1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Vanishing roads - great disclaimer

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by expat, May 6, 2004.

Whilst surfing travel related sites I earmarked last night I found this gem in a disclaimer

......Data provided on this page is for refrence only. When using any driving directions or map, verify first that all roads still exist, watch out for construction, and follow all traffic safety precautions.......

It triggered my vivid imagination of outriders forging ahead to find the all elusive pass..... what is one to do when the developer rolled up the road and moved it, call 911? I see stranded motorists looking across a vast field where there once was a 4 lane highway.....

Thank god over here it is very, very rare that a road gets nicked or is abducted by aliens....

Have a nice day
    M

expat, May 6, 2004 IP
  2. hans

hans Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    having worked in the heart of africa for an extended while
    i know how it feels when roads marked on the road map no longer exist - it was normal to experience that ...
    when bridges across a river are flushed away
    ... dispite using world class road maps

even army vehicles got stuck ( and thus the army has been prvented from harming others :)

only a real solit 4wd toyota landcruiser, africa version - could do the job - road or no road ...
    the max gas consumption once was 100 liter per 100 km - deep in muddy province of Zaire behind Dilolo - i always carried 3 barrels of gas with me in the toyota - no gas station at all.

hence
    that disclaimer is VERY realistic and honest - for many (MOST) countries on this planet
    except in US may be

HERE in PH roads and bridges as well get flushed away or become victim of large scale landslide in rainy season high up in the mountains
    and stay away for weeks or months

hans, May 6, 2004 IP
  3. expat

expat Stranger from a far land

Best Answers:
    Hans,

must have been a great experience. Having been in Malysia Korea Sahara desert before the advent of mobile phones and GPS and in the far north of Canada etc I know the feeling of a "missing" or unpassable sort of road.

I agree it's honest but also it's fun to see this on a US interstate travel site.

It also reminds me of the cartoon with the big sign in the middle of nowhere

You want to be here

But you are not.

You are lost.
    M

expat, May 6, 2004 IP
  4. hans

hans Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    expat

and just for those cases when you think to be lost ( and MOST people ARE lost in life !! )
    its good to know the OTHER way
    home
    out of any location
    out of any situation
    :) !!!

hans, May 6, 2004 IP
  5. schlottke

schlottke Peon

Best Answers:
    That really would be quite a problem, lol. I'm glad I don't have to deal with that in day to day life.

schlottke, May 6, 2004 IP
  6. Foxy

Foxy Chief Natural Foodie

Best Answers:
    Great Post guys:)

Foxy, May 6, 2004 IP
  7. GrandCanyon

GrandCanyon Banned

Best Answers:
    Wow this is the oldest (open) thread in GC it seems.....

GrandCanyon, Jul 23, 2008 IP