1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

If you want your google bar to show the updated pageranks do this....

Discussion in 'Google' started by jburdon14, Jul 25, 2008.

Welp, I am relatively new to the forums but hopefully after this post I will have some new friends... It may already be posted somewhere and if it is I apoligize.

If you want your google bar to display the updated pageranks this is all you have to do:

This took me less than 1 minute.

Depending on which version of Windows you are running,
    go to:
    c:\winnt\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
    or
    c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

Note: hosts is a file in the etc folder

and insert this line:
    216.239.33.100 toolbarqueries.google.com
    (I used wordpad to open the file)

I do not know how accurate these changes are but I do know that it shows a differnt listing for my site... Hope it helps... Dont be mad if it doesn't haha.

jburdon14, Jul 25, 2008 IP
  2. Camay123

Camay123 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    it doesnt do a difference for me.

Camay123, Jul 25, 2008 IP
  3. LiverpoolAnfield

LiverpoolAnfield Peon

Best Answers:
    Well....i tried this technique, but i got a fluctuating PR on the toolbar as in that sometimes my website was showing PR 10 for 4-5 pages accessed. But sometimes it did not any rank and stated "No information available" in the PR toolbar...What does it mean ????

LiverpoolAnfield, Jul 25, 2008 IP
  4. qbty

qbty Peon

Best Answers:
    Wait... how does this work? I mean, what is the logic that allows for this? And why doesn't someone build a site that runs this script so we can use this would editing files.

qbty, Jul 25, 2008 IP
  5. ahmadfarhan

ahmadfarhan Peon

Best Answers:
    the guy might just want to be helpfull and redirect toolbar queries to an updated datacenter..
    but putting in a random ip from someone on the internet into your hostfile isn't something you should do... ever..

ahmadfarhan, Jul 26, 2008 IP
  6. qbty

qbty Peon

Best Answers:
    That was a little along the line of what I was thinking.

qbty, Jul 26, 2008 IP
  7. pubdomainshost.com

pubdomainshost.com Peon

Best Answers:
    toolbarqueries.google.com is the standard URL for tool bar queries. Like DNS propagation, I guess it takes a while for Google Datacenters to get updated. Changes made to hosts file is not likely to be very productive for the simple reason that you may force fetching data from only one IP where as google often redirects your queries for load balancing (as you would notice that you type google.com and you end up searching on google.co.uk ... as an example)
    Also, before hosts file, you would do well to flush dns on your computer, because the sequence to lookup IP address is first in cache, next in hosts and finally depend upon other dns servers to get the requested URL's IP.

And I echo same sentiments as mentioned in previous post .. to watch out what you enter in your host file because you may end up visiting a site that you never really wanted to.

Thx
    GS

pubdomainshost.com, Jul 26, 2008 IP