1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Getting traffic to your website without loosing your shirt

Discussion in 'Google AdWords' started by alexanderberson, Jul 23, 2008.

Today i want to share my personal experience with respect to Google Adwords and marketing campaign in general.

I have heard this too many times "i spend too much money on adwords and i got no results. it sucks!". Yes? Can you recall this statement?
    I admit. I was one of those people screaming from the top of my lungs and yes i did lose good chunk of money by being naive. I didn't understand the nature of the adwords system and the competition in general. I am not saying i am a pro however i want to share few things that i think would benefit everyone on this forum.

Here is what to do:

1) Choosing the keywords. For those who are in competitive niche market, this applies especially. Lets say you have a dating website. The cost of the keyword "date" or "free dating" could be worth well over 5 dollars because of such intense competition, people constantly inflating the price. Again, using the same example, if you are in dating business and you are running dating website, can you really afford 5 dollars per each click and here is better question, will that convert into sales?

2) I would misspell the words. Ex instead of dating, i would compete for words: daing, daging, datr and etc. So far i have had good results, people misspell all the time. As a matter of fact, good bunch of people making a living just by buying misspelled names of websites that have heavy traffic and the results not surprising.

3) Again, using same example. If you own dating site and you live in New York, instead of very competitive word: dating: why not choose, New York dating now.... New York dating singles...etc....

4) Choosing the wording of the ad wisely. How many times you see those ads lined up on the far right side and they all look the same. Notice it? Do you want better results? Then you need to make your ad unique. You need to know how humans behave. Humans love curiosity. If you can make them curious about your ad----they would pay to click it[:D] So make it different from all the other ads. Don’t be afraid of change. You have nothing to lose. If people don't click it, then change it up and at the same time observe what your competition is doing. Keep an eye on them. It is tough business with lots of sharks. Don’t' be a donkey. You need to be a shark to make money in this world.

5) I would personally avoid small search engines. Simply because a lot of ppc fraud going on. I lost too much money on them. No matter what the name is....most likely they get fake pay per clicks for your website. There is no benefit to that. If you want to argue this...i am all eyes [:D]

Hope this helps
    If you have any questions let me know
    Thanks!

alexanderberson, Jul 23, 2008 IP
    Binary Ant likes this.
  2. Binary Ant

Binary Ant Peon

Best Answers:
    Interesting reading. I have some questions.

1. If you can't afford for one of the most active or relevant kw (for example "dating" at $5) it doesn't mean that you should give up with this campaign, do it? Simply you should use long tail kw derived from that active kw for a cheaper price.

2. When you talk about different ads that look quite similar, what are you meaning? The same words on the ad, or every ad with the same dimensions (i mean 25 of 25 chars, and 35 of 35 char in the lines)? What kind of change do you refer? Change the words?, Leaving a line in blank? Write a too short second line to make the ad more noticeable?

BTW, I like the mispell tactic, I'm going to try this evening or so.

Thanks in advance :)

Binary Ant, Jul 23, 2008 IP
  3. alexanderberson

alexanderberson Peon

Best Answers:

I am going to answer your questions now:

QUESTION:If you can't afford for one of the most active or relevant kw (for example "dating" at $5) it doesn't mean that you should give up with this campaign, do it? Simply you should use long tail kw derived from that active kw for a cheaper price.

ANSWER: Sure. You don't have to give up on relative, competative keyword. Just ad extra words, ex instead of :dating: use :dating in new york: that should be more affortable to buy. You got it right.

QUESTION: When you talk about different ads that look quite similar, what are you meaning? The same words on the ad, or every ad with the same dimensions (i mean 25 of 25 chars, and 35 of 35 char in the lines)? What kind of change do you refer? Change the words?, Leaving a line in blank? Write a too short second line to make the ad more noticeable?

ANSWER: Here is what i am talking about. Ex lets say you have a dating website. The most common ad you see is: :Free dating website. Thousands visitors join each month. Join today!: .........sounds very typical, right? 95% of people use just that. Now how about this ad: :You are single loser, don't come to this website if you want to be that loser forever.: ......better....when people see the same ads..it all blends in...and looks the same...Make people want to click the ad...even if it sounds offensive......................they are currious now, they want to click it..and that is your goal....

alexanderberson, Jul 24, 2008 IP
  4. Binary Ant

Binary Ant Peon

Best Answers:
    Ok, thanks for the answers, I'll take your advice in count in my new mods :)

Do you think that visual differences (like blank lines) could have any effect?

Binary Ant, Jul 24, 2008 IP
  5. info

info Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I think everybody know what to do but with actual implementations make any campaign perfect, but i know including me lots of webmasters are lazy about actual implementation.

info, Jul 24, 2008 IP
  6. pipes

pipes Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Regarding mispelled keywords in your ad, wont you need to then mispell the words on your landing page, for relativity?

And if you do that, might it not put a visitor off if they think the mispelling is amateurish?

pipes, Dec 15, 2008 IP