1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

dissapointed in DMOZ

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by AlexP, May 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Who on earth told you THAT, lmocr?

Trust me - it isn't even close to reality-based. Hint: using your horses as your sole source of feedback probably isn't sufficient. :rolleyes:

minstrel, May 5, 2006 IP
  2. Enigma

Enigma Peon

Best Answers:
    Lol! You are a hoot minstrel, even when you don't intend to be. But, do you actually think any rational person will take your word for it? To me it seems like anyone who doesn't agree with you isn't an independent thinker. Sorry, but I stopped trying to please people a long time ago (think teens). I follow no one's opinions, especially when they are trying to bully me with insults to try to make me think like them. That's in strict contrast to what you're proposing and expecting. BTW, I haven't heard you argue this issue, except to say in so many words that "if you don't agree with me then you're brain is small." Well, I think that with your mentality that your brain is even smaller. :D

Enigma, May 5, 2006 IP
  3. minstrel

Best Answers:
    Whatever makes you happy, Enigma. :D

minstrel, May 5, 2006 IP
  4. lmocr

lmocr Peon

Best Answers:
    Neither is using your patients :p

lmocr, May 5, 2006 IP
  5. minstrel

Best Answers:
    :confused:

You've been using my patients as feedback, lmocr?

minstrel, May 5, 2006 IP
  6. brizzie

brizzie Peon

Best Answers:
    Personally I'd like to hear reasoned argument how that thread did not give a negative impression of DMOZ metas to potential editors watching in the wings. Bearing in mind the points made why it was giving a negative impression. Not sure the personal insults help in that (unless gworld is the target ;) ).

brizzie, May 5, 2006 IP
  7. minstrel

Best Answers:
    RZ Defenders are only trained to insult. Actually helping someone apparently requires post-graduate training and most RZ Defenders don't meet the admission requirements. :D

minstrel, May 5, 2006 IP
  8. crossman

crossman Peon

Best Answers:
    I never thought of that, but you have a point. I wonder if negative threads prevent some people from applying to be a editor.

Before I became a editor or knew more about dmoz, from the info I read on the net I thought I didn't have chance..

But I was like what the hell... it'll just take five minutes

crossman, May 5, 2006 IP
  9. brizzie

brizzie Peon

Best Answers:
    I left school at 15 - too late now. ;)

Nonsense - no training involved, you need to be a natural. I used to fit in well there actually and I was the original Most Evil Editall according to my colleagues. If they think you are the Most Evil... well you can imagine. I know you've always been against RZ but I do think it used to be quite good. Not sure I see the point now though.

brizzie, May 5, 2006 IP
  10. Nanofied

Nanofied Guest

Best Answers:
    Look, I just didnt like the response from their editors... I was trying to be polite in the beginning, but then they started giving me crap. I wasnt happy about, becasue if I knew it was at least 9 days ago, then why doud I have to wait the whole 14 days all over? I just figured it was a result of DMOZ's lazy editors and owners.

To be truthful, the only categories that seem to be run well are the ones shawn runs from dp.

Sorry for causing trouble dp members... I didnt want this to become a war.

No appologies for DMOZ though, and as they said, I went from pro DMOZ to now a DMOZ hater.

Nanofied, May 5, 2006 IP
    compostannie likes this.
  11. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    If it was my application, it would have been accepted in less than a day. I have profiled the type of person that Meta's consider too naive or stupid to be any treat to them and approve at once. May be I should write an e-book about how to become an editor in less than a week? ;)

gworld, May 5, 2006 IP
  12. brizzie

brizzie Peon

Best Answers:
    No-one needs an excuse for a war around here - if you hadn't mentioned it we'd have made it up instead. ;)

Please don't let that negative experience influence your thinking too much. The vast majority of meta and other senior editors are nothing but helpful and supportive to new editors. Very very few post on RZ and many don't because they don't like it any more than you do. RZ is not an official part of DMOZ.

brizzie, May 5, 2006 IP
  13. brizzie

brizzie Peon

Best Answers:
    Yep but you don't acquire a new account every day do you? :D

brizzie, May 5, 2006 IP
  14. crossman

crossman Peon

Best Answers:
    If gworld do have multiple accounts, wouldn't that mean he is corrupt just as he claim some editors are?

crossman, May 5, 2006 IP
  15. lmocr

lmocr Peon

Best Answers:
    There are rules to follow everywhere - as you know :) - even small rules such as posting the information required for an application status check.

