1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Weird PR Update - Message To Google Or Matt Cutts Abt PR Algo

Discussion in 'Google' started by jhnrang, Jul 27, 2008.

Well Matt

I understand u guys @ GPlex are trying to clean up of G SERP and its manipulation by way of changing PR algo.

But - this PR update (also last update) has thrown lots of questions ............ about the viability of your current PR algo.

I'll try to put across my point here with some illustration regarding my own sites (without revealing the exact URLs--that I observed has become a universal phenomenon across the web)

1)Directories --
    I understand that you count links from directories - but you don't want links from each and every directory to have an influence on SERPs.. So you have taken away PR value from categories of even top and trusted web directories like this category from botw -

http://botw.org/top/Recreation/Humor/

While I understand - you don't want the link to manipulate the SERP - what is the use of assigning PR to a directory page generated dynamically for a search result that is so common with every web directory like --

http://www.mydirectory.tld/index.php?s=A&p=1&search=paid
    http://www.mydirectory.tld/index.php?s=H&p=1&search=promotion

(This is my own directory and I am not revealing the exact URL. However, I'll provide it through PM to whosoever is interested)

The home page is PR4 and none of the categories have PR ( I have no problem with that).

But why assign PR3 to a page that is dynamically generated by the cript?:confused:

2) Blogs -

Everybody knows webmasters/SEOs prefer contextual links in the form of blogpost. So Google has been punishing blogs that sell blogpost with links.

But when http://myblog.tld is PR N/A

why should a post from same blog like the URL

http://myblog.tld/.........-........-........-........../

show PR2?:confused: (Have not sold a single link on it)

I hope the message of imperfect Google PR Algo reach Matt and they work on it.

Just to clarify--

I am neither against PR or for it.:cool:

I think my mates on DP also have same questions and help me take the point to Matt & big daddy G.

Cherrs:cool:

jhnrang, Jul 27, 2008 IP
    Bryce likes this.
  2. angilina

angilina Notable Member

Best Answers:
    "But why assign PR3 to a page that is dynamically generated by the cript?"

You are so right. One of my site's pages is a simple form to post forms, and google has given it a PR2. There were about 3 such pages, used only to post comments, all were PR2 however, I don't understand why the pages where the comments were shown were PR N/A ? I have removed all those pages.

angilina, Jul 27, 2008 IP
  3. jhnrang

jhnrang Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Have not done so as yet- but I'm thinking of solving the mater through G WM console and ask them to remove those pages from my index.:)

jhnrang, Jul 27, 2008 IP
  4. canam

canam Peon

Best Answers:
    I have noticed that too many really new unproven sites have shown big jumps in pr and many older sites with alot of links have lost pr, even to pr0... it makes no sense these changes in algorithm

canam, Jul 27, 2008 IP
  5. Bryce

Bryce Peon

Best Answers:
    I've seen the same discrepencies canam is mentioning... Maybe it's Google's way of making the newer sites' owners happy while pissing everybody else off.

Bryce, Jul 27, 2008 IP
  6. JeremiaSK8

JeremiaSK8 Active Member

Best Answers:
    PR updates don't make sense at all sometimes. I mean I've seen some crazy PR changes on sites that contain quality content...

JeremiaSK8, Jul 27, 2008 IP
  7. seo daddy

seo daddy Active Member

Best Answers:
    Same here!

I just noticed one of my sites has taken a hit PR5 down to Pr 2 :confused:

and my main one has been beaten from PR6 to PR4 :confused::mad:

So irritating more than anything else....
    I know my serps havent changed and the sites are totally white hat, quality content and BETTER than they were for the last PR update with no dodgy link building or any other things like that.

Its like Google kicking us in the teeth for no reason at all....soooo frustrating :rolleyes:

And even though I have never really cared a huge amount about PR....it makes me very annoyed seeing trash sites with PR6 or higher

seo daddy, Jul 27, 2008 IP
  8. JeremiaSK8

JeremiaSK8 Active Member

Best Answers:
    seo daddy: I hear you. Keep up the good work mate! Anyway a good rank in the top 5 for a competitive niche is much better than a PR 6 or a PR 5. ;)

JeremiaSK8, Jul 27, 2008 IP
  9. IEmailer.com

IEmailer.com Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You are right and i totally agree with you about this issue... PR is only important if you want to sell links on your websites.

IEmailer.com, Jul 27, 2008 IP