1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Whats good about dmoz

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by seoworld1234, Jul 25, 2008.

Is there any benefit to submit to dmoz? I dont see that it generates a lot of traffic

seoworld1234, Jul 25, 2008 IP
  2. dcristo

dcristo Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    It's just another good link.

dcristo, Jul 25, 2008 IP
    robjones likes this.
  3. crowbar

crowbar Peon

Best Answers:
    That and perhaps other directories also use ODP data, along with the search engines who use the data. I think many have unrealistic expectations of what a listing will do for them. I would think even just having other websites link to yours would give you the traffic you're looking for.

PR doesn't mean squat to an editor, neither does length of time you've been in business, how long you've had a site, your worthiness to be listed over others, how much traffic you get, how large your company is, how deserving you are, or whether your competition is listed.

None of those things are looked at or considered, they are meaningless in building a category, and unless an editor actually investigates those things, which he has no reason to waste his time doing, an editor wouldn't even be aware of those things.

An editor only looks at the content on a site, and good design is not something an editor considers either. I have seen a few sites that really wowed me, designwise, some were professionally built, and others were very simple mom & pop sites. What they both had in common were ingenuity, simplicity, and unique content.

Other sites were rougher than a corn cob, designwise, but the unique info was outstanding, and that's what we look for, the unique content/ information. A site either has it or it doesn't.

crowbar, Jul 26, 2008 IP
  4. ck101

ck101 Peon

Best Answers:
    If you are looking for noticable traffic from DMOZ listing you may be disappointed. Main benefits of getting listed is as crowbar said, DMOZ data is used by many other directories and search engines which would provide a good exposure.

ck101, Jul 28, 2008 IP
  5. Joshdube

Joshdube Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I am new to this sort of thing, as you may guess from my next question.

How do you get listed on dmoz?

Josh

Joshdube, Jul 28, 2008 IP
  6. kenvin

kenvin Guest

Best Answers:
    Go here http://www.dmoz.org/add.html submit and wait about a year or two. I submitted about a year ago and still am not listed. From what I hear it takes quit a while.

kenvin, Jul 28, 2008 IP
  7. seoworld1234

seoworld1234 Peon

Best Answers:
    thansk all for the input

seoworld1234, Jul 28, 2008 IP
  8. jamieellis

jamieellis Active Member

Best Answers:

I submitted mine in 2003 and there is no reason why our site would be rejected given we are one of the largest in our field and the category we should be in has loads of sites one or two aren't even active! Presumably one of DMoz's "volunteers" works for a competitor, it the only explanation. :mad:

Submit once and forget about it. If it's a commercial category it is almost certainly being run by one of your rivals.

jamieellis, Jul 29, 2008 IP
  9. jimnoble

jimnoble Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Assuming that you're talking about the first URL in your sig, do you realise that it was listed within one of the many categories to which you suggested it in around 5 weeks?

Or weren't you complaining about that one?

jimnoble, Jul 29, 2008 IP
  10. TheReviewer

TheReviewer Banned

Best Answers:
    There is always going to be a benefit to submitting to dmoz, even in the state its in at the minute, (it desperately needs more editors). The problem with many is they expect to get listed in the category THEY want and not the category that best suits they service or product. Don't submit for traffic, submit for that little extra exposure through other sites.

I'm not an ODP editor and my opinions are totally unbias.

TheReviewer, Jul 29, 2008 IP
  11. Ivan Bajlo

Ivan Bajlo Peon

Best Answers:
    If it really needed more editors they wouldn't treat them like **** and remove on a fake charges without any defense possible.

Ivan Bajlo, Jul 29, 2008 IP
  12. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I thought that was worthy of saying twice :D

I wonder how many good editors were lost due to such things link this, or how many have left because something like that has happened to other editors. One would think that with how they treat 'webmasters' that they would at least treat their own with a bit more respect. *shrug*

Qryztufre, Jul 29, 2008 IP
  13. Ivan Bajlo

Ivan Bajlo Peon

Best Answers:
    most editors are webmasters which have been allowed in so unless they belong to holy metas circle there skin has as much value as any other webmaster and they can be kicked out anytime, no real reason is need, even slaves had more value since you had to buy them and feed them :p

Ivan Bajlo, Jul 29, 2008 IP
  14. jamieellis

jamieellis Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yes. The category it was accepted into was one for local businesses. I'll grant you that submission was dealt with very swiftly. Worth noting this was first submitted to this category a few months back.

I've suggested it IIRC to 3 relevant categories besides (as the rules I read stated I was allowed to), this one being the one I'd assume it should be listed in, the others categories after having seen other similar UK companies offering identical products listed. I don't know exactly why we haven't been included, whether there is no editor looking after this category or whether it has been rejected (I've recieved no notification) or whether someone who manages this category doesn't want to list us. It's hard not to be cynical about it all especially when I've seen this page being altered over the last year suggesting its not inactive. The lack of communication doesn't help, you don't even get an automated email to let you know if a site has been accepted/rejected.

I first submitted in 2003 which was five years ago. We are one of the largest companies of our kind in the UK employing hundreds of people, we get thousands of visits a week, we are ranked #1 by Google for the products we offer and the site works perfectly in all modern browsers and the statistics we have show that visitors are happy with our site (low bounce rate, lots of orders etc). While it's nice that we have been listed quickly as a local business in our local area, there is no reason I can fathom why we should continue to be excluded from the category for the products we specialize in.

I am not too worried from a traffic point of view as we will be found by web users looking for companies like us through search engines and DMoz traffic is minimal anyway, it’s just frustrating because so many directories are powered by DMoz and it feels like our site is being pushed to a side in favour of others unfairly or randomly. There is definately a sense of injustice and I'm sure this is really what fuels most of the complaints.

jamieellis, Jul 30, 2008 IP
  15. jjwill

jjwill Peon

Best Answers:
    I have not looked at your site or done any investigating but if it is true that you submitted back in 2003 and you have not re-submitted, then I would re-submit it again, once only, since ODP had it's unreview que wiped out a since then. Also, from first glance i believe according to the guidelines your site would only qualify for one other listing due to your shipping distribution. :)

jjwill, Jul 30, 2008 IP
  16. oneyoucantsee

oneyoucantsee Active Member

Best Answers:
    I have never had a site make it in DMOZ and all the submissions I have submitted are perfectly fine. Who knows? But then again can still hope :D

oneyoucantsee, Jul 30, 2008 IP
    robjones likes this.
  17. trichnosis

trichnosis Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    one link from dmoz is nearly equal one pr 7 link power.

but on the other side , dmoz is a paid directory. you need to pay to a dmoz editor to have listing.

trichnosis, Jul 31, 2008 IP
  18. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Most pages in DMOZ have less then PR7, so that is not fully accurate.

No one paid me for the links I added. In fact, I'm pretty sure all those Geocities pages never had a cash transaction either, so again, not fully accurate.

Qryztufre, Jul 31, 2008 IP
  19. trichnosis

trichnosis Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    i do not mean pr of the pages that a link stays.

i think you must also think

* backlinks from the dmoz clones
    *in my experience, google gives different importance to a web site when it has one link from dmoz. there is a special part related with dmoz on google algo. i dont mean "<meta name="robots" content="noodp" />" tag

trichnosis, Aug 1, 2008 IP
  20. jjwill

jjwill Peon

Best Answers:
    what? :confused:

jjwill, Aug 1, 2008 IP