1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Need guaranteed DMOZ submission. PM please

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by Schoolly, Jul 30, 2008.

Looking for help, only PM please.

Schoolly, Jul 30, 2008 IP
    robjones likes this.
  2. crowbar

crowbar Peon

Best Answers:
    There are no guarantees, because number one, you have no right to be listed or any promises, two, we don't want every site, only sites we consider of value to the category, three, we are not a listing service here to serve your wants, needs, and desires, and fourth, what you want, and what the directory wants are two entirely different things.

crowbar, Jul 31, 2008 IP
  3. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    The problem with that one is that no one is really for sure just what the directory wants, as all types of sites make it in. Some conform to the guidelines, some do not...so mind telling the masses just what the ODP desires?

Qryztufre, Jul 31, 2008 IP
  4. JohnS0N

JohnS0N Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah, DMOZ is one of the most corrupted websites. So many crappy websites get listed, while many great websites get left out. At the end, what one needs to do is just find a dmoz editor and give some booty under the table. I think this is the most valuable guideline.

JohnS0N, Jul 31, 2008 IP
  5. jimnoble

jimnoble Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Doubloons or ass :p?

jimnoble, Jul 31, 2008 IP
    jjwill likes this.
  6. crowbar

crowbar Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, please do, then we can ban your ass and you won't be in here making false accusations that you can't back up with proof.

Very simple. Sites that have unique content compared to the other sites in that particular category. Sites that offer something that the information seeker will find of value. We don't want 50 elephants, we want one of each type of animal. The surfer doesn't need to see an elephant 50 times, they only need to see it once, and 49 different animals that might be
    just what they are looking for.

The idea is to give the searcher a variety of choices, and to write a description that describes what the searcher might find on the site, which gives him the choice to visit the sites that might have what he's looking for. (without having to click on each of 50 possible sites)

It's all about the information seeker, not the information providers.

There are no fast and simple rules for unique content, as it is different for every category, which is why we have human editors to make judgement calls, something machines cannot do.

A water garden category has much different needs than a Game category, a business cat would have different unique content than a Sports category.

An editors job is to know the category, spot the unique content a site may have, and make the category more valuable for the information seeker, by adding it. It has absolutely nothing to do with the site owner and his desires.

There is no such thing as being fair to the submitter. The site owner has no right to be listed, we either need the site for the category or we don't, plain and simple.

You want to be listed? Then compare the content of the current listings in that category, and put something unique on your site that the others don't have, and you will know you qualify. Something an information seeker would find interesting or of value.

If you don't know what that is, then maybe you need to dump your site and get a job.

crowbar, Jul 31, 2008 IP
  7. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    That is a half truth. If it was full truth, then there would not be an issue with banning sites forever based on the site owners actions... If a site was listable, then it would be listed regardless of whether or not the owner was a complete knob that ignored the rules.

Then there are sites like Ivans, that get randomly removed that still fit within the directory.

And of course, there are the automated listings which were added by a bot and not looked at by a human what-so-ever.

So when you say "very simple" that in and of itself is not even remotely close to the truth.

What the ODP wants is anyones guess, even the ODP's. Getting a listing is pure happenstance and there is often no real indication as to why a site is or is not added. The evidence is on the ODP itself.

Qryztufre, Jul 31, 2008 IP
  8. dadougalee

dadougalee Peon

Best Answers:
    HAHA, the professionalism just seeps from the text of the ODP Editors. I hear comments like these from a few of them all the time on here. It just makes me laugh is all. Most of them seem like they are on a power trip, which makes it very hard for me to respect them.

I should say that not all of them are like ^^^. Unfortunately, they are few and far between. I'm just looking forward to more advancements in the symantec web, so that we as webmasters no longer need to beg DMOZ editors and other useless directories that no on uses, for a powerful backlink.

I've been waiting two years for multiple sites, and I'm afraid that it seems painfully obvious that I have given up hope. I wish you all luck and I will pray to the ODP Gods to look upon your sites, and be pleased.

dadougalee, Aug 1, 2008 IP
  9. snowbird

snowbird Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Just submit to the most appropriate category and forget about. Otherwise go to scriptlance or some other place where corrupt dmoz editors prey on people that think DMOZ is the next best thing since sliced bread...

snowbird, Aug 1, 2008 IP
  10. allout

allout Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Best advice of the thread. It is worthless to stress and worry rather the great DMOZ will list you. I always submit as with any directory. I have one site listed and I have yet to see any benefit from it. It did not help at all with PR and I have gotten 5 visits in a couple of months. That could have been editors since my site was listed, delisted, and listed again.

