1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is Yahoo $299 directory worth it now?

Discussion in 'Directories' started by shellyreynolds, Apr 16, 2008.

1. swedal

swedal Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I may submit to Yahoo someday, but there are many other directories to submit to first.

swedal, Apr 17, 2008 IP
  2. 87Lakers

87Lakers Active Member

Best Answers:
    Totally not worth it in my experience! I paid $299 and got listed on page 13 of my category and I am #1 on Google for my term and #2 on Yahoo! Never got any traffic or Google PR. The good news is that after the first year I cancelled the listing yet to this day remain in the directory three years later. To anyone new to the directory I would highly recommend you spend your money elsewhere!

87Lakers, Jul 29, 2008 IP
  3. Event_King

Event_King Guest

Best Answers:
    Okay, that about says it all. So basically, even with Yahoo, you aren't getting anything and they charge $300 for it lol.

It's my guess people buy for the Yahoo brand.

Event_King, Jul 29, 2008 IP
  4. alrofaee

alrofaee Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    in my opinion, yahoo directory is too much expensive. add your site to free directories is better :)

alrofaee, Jul 29, 2008 IP
  5. robjones

robjones Notable Member

Best Answers:
    In economic terms the theory of elasticity drives pricing. Best example is those glass front vending machine where the little metal coil advances the candy bar until (theoretically) it falls off the shelf.

Where I live they charge more for a Snickers bar than for lesser known brands. If the owner comes to fill the machine and repeatedly notices Snickers sold out before others... he will raise the price until he finds one or two left on his return. If they quit selling, he went too high. Elasticity. The market tells him what he can get away with charging.

Yahoo is well known. It appears they might push the edge of the envelope on elasticity, but that's not a criticism. Presumably they have people on staff that know how to optimize their return, and they are a for-profit business. Different companies have different strategies... some go for a price below what they could probably charge and go for volume, some test the waters every chance they get and look for an optimal point.

If they halve the price and only double their orders... the revenue is the same yet they incur more processing costs. Still if they maintain their price and sales ever decrease below the point where the volume isn't doing the job, they can lower it. They must get enough purchases at their price to keep it there. That *could* mean people agree it is worth it, or it *could* mean they've done a good enough job promoting the brand that they get a lot of newcomers. That we won't know.

The question for the webmaster is whether the $ spent on advertising there benefits him as much as the same $ parceled out to several less expensive alternative forms of promoting his site. If he chooses several less expensive directories, the answer probably depends on which combination he chooses. Their prices determine the number of possible alternatives. Some might be better than others depending on the nature of the site he's advertising.

If that seems like a detailed "I don't know"... it's close. I'm not positive there's a one-size fits all answer, especially based on the mixed responses above. If your site isn't likely to be profitable enough to increase it's net in excess of the recurring cost even if the advertising works, you do want to explore alternative means.

Apologies... that got longer than I planned. Have a good one.:)

robjones, Jul 29, 2008 IP
    scoobby likes this.
  6. scoobby

scoobby Active Member

Best Answers:
    well said.rep added. ;)

scoobby, Jul 30, 2008 IP
    robjones likes this.