1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Site isn't listed in DMOZ

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by Akiro, Aug 1, 2008.

i gave my site in dmoz 1 yr ago and twice after 4 months but my site isn't included yet.
    my site is vBulletin-dz.com

Akiro, Aug 1, 2008 IP
  2. sabian1982

sabian1982 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    By submitting again, twice after 4 months, you automatically send your listing to the back of the queue so you have to go through the waiting game all over again, thats if your listing hadn't already been deleted as it was deemed not suitable for inclusion.

sabian1982, Aug 1, 2008 IP
    lordadel likes this.
  3. Akiro

Akiro Peon

Best Answers:
    So what should i do now?
    resubmit?

Akiro, Aug 1, 2008 IP
  4. ccoonen

ccoonen Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I would resubmit, then wait another year... don't submit within that year either...

ccoonen, Aug 1, 2008 IP
  5. crowbar

crowbar Peon

Best Answers:
    Neither are 100,000 other sites that are patiently waiting. You're just one of them, and as the Directory doesn't offer a listing service of any kind, I wouldn't be holding my breath waiting, ;).

Submit one time, and go find something else to do.

crowbar, Aug 1, 2008 IP
  6. trichnosis

trichnosis Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    trichnosis, Aug 1, 2008 IP
  7. Akiro

Akiro Peon

Best Answers:
    So should i use any other service to get my site in google.

Akiro, Aug 1, 2008 IP
  8. Rocket976

Rocket976 Peon

Best Answers:
    How long can you expect to wait to get listed on average?

Rocket976, Aug 1, 2008 IP
  9. Akiro

Akiro Peon

Best Answers:
    2 weeks only

Akiro, Aug 2, 2008 IP
  10. crowbar

crowbar Peon

Best Answers:
    That's like throwing 50,000 marbles on the floor and predicting which one will be picked up first.

What I can tell you is that every marble (site) has an equal opportunity to be picked up because they are all sitting on the same level playing field, which a lot of people on this forum don't like, they want a way to give themselves an advantage over you, by finding a way to work the "system".

Problem for them is that, unlike an automated system, there is no system to be worked, and the reason for that is that humans can think, make judgement calls, and are unpredictable.

The short answer is anywhere from one day to several years. There is no real average time because there are so many variables, and because our jobs as editors are not to provide a listing service, but to build categories.

crowbar, Aug 2, 2008 IP
  11. CReed

CReed Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    It's very light on content and unlikely that it would be accepted (personal opinion only). From looking at the stats I'd have to wonder just how much content it had a year ago when you submitted?

Stats:
    Members: 24
    Threads: 92

Personally, I'd work on building the site so that it's a useful resource before I would consider resubmitting.

I'd also look at some of the other sites that are currently listed and see where they are lacking. ;) Consider adding content that the other sites don't offer.

CReed, Aug 2, 2008 IP
  12. Akiro

Akiro Peon

Best Answers:
    Actually i recently started a new forum at my site. I deleted the older website.

Akiro, Aug 3, 2008 IP
  13. renlok

renlok Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I don't know but it took 5 months for my site to be added.

well a year ago i imagine it had nothing on it as it didn't exist
    vbulletin-dz.com was created on: May 14 2008

Domain age (approximately):
    2 Months, 21 days..

renlok, Aug 3, 2008 IP
  14. Bohol

Bohol Peon

Best Answers:
    I have submitted one of my sites twice already. Nothing happened. There's nothing bad in the site. It was so appropriate in the category selected. Why do we have to wait forever?

Bohol, Aug 4, 2008 IP
  15. Roman

Roman Buffalo Tamerâ„¢

Best Answers:
    Not really, some marbles are really ugly and pathetic and nobody wants to pick up an ugly and pathetic marble.

Roman, Aug 4, 2008 IP
  16. crowbar

crowbar Peon

Best Answers:
    A site can be the ugliest on the planet, that's not what an editor judges.

If it has one piece of useful information that no other site in the category has, it gets listed, because the information seeker is our first priority. How does listing 50 beautifully made sites help the information seeker, if every one of them has the exact same information and nothing different?

Would you want to see the same info 50 times, or would you be po'd for having wasted all that time?

An editors job is to find those differences and mention them in the description, again, to save the information seeker time. One glance at the listings descriptions should give that seeker enough information to decide which sites to actually visit.

A description that's meant to entice or suck an information seeker to the site using sales hype is dishonest and unacceptable, save that for your newspaper ads or your site, it doesn't belong in a Directory description.

Same goes for a list of keywords for search engine optimization, a Directory is not a search engine, and could care less about it.

crowbar, Aug 4, 2008 IP
  17. Headshot0123

Headshot0123 Peon

Best Answers:
    It takes anywhere from 2 weeks to six months to get listed on DMOZ. It varies by category. If I were you I would apply, wait six months, and if your not in make sure you are following their guidelines and submitted your site to the best category, and then re-apply.

Headshot0123, Aug 5, 2008 IP
  18. crowbar

crowbar Peon

Best Answers:
    If a site has been submitted/suggested to the Directory, it will still be sitting there awaiting review by an editor. If you resuggest it, it will still be sitting there, only with a newer submission date.

Some editors do review site suggestions by the date submitted, I never did, but some do. In those cases, you just screwed yourself by resubmitting.

In cases where the site was rejected, resubmitting just means it will be rejected once again, and you've wasted the editors time and kept another site owner from having his site reviewed.

I've reviewed sites that had been there one day and others that had been submitted several years before (in the same category, in the same editing session).

With 600,000 categories available and roughly only 7,000 active editors working, that should come as no surprise. Especially if you understand that most of those editors are limited to very small areas of the Directory, and those of us with higher/wider access are not only totally swamped with submissions, but we're the only ones who can deal with structure work across wide areas of the Directory.

The reason there are not more editors with these higher permissions is that:
    A. They don't desire such permissions and haven't requested them.
    B. They don't have the knowledge and experience to be trusted with such permissions yet.
    C. They don't have the time commitment it takes to learn what you need to know.

crowbar, Aug 7, 2008 IP
  19. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Not true, if it were then Shoemoney's sites would all be listed ;)

Unique content is only part of the picture and MANY things can override it.

If the end user was the real reason for a listing, then many of the banned sites would be listed regardless of other circumstances...

Qryztufre, Aug 7, 2008 IP
  20. trichnosis

trichnosis Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    i'm sure that cowbar or jim nobble will create a reason this too.

Shoemoney is a rich person. if he gives 5k $ , he will loose nothink.

but 200 active editor are volunteer to a category. they must be paid

bla bla bla

:D:p:p

dmoz is a paid directory with full of spam. you need to pay money to an editor to have a listing on that spam directory (or you can use the short name: DMOZ)

http://www.shoemoney.com/2007/08/26/dmoz-extortion/

trichnosis, Aug 7, 2008 IP