The OP did not post the required information - obviously - even after a link was posted in the thread and then the FAQ itself was posted in the thread. The metas responding were polite, even to the point of saying please. How long does going and looking at the application take? I don't know, but I would assume longer than typing a response that says "Come back 14 days from today if you can't remember when you applied."

There has to be a limit placed on how much a person can be helped - the limit is 14 days. Otherwise a lot of people will be coming in saying - I can't remember when I applied but I'm sure it was a month ago. If there is no limit - then the meta would have to go check the application, find out it was only submitted two days ago, come back and post that they have to wait twelve days before asking. Do some people have to wait longer with this limit? Sure they do. Waiting isn't the worst thing in the world.

I didn't see any rudeness - I saw the rules being pointed out multiple times and someone not following them. I don't think having to wait a few more days before being told your application is still waiting (or has been declined) is a penalty.

ETA - wow - I guess I type very slow - trying to think through my "reasoned response for Brizzie" while typing.

lmocr, May 5, 2006 IP
    brizzie likes this.
  16. minstrel

Best Answers:
    HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!!!! :D :D :D

Just when I was thinking lmocr wasn't bright enough to have a sense of huimor, she manages to post this! :D

Priceless!! Good one, lmocr!

minstrel, May 5, 2006 IP
  17. LaCabra

LaCabra Goats R Us

Best Answers:
    I've been waiting for over a year to get www.saylessaddlery.com to get listed on dmoz. I submitted a status request when that was available and was told it was in the queue and to wait 90 days before I requested another status. After 90 days the site was not approved and was a little paranoid that if I requested another status report I would never get my site looked at. So I backed off ... hoping that one day, if its not lost soemwhere, that the site would get listed.

LaCabra, May 5, 2006 IP
    compostannie likes this.
  18. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I am sorry that I have previously blamed you for your lack of original ideas and your superior pleasing attitude. It is not your fault, you have been conditioned to be this way. ;)

gworld, May 5, 2006 IP
  19. Enigma

Enigma Peon

Best Answers:
    From reading some of your non-rational posts on this board (you mask them to be rational, yet they're more of a rant when they are analyzed and read carefully) I'd garner to think you got your education from a VERY lenient university. Mind telling me which one so I'll know not to attend there? :D But, go ahead and make up a university like Harvard or something. :)

BTW, I think you're the one who's trained to insult, especially when you see something you don't agree with and you know you can't change their minds with you weak arguments. Also, if you're so much of an independent thinker, then why are most of your posts on this issue more of an "I agree with [insert person you agree with], so everyone should take note and think the same way." An independent thinker wouldn't create several posts saying they agree with someone, but would also argue the issue in their own words, something I've yet to see you do, except for your lame attempt when you mis-read the thread at R-Z and confused editor application status check with website status check. So much for "independent thinking" where Minstrel is concerned, it's obvious that you don't practice what you preach so I wouldn't be so quick to throw your education in everyone's face. People do that when they don't have an argument but they want to somehow make themselves feel superior.

Have a nice day Minstrel. :)

Enigma, May 5, 2006 IP
  20. Enigma

Enigma Peon

Best Answers:
    Sayles, I guess you'd be happy to know that your URL is listed in Dmoz. :) Congratulations! It's in a regional category and a top-level one. I don't know if you'll find it by search or not (when searching don't use the www), but here are the categories so you can see for yourself.

http://dmoz.org/Shopping/Sports/Equestrian/

http://dmoz.org/Regional/North_Amer...Business_and_Economy/Shopping/Sporting_Goods/

Enigma, May 5, 2006 IP
    LaCabra likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.