1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

dissapointed in DMOZ

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by AlexP, May 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lmocr

lmocr Peon

Best Answers:
    Editors do list sites based on how they feel, but (and this part is important ;) ) they don't delete sites based on how they feel. Any other editor is free to come along and list something (as long as it's listable) that any other editor didn't "feel" like listing. :)

lmocr, May 3, 2006 IP
    sidjf likes this.
  2. compostannie

compostannie Peon

Best Answers:
    No, it doesn't. It means we avoid certain categories based on whatever we darn well feel like avoiding.

LOL, You can't be serious! Do you really expect me to worry about what minstrel will say to me about the pedophilia cats? :D

Since so many people seem so offended that I don't want to review the OP's site, I went ahead and reviewed it. (Mostly for shygirls sake.) My first and last edit in tobacco. ;)

compostannie, May 3, 2006 IP
    maldives and lmocr like this.
  3. GeorgeB.

GeorgeB. Notable Member

Best Answers:
    BS on multiple levels.

Level A) Sites get delisted all the time after they are posted for sale in forums and mention that they are "DMOZ Listed". Editors see it, go and checked it out and decide, for WHATEVER reason they feel like, to delist it. I've got a DMOZ editior right here saying so....

Level B) Unless you're a mind reader or belong to the psychic friends network please refrain from making any statements about why anyone does anything anywhere in the world ever. Thanks.

Level C) Since when are editors that are not assigned to a specific category able to edit that category? You said any editor can come along and list something others didnt feel like listing.

GeorgeB., May 3, 2006 IP
  4. compostannie

compostannie Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't bother doing that. However, if a site changes then it needs a new review.

You don't have to be a mind reader to pass along information that you know to be true from experience. I'll take information based on experience over psychic friends BS anyday. :rolleyes:

It's always been like that. I'm not specifically assigned to edit Shopping/Tobacco but can if I choose to, as can hundreds of other editors. I can also choose not to whether you like it or not.

That's an easy one, it comes from the editing logs, and she was being conservative.

5. vanderberg

vanderberg Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    They are all hypocrites!!!

vanderberg, May 3, 2006 IP
    EveryQuery likes this.
  6. lmocr

lmocr Peon

Best Answers:
    My ability to count :p

lmocr, May 3, 2006 IP
  7. GeorgeB.

GeorgeB. Notable Member

Best Answers:
    .... or someone had a hair accross their ass. Unless you were there handing them coffee at the keyboard that day you can't tell me you know why. Sorry it's the whole "human edited" thing. Tough to dedefend I know. Especially the "human" part.

Unless he was there handing them coffee.... errr... ditto on what i just said.

Ahhh, arrogance is refreshing. I was tired of being the only one. :) The following human emotions and conditions are the reason why DMOZ will never be a fair or even remotely relevant listing of all the cool interesting and worthwile websites out there today and in th years to come......

- Self importance
    - Greed
    - Arrogance
    - Ignorance
    - Ego

Here's a cool analogy for you to sleep on.... DMOZ is like Osama Bin Laden. It's one of those things that's really serious but at the same time is a joke. You make jokes about it because the system is so obviously flawed any attempts to defend it are laughable. Yet it's serious because Google still weighs it's links heavily. Just like Osama is serious because he's a terrorist asshole but is a joke because hes become an irrelevant cave dwelling hippie.

GeorgeB., May 3, 2006 IP
    maldives likes this.
  8. compostannie

compostannie Peon

Best Answers:
    GeorgeB you don't make a bit of sense.

Has it occured to you that it doesn't even matter if I don't want to edit in certain categories? With over half a million categories I could edit until I die and still not touch them all. Get a grip on reality.

9. GeorgeB.

GeorgeB. Notable Member

Best Answers:
    That's because it's 12:32 in Michigan..

You said.. "I don't bother doing that. However, if a site changes then it needs a new review."

The part in bold is what I was replying to. So with that in mind read that again and see if that helps.

GeorgeB., May 3, 2006 IP
  10. compostannie

compostannie Peon

Best Answers:
    Ok George, fact is I don't bother doing that, like I said. Maybe some other editors do. It is a fact that if a site changes it should have a new review. However, since I don't go out looking for sites that are being sold, I personaly do not unreview or rereview sites that are sold. Can you understand that?

And I hate to tell you this, but you're wrong about the time in Michigan too. Although I hardly see how that would be relevant. :)

You still don't make any sense.

11. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Another one, same source:

"Why do you sit there looking like an envelope without any address on it?" ~ Mark Twain

minstrel, May 3, 2006 IP
  12. GeorgeB.

GeorgeB. Notable Member

Best Answers:
    "There's a word for any organization that doesn't enforce accountability within it's ranks - chaos" ~ GeorgeB

GeorgeB., May 3, 2006 IP
  13. Cheap SEO Services

Cheap SEO Services <------DoFollow Backlinks

Best Answers:
    DMOZ no good for me either! Tried 18 months ago and every 3 months after that. My main site still not there!

Cheap SEO Services, May 3, 2006 IP
  14. minstrel

Best Answers:
    Clarification: I wasn't taking a shot at Annie. I just like Mark Twain.

minstrel, May 3, 2006 IP
  15. compostannie

compostannie Peon

Best Answers:
    I knew that, I like him too. ;)

16. GeorgeB.

GeorgeB. Notable Member

Best Answers:
    The freshness a new day brings... first yeah I was wrong as for some reason I thought Michigan was in the Central timezone...

Also I totally read your statement wrong. You were saying that if a site itself changed then it needs to be reviewed to which I agree. I thought you were saying that if a site's status changed then that's because it needed to be reviewed.

GeorgeB., May 4, 2006 IP
  17. compostannie

compostannie Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, that's it exactly! Sometimes a site is sold and the content remains the same and that's perfectly fine.

Sometimes a site is sold and the new owner puts up new content. When that happens, very often the new content will be completely different. In that case, it should be reviewed as if it is a new site, because really, it is a new site.

compostannie, May 4, 2006 IP
  18. maldives

maldives Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Make sure you have followed submission guidelines very well. Submitting to DMOZ in every three months is not recommended. I have heard from editors here that some catagories are really busy and takes upto 01 year to get included.

maldives, May 4, 2006 IP
  19. minstrel

Best Answers:
    Whereas other categories are not very busy and may take anywhere from 0.1 to 10 years to get included... :rolleyes:

Fact: There is no time frame other than infinity. Everything is acording to the mood and whim of the editor.

minstrel, May 4, 2006 IP
  20. compostannie

compostannie Peon

Best Answers:
    Exactly! Every time we log on to edit, each one of us has the freedom to work where we want to, according to our mood and whim. Since we are allowed that freedom, much more work gets done as we can always find a category we find appealing no matter what our mood. Sometimes I like a challenge, so off I go to something backlogged and spammy. Other times I might feel like looking at puppies.

I hear a dmoz listing makes a big difference in the success of a website, that big money is at stake. Other times I hear it's just a link and doesn't matter. I don't know which is true and I don't care. This is just a hobby to most of us so we work according to our moods and whims. But everyone should already know that. When it stops being fun, I'll have to resign and find a new hobby to take its place. When that happens, no categories will benefit from my moods and whims. ;)

compostannie, May 4, 2006 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.