1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Does this happen to anyone else? Is it writier's block?

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by shkad14, Jul 22, 2008.

The past couple of days, I have been having a weird problem as I sit down to write. All day long I go over the nights writing projects, getting a good idea of how each article will go. Sometimes, I have the best article ever written stored in my head.

I sit down to write my assignments and the rich text editor in my head...goes as blank as the white piece of paper I am looking at. All the plans, all the meditation-gone- Its like there is nothing in my head.

Other times, (and this happens alot) I will be typing a phrase and I will forget what I was thinking by the time I get to the end of the phrase. I will go back and re-read the phrase and not have a clue where I was going. It's like I get so focused on typing, I forget what I was thinking. Then, I forget to think ahead to the next thing I should be thinking. So, I try to remember what I was thinking while trying to think about what I was going to think about before I got lost- until finally, I need a knap :eek:

Please tell me I can overcome this. I am so frustrated at myself.

Am I trying to write the article to fast?
    Am I not getting enough sleep? I work a full time job in addition to this. I dont start writing until 9:00pm and finish around 1:00am. I then get up for work at 5-6:00am

Also, the hardest part of any assignment is the opening paragraph. I think I have psyched myself out or something.

shkad14, Jul 22, 2008 IP
  2. lightless

lightless Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I'd say it's stress and maybe biting off more than you can chew.
    Take it easy, sleep well, focus on only a few good assignments.

Work to live, don't live to work. But don't take that philosophy to the extreme like me :D

lightless, Jul 22, 2008 IP
  3. marketjunction

marketjunction Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    darn it. Had a long post and decided against it. I really need to put my knowledge out there on a blog some day. :)

You know that you can write the intro last right?

Here's a tip: outline.

You can always tell writers who don't outline (at least I can), because their work doesn't flow logically and usually has a least a few continuity issues. Outlines helps you put together a better "package" and you'll write faster.

When stuck, start anywhere in the outline and start plugging away. Don't confuse writing with editing (another thing many writers do, which is why they get "writer's block"--sucks to be them). Just write. You can edit when it's done.

Again, don't edit. I don't care if you accidently write "You know, I could really go for a glass of wine and a bubble bath right now." in your article. LEAVE IT! Keep on moving until the end.

Anyway, thanks. I've been slowly working (as in trying to build the Empire State Building out of Legos slow) on an Internet writing course and I think I'll use my answers to your Q's that I didn't post in it.

Keep those question coming. ;)

Good luck!

marketjunction, Jul 22, 2008 IP
  4. Live2Write

Live2Write Active Member

Best Answers:
    Stress...Stress...Stress
    No writers block as you presume to be (my thoughts). You are sleeping for 4 hours and guess your brain cells are calling for more rest to generate creative juices! Why don't you compare by taking a writing assignment on a holiday and a working day? You should be getting an answer!

Live2Write, Jul 22, 2008 IP
  5. jhmattern

jhmattern Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Right. Get on it.

I actually just said the same thing on my freelance writing blog tonight - but I said it an hour before you. Take that! :p

Excellent tip. I'm actually probably pulling an all-nighter tonight doing exactly that - outlining (articles for one client, some marketing copy for another, some blog posts for my own sites, etc.). I feel your pain, and periodically experience the same things. Outlining really does help the writing process move along smoothly.

jhmattern, Jul 22, 2008 IP
  6. latoya

latoya Active Member

Best Answers:
    Sometimes leaving it alone for awhile then coming back to it with a fresh mind helps.

There are times that I absolutely cannot focus on writing. Those times, I don't force myself to write. I do something else instead. Read, research, watch tv, some other hobby. Other times, I have a writing spurt and I take advantage of it by writing until I can't write anymore.

latoya, Jul 22, 2008 IP
  7. marketjunction

Best Answers:
    Yeah, well I've been saying it for years. :p

You could say it a million times and it would still need to be said, because apparently most writers can't just write. They've got to tinker while writing. It's tough, I know.

Anyone else hate working in the summer? It's a good few months to just take off and do nothing. :)

Yeah, that's the way to do it.

Last week I went ballistic and wrote like I'd never write before one day and then took six days off. It might of had something to do with having my first coffee (Venti Carmel Macchiato from S-Bucks) in about 8.5 months. ;)

marketjunction, Jul 22, 2008 IP
  8. jhmattern

jhmattern Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    You go old man. ;) j/k

Me, Me, ME! I don't think anything kills my productivity more than the heat and humidity in the summer. I really need to move to England or something - or further up the east coast here at the bare minimum. One of these days....

It's tough at times not to self-edit as you go. For simple things, my fingers kind of do it naturally while I'm typing without me thinking about it. Here's the way it might work for me: I can either A) churn something out in 10 minutes and then spend another 5 or 10 editing it, or B) I can spend 30 or so minutes editing while writing in the first place. Even when you logically know you need to knock it off, it can still be hard once in a while.

jhmattern, Jul 22, 2008 IP
  9. ashvaj

ashvaj Active Member

Best Answers:
    On the contrary, I find summers to be the best times when I can sit down for long day hours and write with no distractions. It is extremely hot in the part of the world I live in and you do not find people on the roads even.Markets are slow during the summers and the best way is to spend more time with computer.However, stress is the one thing that every writer must avoid.Write only when you feel like writing.You will produce crap otherwise.Creativity comes from within and you cannot create anything in stress.

ashvaj, Jul 23, 2008 IP
  10. Zmags_JD

Zmags_JD Peon

Best Answers:
    Shut your work down, get some fresh air and get back to your desk.

Try doing some tasks getting back in the rhytm: stream-of-conscious-writing (no stops allowed in 5 mins), write your entry as a fairy-tale / letter / speech. Try different approaches and it will come back to you. As long as you give it some time and don't force anything.

Zmags_JD, Jul 23, 2008 IP
  11. WriteResults

WriteResults Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree with don't edit - it can be a killer. Also, try an exercise that I use when writing fiction, that is, write yourself into the subject and accept that you will probably cut the first 100 words or so. (In my case of writing a novel the first 5,000 went!) If you feel you have 'writers block' then the only cure is to 'just write', even if its nonsense, just get yourself back into the habit of writing again.

However, I think its more likely that you are just tired and stressed. Maybe you need to take a rest from it, or cut your workload.

Good luck

Christine

As for working through the summer - Im in the UK - what summer??????

WriteResults, Jul 23, 2008 IP
    jhmattern likes this.
  12. spacepide11

spacepide11 Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree with the previous posters, you should put the work away for a bit. Give yourself time to clear your mind of distracting thoughts, and turn off your internal editor.

spacepide11, Jul 23, 2008 IP
  13. marketjunction

Best Answers:
    If you'd like to experience a hot summer, come to Vegas in July or August.

I find that during these months I'll try to sleep in and start my work late in the day.

It's 90F - 100F even at midnight. :)

marketjunction, Jul 23, 2008 IP
  14. JoseArmando

JoseArmando Active Member

Best Answers:
    When this kind of thing happens I just clear my mind and imagine having my little brother in front of me and narrating the article to him.

Words just start flowing after that because it somehow feels different narrating to someone you know then just writing it for this random audience.

JoseArmando, Jul 23, 2008 IP