1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

My links removed... again!

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by Ivan Bajlo, Jul 26, 2008.

I see nothing has changed at DMOZ in these months I've been away, categories I use to maintain are still dead as a dodo and number of links I use to have listed has been cut down from 11 to only 3.

I wonder which excuse was used to remove my links this time?

Ivan Bajlo, Jul 26, 2008 IP
    robjones and pctec like this.
  2. robjones

robjones Notable Member

Best Answers:
    No clue, Ivan, always been pretty impressed by your site. Had it present in my history cats when i was there.

robjones, Jul 26, 2008 IP
  3. Event_King

Event_King Guest

Best Answers:
    I hate dmoz with a vengence, hate for what they do, stand for and make themselves out to be the be all and end all in the directory world.

Am shocked so many still rate dmoz, and the begging webmasters that waste much time pursuing something so useless and clearly not set up for webmasters. It's not a service of any kind and I have never done a full search on dmoz for any real companies in my life and never will.

There are better resources out there, which can be found in 30 minutes on a search engine.

Event_King, Jul 26, 2008 IP
    pctec and canam like this.
  4. robjones

robjones Notable Member

Best Answers:
    rofl. You gotta quit sugar-coating things and tell us how you really feel.

robjones, Jul 26, 2008 IP
    pctec likes this.
  5. Event_King

Event_King Guest

Best Answers:
    Well, websites should be clear from the start about their intentions, and as many make the mistake of using dmoz as a traffic driver, dmoz hasn't done a great job of putting people straight. If they had, then they wouldn't get spammed in the first place.

A simple bit of text on the homepage would suffice. Details......... Dmoz isn't directly to blame, but it's a major contributor.

This whole freebie idea was a mistake from the start of the web. Many now pay the price and can't make money because everyone expects a 'deal' or free advertising. I expect everything to go paid, discounts heavily reduced and extra fees added where possible to include many websites and businesses across all sectors.

Then if people want a link, they'll have to pay. Problem solved.

Event_King, Jul 26, 2008 IP
  6. malcolm1

malcolm1 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    ohhh god ... dont get him started :D

laterz
    malcolm

malcolm1, Jul 26, 2008 IP
  7. Ivan Bajlo

Ivan Bajlo Peon

Best Answers:
    That is what puzzles me, my links got removed only after I left this and other DMOZ forums and give up on DMOZ ranting since it was pointless. :confused:

Did someone miss me over there and hopes to provoke me to start bashing again? Death! Death! :p

Ivan Bajlo, Jul 27, 2008 IP
  8. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    No, please not EK. It will be another of those long threads. :D

You have good sites Ivan. A link in DMOZ is no biggie. My perception now is if someone has a good site and content and it got whacked, not listed or cannot be listed its just would be a loss for them not for site owners. :)

popotalk, Jul 27, 2008 IP
    pctec likes this.
  9. robjones

robjones Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Don't know what to tell you Ivan, I was impressed that most of the old crew in here had moved on to more productive things. Honestly wouldn't lose sleep over it... the way the google bounces around these days, tomorrow their algorithm may decide that too many links there is spam and penalize you for it. Be funny if they accidentally did you a favor.

[Just kidding on that part... not trying to predict the algorithm, Chaos Theory is way beyond my paygrade and how G handles their search is their call.]

==ADDED:

Seriously I wouldn't rule out the possibility Robozilla flagged them and they'll show back up. Can't verify that, just sounds more likely than someone targeting your sites. All IMO.

robjones, Jul 27, 2008 IP
  10. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    They will not tell you because you do not matter, the only thing that matters is THEM. LOL, well, just ask a current editor, they will certainly tell you you are not guaranteed a listing blah blah blah... that leaves only speculation.

My personal favorite is that only long standing editors like Skrenta are allowed more then one deeplink ;)

It is kind of odd that people have pointed to a few more spammy sites which are seemingly still listed though. Maybe your sites were too good of quality?

Maybe an editor scrapped the content of your sites and theirs are now listed?

No telling really, as like I said, with the lack of communication, the only thing that is left is speculation...

Maybe your payment subscription expired? ;)

Qryztufre, Jul 28, 2008 IP
  11. crowbar

crowbar Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, of course, we missed you Ivan, you're like family now. :D Who do you think slipped you the hack saw blade, bro? I knew you could get out. ;)

crowbar, Jul 28, 2008 IP
  12. Ivan Bajlo

Ivan Bajlo Peon

Best Answers:
    If I cared I would probably noticed it much earlier, heck even Google had time to update their version so removal occurred weeks or months ago! :D

That makes sense it would be much easier to program Robozilla to do the dirty work of regularly checking former editor websites and delisting them at the first chance it got and since nobody maintains does categories anymore there is zero chance of links every getting listed again. :cool:

Ivan Bajlo, Jul 29, 2008 IP
  13. Ivan Bajlo

Ivan Bajlo Peon

Best Answers:
    Well that was the reason they removed me in the first place, I was creating way too good website which I could list without breaking any rules and since I had no real competitors I would go on listing rampage adding dozens of links for free which made me a dangerous competitor to all those editors living from SEO. :p

I have no competitors so it can only be jealousy.

Hey your right, my credit card expired and metas didn't get their paycheck last month! :eek:

14. Ivan Bajlo

Ivan Bajlo Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm in your debt, Don crowbar!

[​IMG]

Don crowbar, I am honored and grateful that you have invited me to your home on the wedding day of your daughter. And may their first child be a masculine child.

Qryztufre likes this.
  15. budalata

budalata Peon

Best Answers:
    Sigh...the whole world is against you...so sorry :(

Re-read Rob's post
    You will be surprised to see the results from our next search DB update. Meanwhile, although I like your site, I dont intend to rush through and list again your pages.

BTW - your role as a victim is a good one. Keep on playing it ;)

budalata, Jul 30, 2008 IP
    robjones likes this.
  16. Ivan Bajlo

Ivan Bajlo Peon

Best Answers:
    You mixed something up, it is whole world against DMOZ not me, I got plenty of worshipers who bring me human sacrifices each day. :p

[​IMG]

I'll believe it when I see it, DMOZ can hardly be called trustworthy organization.

It is easy since DMOZ is doing all the work I don't even have to get up from bed. :p

Ivan Bajlo, Jul 30, 2008 IP
    syted likes this.
  17. snowalker

snowalker Member

Best Answers:
    I think DMOZ isn't trusty. I've been expected my website to be submitted 2 months ago and still... nothing :(

snowalker, Aug 3, 2008 IP