1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Optimizing a landing page for a difficult Adwords scenario

Discussion in 'Google AdWords' started by Oasis88, Jul 30, 2008.

Hi all,

I own a small online shop and I have a question for the best way to optimize my landing pages for adwords. Here is an example to illustrate my point.

Say that I sell different kinds of "gifts" for special occasions on my site. Now, another word for gifts is "presents", so half will search for my goods using "gifts" and the other half "presents".

Following this example, I might make my adgroups like so:

Birthday Gifts
    Christmas Gifts
    Big Gifts
    Small Gifts
    Cheap Gifts
    Expensive Gifts
    etc..

and:

Birthday Presents
    Christmas Presents
    Big Presents
    Small Presents
    Cheap Presents
    Expensive Presents
    etc..

... each with tightly controlled keywords in those groups and very specific adcopy.

Now my problem is I can only have one landing page for my gifts/presents campaign since it is a shopping cart script. I.e. people might see a "big gifts" product and a "big presents" product on my website and may get confused. I'd rather just have one landing page if possible, and look for another solution to optimize it for both gifts and presents.

Now, my problem is that my landing page is highly targeted for the term "gifts" but not so much for "presents". I feel as though my QS is being compromised for the "presents" side of my account since my keywords/adgroups/adcopy are neatly in line, but my gifts landing page will not be considered relevant by adwords for someone searching for "presents", even though it is just another way to say gifts.

I notice that most of my "gift" keywords and adgroups have great QS, while the presents side only has OK. I think this is because of the problem with my landing page that I just described.

So my question is. How can I optimize my landing page so that it fulfills the need for both variations of one kind of product?

Oasis88, Jul 30, 2008 IP
  2. chaos

chaos Active Member

Best Answers:
    If you feel comfortable doing so, send me a PM with your website's URL. I've been doing affiliate marketing on Adwords for some time now, so I'm sure I could be of help.

chaos, Jul 30, 2008 IP
  3. robertpriolo

robertpriolo Peon

Best Answers:
    Its not possible to cover all bases with one landing page for all variations

Thats like asking a baseball player to cover more than one base for a game since you do not want to add another player to the game. He might be able to cover 3rd completely but may only be able to cover 2nd some of the time when he happens to be near by

robertpriolo, Jul 30, 2008 IP
  4. Oneal

Oneal Peon

Best Answers:
    As robert said, you can't always get all keywords to great.

If you have the problem with "presents" just make sure you add it once or twice, and know that bombarding with it with keywords will kill your quality score, and you'll get slapped in a blink of an eye.

Google are smarter than you think. Their algorithms are optimized to give good PPC prices to sites that have good content for their users. So focus on creating a quality landing page with good content.

Watch this video to get some good ideas:
    stompernet.net/goingnatural3/vid1_adwords_triangulation_method

Oneal, Jul 31, 2008 IP
  5. trishan

trishan Peon

Best Answers:
    Here's a question for those with knowledge - Is there some sort of script that will get the keyword that the user searched for and put it as the title on the LP? For example, here if the user searched for "big presents" the code on the LP would pick this up and make the title of the page "Big Presents". A little bit like the {KeyWord: KeyWord} thing??

trishan, Jul 31, 2008 IP
  6. fntastik

fntastik Peon

Best Answers:
    Lpgen could do it, or have someone code it, you could dynamically insert it anywhere on the page you want.

fntastik, Aug 1, 2008 IP
  7. robertpriolo

robertpriolo Peon

Best Answers:
    you can use PHP to do that.

Code the php to grab a param from the url string and use that param to insert into the variable keyword locations

robertpriolo, Aug 1, 2008 IP