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I personally feel that an article of 250-400 words is sufficient enough as longer can be very boring..More over instead of writing it in old style of paragraphs follow points and highlight the key points so that it become easy for the reader.So write in points and thus only focus on important points rather than writing those essays

kanwarjot, Aug 4, 2008 IP
  4. Trusted Writer

Trusted Writer Banned

Best Answers:
    When writing for someone else article lenght is often narrowed around a client's requirements and terms you pacted.

When you write on your own for any given reason, I prefer keep my articles between 250 and 500 word count.

Shorter are often worthless, longer can be boring unless you are expert in a field and keep proper grammar and punctuation.

Plotting a long article like if it were a novel can often help keeping readers' attention.

Trusted Writer, Aug 4, 2008 IP
    lightless likes this.
  5. snarke

snarke Peon

Best Answers:
    It honestly depends on what the article is for-- if I am writing something for my personal blog or on a topic that I am invested in, the articles will tend to be a little bit longer, mostly because I am jazzed about the topic. For things like article marketing and website content/copy, I like to tell my clients that the 300 word mark is a good target and that to go over 500 words is on the excessive side.

I like what Latoya said. It's reminiscent of...somebody (the caterpillar?) from Alice in Wonderland: "Start at the beginning and when you come to the end, stop" (or something to that effect).

snarke, Aug 4, 2008 IP
  6. marketjunction

marketjunction Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Is that a trick question? ;)

I write until the job is done. It could be a 50-word item or a novel.

The only difficulty would be getting a client to understand that a 300-word article about the coming fee decline in the freelance writer market isn't going to work.

Oops, I've said too much. :D

marketjunction, Aug 4, 2008 IP
  7. lightless

lightless Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Lots of interesting ideas. I was primarily thinking of writing for own websites or those for clients who don't stick to word lengths and say that let the article be as long as it needs to be or to use the writer's personal judgement as to article length.

Most of the articles i tend to write for my personal purposes seem to be 200-300 words.

lightless, Aug 4, 2008 IP
  8. wilhb81

wilhb81 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I usally keeps my article length 250 and 500 words...

I will feel uncomfortable, if I write those articles that require 1,000 words and above.

wilhb81, Aug 5, 2008 IP
  9. go85

go85 Active Member

Best Answers:
    For most projects I usually target 350-500 words, but it all depends on the situation and the requirements. For articles that just keep going and going, I'll often break them up so they can stand on their own and be titled as part I, part II, part III, etc. This seems to work well.

go85, Aug 6, 2008 IP
  10. jssc

jssc Guest

Best Answers:
    I usually start with a target article of standard number of words... but when I get to motivate myself enough I start typing, and typing, and typing then it ends up as a long article. Then I edit it and trim it down.

jssc, Aug 6, 2008 IP
  11. Michelle Michan

Michelle Michan Banned

Best Answers:
    I feel articles under 200 words are not articles at all but product/service description.

I feel comfortable writing articles between 250 and 350 words and often doing extensive research when they are above 400 word count.

However I can rarely round such numbers going usually over 10/20 words per article.

Michelle Michan, Aug 7, 2008 IP
  12. lightless

lightless Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I don't agree. Let's say a person is going to write an article on "How to stop cats from fighting each other". It may be under 200 words, because of narrow focus. But it's still an article.

lightless, Aug 7, 2008 IP
  13. go85

go85 Active Member

Best Answers:
    In general, I would agree with this. Even though brevity is a good skill for a writer to have, sometimes when articles are too short it looks like the writer doesn't have enough information, skill, or expertise on the subject matter to write a better article.

go85, Aug 7, 2008 IP
  14. marketjunction

Best Answers:
    Take a look at the newspaper some time.

If the topic is narrow, it could be 200 or fewer words. It's about what needs to be said and how you say it.

I've seen many 500-word articles floating around here that I could rewrite into 100-word articles, because they are so bloated.

marketjunction, Aug 7, 2008 IP
  15. go85

go85 Active Member

Best Answers:
    True, there are 400 word articles that are far too long, just as there are 400 word articles that are far too short. I can write articles that are less than 200 words if that is what is required by either the subject or the purchaser, but as a reader I prefer to have a little more to chew on.

go85, Aug 7, 2008 IP
  16. Michelle Michan

Michelle Michan Banned

Best Answers:
    Good point, I have never realized this fact... or I should better say I have always thought that news are one thing and articles are another, but now I see it's just the same and certainly would be hard make a 1000+ project on how stopping cats on fighting ;)

Michelle Michan, Aug 7, 2008 IP
  17. lightless

lightless Notable Member

Best Answers:
    It is rather easy and sometimes tempting to add needless filler to articles. I am sure you would agree as you would have doubtless seen such things happening. Even if you haven't, you can be certain of their existence. Believe only that which you are 100% sure. I am sure you understand clearly now ;)

18. marketjunction

Best Answers:
    A written "article" is a format, which consists of items (text, pictures, etc) on a subject.

Article examples:

The Battle of the Bulge
    Six Ways to Explode Your Freelance Writing Business
    Man, Wife Found Dead in Dryer
    Exploring the Romantic Restaurants of Rome
    Microsoft CEO Found Guilty of Extortion
    Knitting Granny Sets World Record

and so forth.

Articles can be found in newspapers, newsletters, magazines, Web sites, etc.

:)

marketjunction, Aug 7, 2008 IP
  19. go85

go85 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Needless filler is boring and frustrating to encounter as a reader, so too is shallow content. ;)

go85, Aug 7, 2008 IP
  20. lightless

lightless Notable Member

Best Answers:
    But certain writers have a stylish, flashy and/or humorous way of writing that you sometimes don't even notice or feel those things.

go85 likes this.