At one time is was way more important, I am shocked that webmasters still obsess over it.

allout, Aug 1, 2008 IP
  11. joebloggs

joebloggs Peon

Best Answers:
    I have submitted numerous high quality sites with genuine USPs and none have ever gotten listed.

I don't really think it has much more than symbolic value anyway.

joebloggs, Aug 1, 2008 IP
  12. crowbar

crowbar Peon

Best Answers:
    There you all go again. When will you get it through your thick noggins that the Directory is not a listing service and that its editors don't exist to serve your needs?

You are misinterpreting hearing the truth, with arrogance.

As a former editor of 6 years, with over 25,000 edits, why won't you believe me when I tell you that no editor needs your site suggestions?

Any editor, in any category, can go out on the net and find new quality sites to list very easily. We do not need your suggestions, you have no God given right to be listed, we don't exist to serve you, and we do not need the site owners permission to list any site we want to list.

As long as the Directory grows each day by even one site, that's all that's neccessary. It's not all inclusive, and it isn't a race.

If it is on the Internet, we have every right to list it, with or without the owners permission.

There is no "my turn", there is no "waiting list", there is no "waiting in line", there is no "I deserve to be listed", or "my site better than that site".

What there is, is a big pool of "site suggestions" that the Directory has "allowed" the public to make to the Directory. It is not "here is my site, when will you get it listed?"

No editor is obligated to use your suggestions, or to even bother looking at them. They are just there and available, if the editor wants to look at them. The only right you have is to suggest a site for consideration, and nothing else.

"You" are not building the Directory, editors are. They do the work and make the decisions (not you), they spend their free time doing it (not you), they understand the Directory Guidelines (not you), they have all the rights (not you).

If that sounds arrogant, then the truth is arrogant, but it's time you man up and understand the truth, and stop whining about the way you'd like to be able to work the system to your advatage, and get ahead of the other guy. You do that quite enough with the search engines.

It's a level playing field for all, whether you're a professional manipulator of websites, or a mom & pop outfit just trying to get on the Internet.

As far as editors go, they edit for pleasure, as a hobby. Sometimes they indulge in their pleasure and sometimes they find something else to do in their free time. They owe you absolutely nothing, and they are accountable to no one but the Directory, the information seeker, and each other (not you).

crowbar, Aug 2, 2008 IP
  13. dadougalee

dadougalee Peon

Best Answers:
    If the editors of ODP do not serve the webmasters? Who re they serving? The public? Hate to burst your bubble, but no one use Directories to search for information since oh Google and any other search engine became popular for that matter.

dadougalee, Aug 2, 2008 IP
    allout likes this.
  14. CReed

CReed Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    CReed, Aug 2, 2008 IP
    robjones likes this.
  15. allout

allout Prominent Member

Best Answers:

Either you a bitter ex-editor trying to stop submissions or you really believe the crap you are spilling.

Why would they even have a submission button? Directories are link farms and represent no information source for anyone. As dadougalee stated, Google has eliminated the need for anyone to search through directories.

Have you ever tried to find anything on DMOZ? It is a joke! It is there to serve webmasters and provide back links. Nothing more!

allout, Aug 2, 2008 IP
  16. dadougalee

dadougalee Peon

Best Answers:
    And if you believe anything else, your only fooling yourself.

dadougalee, Aug 3, 2008 IP
  17. Littile John

Littile John Peon

Best Answers:
    seems to good to be true but might have ago

Littile John, Aug 3, 2008 IP
  18. alcas

alcas Peon

Best Answers:
    I'd have to disagree with you. The regional Uk section with drill downs into the relevant London Boroughs has been incredibly useful to me. Google isn't as relevant when it comes to the information I'm looking for.

alcas, Aug 3, 2008 IP
  19. MKInfo

MKInfo DP Guard Dog

Best Answers:
    I have never submitted a site.
    I find the whole thing distasteful and irrelevant.
    Example:
    http://search.dmoz.org/cgi-bin/search?search=sex

Take no.12 for instance.What is unique about that?It tries to give you a trojan too!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Whats the point of most of these and why are they listed? ( a valid question I think crowbar)

MKInfo, Aug 3, 2008 IP
    robjones likes this.
  20. allout

allout Prominent Member

Best Answers:

Big question is why are you looking for sex on DMOZ? :D:eek:

allout, Aug 3, 2008 IP
    robjones likes this.