1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Google removing old penalties on websites

Discussion in 'Google' started by shihtzu, Jul 27, 2008.

Notice: This thread is not about PR

I opened a thread about a statement made by a very popular person from Google and it seems has been removed. If I made something wrong (maybe by mentioning his name), please advise me. I simply wanted to create a discussion and maybe find what kind of penalties have been lifted, so here's the quote:

"I’m expecting that also in the next few days that we’ll be expiring some older penalties on websites."

Can't find any more info apart from the above statement. Did anyone have a penalized website and noticed a drastic increase in rankings these last couple days? I wonder what exactly all this means.

shihtzu, Jul 27, 2008 IP
  2. FREE BET

FREE BET Peon

Best Answers:
    i dont think that by mentioning the name you would get penalized, it would be a 1st amendment right....

FREE BET, Jul 27, 2008 IP
  3. Christopher

Christopher Peon

Best Answers:
    Heh, you don't get first amendment rights on a forum. A forum master gets to rule like a dictator on his own forums.

I've had some dramatic increases in specific key word serps, but not a site overall.

Christopher, Jul 27, 2008 IP
  4. depositlaw

depositlaw Peon

Best Answers:
    google can probably penalize whatever it wants with respect to appearing in its organic search results without running afoul of the 1st amendment. They aren't interfering w/ your free speech if they remove something posted on one of their sites either. But if they hacked into another site to remove something you wrote, that would be a lot more serious than the 1st amendment!

depositlaw, Jul 27, 2008 IP
  5. proprod

proprod Active Member

Best Answers:
    Matt Cutts wrote it... http://www.mattcutts.com/blog/google-pagerank-update/

There you go :)

proprod, Jul 27, 2008 IP
  6. SEOibiza

SEOibiza Peon

Best Answers:
    i think it was the PR aspect of the post (that has been discussed constantly and tediously) here for the last 48 hours solid that probably got it removed.

SEOibiza, Jul 27, 2008 IP
  7. shihtzu

shihtzu Peon

Best Answers:
    I did not mention PR at all, and infact it's not about PR. I just wrote a simple post as the 1st one here, trying to figure out what 'old penalties' could have expired.

Some insight will be appreciated and thanks all for your comments.

shihtzu, Jul 27, 2008 IP
  8. angilina

angilina Notable Member

Best Answers:
    The statement was made by MattCutts in his blog. I think it simply means that Google will remove the penalties on different sites in the next few days. Good news for all people who have there sites penalized in the past.

angilina, Jul 27, 2008 IP
  9. Bryce

Bryce Peon

Best Answers:
    The moderators here are merging the PR related threads because it's ridiculous to have hundreds of them in this folder. We don't need another one to discuss what Cutts said... who cares ??

Bryce, Jul 27, 2008 IP
  10. shihtzu

shihtzu Peon

Best Answers:
    Bryce, this thread is not about PR :rolleyes:

We're the discussing the issue about penalized websites. I always thought that after filing a reinclusion request, you can have your site back in the index (or ranking back to normal) if it's clear of all offending practices.

It seems though, that this is not the case and we all have to wait for Google's own timings.

shihtzu, Jul 27, 2008 IP
  11. canam

canam Peon

Best Answers:
    it is so hard to tell how much a site may be penalized without knowing more about the algorithm

many of us suspect some kind of partial penalty, when new sites are ranking higher or getting pr over an older site that has backlinks that doesn't even know what or if it did anything wrong to incur a penalty (many are innocently caught up in some part of the algorithm that mistakenly labels them as growing too fast or getting too many links too fast or damaged by blackhat linking to them that they had no control over, etc....)

canam, Jul 27, 2008 IP
  12. Bryce

Bryce Peon

Best Answers:
    canam is correct here. Google is not divulging any real information about what the penalties are, how they are incurred or a remedy to them. I sugget asking Matt Cutts directly on his blog because he seems to be the only person in the universe who has the information you're seeking.

Bryce, Jul 27, 2008 IP
  13. shihtzu

shihtzu Peon

Best Answers:
    Hmm many SEO pros say that incoming links can't hurt you, since if that was the case, competitors can harm each other very easily. I would have thought any spammy incoming links would be discounted at most.

If I had to ask a "simple" question:

Did any of you ever had a website which was penalized, filed a reinclusion request and was back to normal in couple days, weeks or months?

Maybe Google is releasing websites from "jail" only now? But why now?

shihtzu, Jul 27, 2008 IP
  14. gafadi

gafadi Peon

Best Answers:
    they remove old penalties means , is my website banned from google can have google ads again ?

gafadi, Jul 27, 2008 IP
  15. shihtzu

shihtzu Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks Bryce for your reply, but many people are asking same questions on his blog and he's avoiding answering them. I thought some people who might have had their website ranking again, might shed more light on this matter.

Another quote from same post "I figured the SEO industry could use something to discuss"

And we're discussing now on his request :p

shihtzu, Jul 27, 2008 IP
  16. JeremiaSK8

JeremiaSK8 Active Member

Best Answers:
    As Matt Cutts said penalized sites may be back in the game soon. Personally I don't think Google will remove the old penalties from websites in masses...

JeremiaSK8, Jul 27, 2008 IP
  17. canam

canam Peon

Best Answers:
    worse scenario I can think of is when some spammers pick up on your site to use in their links to add to their spamming to somehow hide their links amongst them....... I have seen that often, and if your site somehow gets more of their spamlinks linking to you that outnumbers the legit links that you have, I really believe that google will unfairly punish your site and the punishment seems to persist

that might be a good tactic for the blackhatters to pick up on, if you put a competitors site link in with a bunch of bad neighborhood spam links and then spam the whole list of links all over the place, it seems to me that the legit site is at a big risk of some kind of penalty if the spam links start to outnumber their legit links (and probably a smaller site with less legit links is really at risk I think)

I hope that the above is wrong and that what I have observed was just a coincidence, but it sure seems like the above is what is happening out there

canam, Jul 27, 2008 IP
  18. shihtzu

shihtzu Peon

Best Answers:
    What I don't understand ... a penalty is a penalty ... or do they expire now as well?

Also, if a website was penalized and cleaned their act, they had to wait for days, weeks, months, years ... until Google made up their minds?

shihtzu, Jul 27, 2008 IP
  19. JeremiaSK8

JeremiaSK8 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Google is like women, they change their decisions every day, and you don't know what they'll do next day.

JeremiaSK8, Jul 27, 2008 IP
  20. shihtzu

shihtzu Peon

Best Answers:
    haha now I get it :p

shihtzu, Jul 27, 2008 IP