1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Starting my journey in the web directory business

Discussion in 'Directories' started by Scorpiono, Jul 28, 2008.

I'm thinking very seriously about developing a web directory about web services on my new domain name web-master.me - do you think the name is decent for a web directory in this niche?

Also, I'll be using PHPLD, I think this is the most popular so I'll start from there and design myself an unique template.

Cheers

Scorpiono, Jul 28, 2008 IP
    pipes and hyper like this.
  2. Ben-AceofTech

Ben-AceofTech Active Member

Best Answers:
    In your signature it says "I'm that guy that has web-master.me for sale!" so does that mean your not going to use that domain? I think its a good domain, as its fairly short an easy to remember.

I would also agree that PHPLD is probably your best bet as its probably the most powerful and as you said most widely used.

Just take your time with your directory and try and make it as high-quality as possible. Best of luck from me.

Cheers :)

Ben-AceofTech, Jul 28, 2008 IP
    Scorpiono likes this.
  3. Scorpiono

Scorpiono Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    ty - Good pointing

Scorpiono, Jul 28, 2008 IP
  4. Event_King

Event_King Guest

Best Answers:

I doubt anybody will remember a domain like that - too many dashes and dots in the domain.

It depends on what 'web services' you intend to cover/list. Chances are you will buy a cheap script, not do an adequate job of filling it, get bored, panic because you aren't making any money, you will charge a fee, the development will stop and it will join the rest in the directory graveyard, where it's never heard of again.

If you're going to do this, there can be no half-hearted attempts. At least make it different in some way and choose a decent website name.

Event_King, Jul 28, 2008 IP
  5. Scorpiono

Best Answers:
    It's one dash and one dot - I don't think the problem will be the domain name.

I'm just new to the industry

Scorpiono, Jul 29, 2008 IP
  6. Event_King

Event_King Guest

Best Answers:

Exactly, you're new to this, new to owning/starting a directory and don't know much about the basics of what searchers needs are - I'm telling you what you need to do, so listen.

When people search, they want an uncomplicated, fast experience. This 'game' is all about being found quickly, easily and with minimium of fuss and nobody will even remember to add a dot here and a dash there, when typing into a search box. You will make it difficult at the first hurdle, and that's just plain wrong, I'm telling you you're domain won't work - choose a simple, better one. You want 'easy to remember', and as short as possible eg: 1 word or 2 words maximum!

The domain/company name must stick in people's minds, you don't want them forgetting you and using someone else.

Event_King, Jul 29, 2008 IP
    Scorpiono likes this.
  7. Scorpiono

Best Answers:
    Okay good point..

Scorpiono, Jul 29, 2008 IP
  8. gauravgrt

gauravgrt Peon

Best Answers:
    "Whats there in the name?". Just concentrate on quality content and your site will get popularity itself.

Few years back people were laughing at "google", saying what type of name is this.

gauravgrt, Jul 29, 2008 IP
  9. bposervices

bposervices Banned

Best Answers:
    best of luck dear, but just analysis comp. dir.

bposervices, Jul 29, 2008 IP
  10. Event_King

Event_King Guest

Best Answers:

It's better to have a brand name eg: Virgin, Yell.com, British Airways, etc.

Branding is in - big time in. But it must be memorable/catchy for best results. You guys don't have millions to spend on marketing so cannot force your directories onto people, so what's needed is simplicity, and it starts with the idea, followed by the domain name.

They forget your domain, and you're sunk. You make it difficult for them to find you - you're sunk.

But Google had 50k in start up funding and you don't. The name Google is very good, but it was more they had a shed load of cash to buy their way to success. Mirago was treated the same way, everyone laughed, including the banks, now those same banks are kissing them, taking them to lunches and stuff. It's a different level to anyone here.

mikey1090 likes this.
  11. mikey1090

mikey1090 Moderator Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    You should consider other scripts too. phpLD isn't necessarily the most powerful.

Esyndicat.com and phpLynx.com both offer powerful scripts that are just as good, if not better than phpLD. Don't just go with one script because it has a bigger gang either. The most popular isn't always the best.

mikey1090, Jul 29, 2008 IP
  12. IC_IC

IC_IC Peon

Best Answers:
    The name is average or below. I don't think a web directory is a good investment these days.

IC_IC, Jul 29, 2008 IP
  13. Event_King

Event_King Guest

Best Answers:
    Stand-alone general directories aren't a good idea. Proper publishing companies have them as part of their company, one main publisher owns about 80 portal sites including Totaljobs.com. It's general directory probably isn't that well known but that's not the idea is it.

Their general directory Zibb, is for the user and they had it built to add to their portfolio. These companies need to compete on size, it's about power.

14. Event_King

Event_King Guest

Best Answers:
    Why don't you make yourself known?, if you are worried about posting to me directly, then you can PM me. You might as well get it off your chest and speak man to man, then I'll know who I'm dealing with. But if you keep insulting me and not leave your name, then you're anger or frustration means nothing to me and won't have the desired effect you want it to.

But please keep wasting your time and energy on me, better that than on some junk directory that hasn't got a hope. :rolleyes:

15. IC_IC

IC_IC Peon

Best Answers:
    Don't sweat it some brave soul red rep'ed me too. Yes I should have specified that 'general' or 'low quality' directories are not worth creating these days because the market is over saturated.

IC_IC, Jul 29, 2008 IP
  16. YMC

YMC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I agree with EK (wow, am I saying that???); I think your domain has better potential for other things.

Look at it as a phrase "webmaster me" sounds like a great name for a web programming firm as in "take care of me". Though done with much thought it could work, but you will lose much of your efforts to whoever has snagged webmaster.me. I've never been a fan of hyphenated domains when someone else already has the unhyphenated version.

I recently read a book all about corporate naming. Some companies charge up to $40k for each suggested name regardless of which one, if any is used. Prices go up from there when it comes to new drugs - it's no wonder they cost so darn much.

YMC, Jul 29, 2008 IP
    Event_King likes this.
  17. Scorpiono

Best Answers:
    Ok, no more directory! :D

Scorpiono, Jul 30, 2008 IP