1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

page one on Google for a 3.5million competing word

Discussion in 'Link Development' started by inet, Jul 22, 2008.

The keyword is 'joomla tutorial' and the site is wowjoomla.com and current at number 8 in google with 3.5 million competition. Yahooooooo or should I say Goooooogglleee.

The reason it is in this section is that just 6/7 weeks ago i started the back link campaign for the domain with this particular keyword.

I used dofollow backlinks only from blogs. Here is some of my findings:

1) It definitely benefits to have the keyword in the domain.
    2) Use the name box as your keyword. Therefore my name was 'joomla tutorial' and the website box converts it to an achor text URL.

3) Highlight previous comments and look in the source code to see if their names and links have a 'nofollow' ruling applied. if you get a dofollow linkback from the name box then just leave a meaningful comment without a linkback in the comment box, this will assure faster or definite approval from moderator

4) Please leave meaningful comments, this will benefit you immensely. But try to use latent semantic in your comments, this means that the spider should be able to determine what your anchor text is about. if the anchor text is 'fork' how does it know whether it is a fork in the road or a fork for a plate ?? So a comment thus:

"Excellent post. However the junction within the M60 forks on the road are split into different directions. Surely signposting should be provided there for cars to know."

As you can see from it that the mention of word 'road' and 'car' are sufficient for the SE to know.

5) Keep a record using excel to monitor approved and moderated comments. if you are targeting a particular niche then there is no harm in going back to these sites later with other posts that you may want to link back to.

6) Do not keep all your eggs in one basket. Unless you are a blog I would not suggest linkbacks just to the homepage. I have experience dropping out of Google for a static site since all the links are directed to the homepage. I did not suffer like this on a blog, I believe the reason is to do with the dynamic and changing nature of a blog. if the homepage is going to host changing or more posts then this is going to work fine. But a static site is a no go. Just direct links to different pages and make sure some of those pages have a link to the homepage with the same anchor text; Usually the footer is sufficient.

7) check out this post here for a way to find blog posts.
    http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?t=691713

When using this method use SEOquake to see the ranking of the post prior to going to it to target high PR blog posts. I do this all the time.

But there is one last thing I have kept out. I have a magic method for finding high PR posts that are GUARANTEED dofollows and GUARANTEED to accept html tagging especially for URLs :) and I can not give it away, sorry guys. But I must stress that high PR did support me in the cause and it only took 27 backlinks for this keyword to get to the first page, so you should be able to do it. Find 30 PR4+ sites and give it your all and then wait a month. Spread you time out to max 3 backlinks a day as a safety though.

The niche I targeted is highly competitive in that they write blog posts all the time, therefore more higher up sites will keep on jumping up with fresh content. The point here is regardless of these challenges I have succeeded, therefore if you are in a static marketplace (i.e. competitors mainly have static pages then you should do well).

However e-commerce is a different area totally and I have reason to believe that sites that use Google checkout either within the service or via Google shopping or other 3rd party solutions are getting preferences in the search engine. But that is a different issue for another time.

good luck

inet, Jul 22, 2008 IP
    abercrombie likes this.
  2. lilrinho

lilrinho Peon

Best Answers:
    what position was it in Google before you started the backlink campaign and was that all you done to get to the first page?

lilrinho, Jul 22, 2008 IP
  3. muncle

muncle Guest

Best Answers:
    Grats dude, keep it up. I know how awesome it feels to see rewards for hard work :)

PS - how's traffic. Did you notice any healthy boost of visitors from google?

muncle, Jul 22, 2008 IP
  4. inet

inet Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    not checked the traffic yet. Prior to the campaign it was not in the SERPs for that keyword since it was a static page and we were hosting a joomla extension there, which was getting a small number of traffic.

The site has been around registered for almost 1 year, live and with content for the past 6 months I would say.

Other backlink work was done but for other keywords which are not even worth ranking for as they do not have any searches done for them, what I mean to say is that it was done just to give people a link from within forums to the site but embedded in the keyword; this was done out of habit i guess. This is the first specific campaign done for this site.

i intend to target 'joomla 1.5 tutorial' next which gets more searches and we rank 0 in google for it, i.e. nowhere to be seen.

The strength of the campaign will be the keyword 'joomla', but this will be an extreme challenge and I think I have the formula but it needs dedicated hours to do which is too much for one person i think

inet, Jul 22, 2008 IP
  5. inet

inet Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I swear that I am not making this up, I was just about to log off and go home and though I would look at the first page of Google just to gloat :) and the keyword has jumped up 2 notches to #6 :).

maybe it was one of those things, but I have already started my 'joomla 1.5 tutorial' campaign about an hour ago and also campaign for 'model view controller'. Both these keywords are going on +4 blog posts and I am wondering if that had an affect or maybe since it is UK time here the GoogleBot just woke up in the US and started working and this was going to happen anyway :p

inet, Jul 22, 2008 IP
  6. Mr.Dee

Mr.Dee Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for sharing your experience, results and most of your process. It's great to hear a success story post rather than another "what's a backlink?" post. You included your keyword, timeline, comment strategy and other useful goodies. Much appreciated! I hope you have continued success.

Mr.Dee, Jul 22, 2008 IP
  7. zingo

zingo Peon

Best Answers:
    Most of your high PR links are NoFollow, you might want to check your tools..

zingo, Jul 22, 2008 IP
  8. inet

inet Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Not sure what you mean here. The method I use is all manual no tools involved ?? I have mentioned on another post that I am starting to believe that actually posting on nofollow blogs does benefit you in the SERPs, seriously! Check to see how many backlinks for this keyword is showing up in Google? However for the sake of this thread I am sticking to the dofollow backlinks and I monitor the results in an excel sheet. My tracking is showing that 10 of the backlinks were the most contributing to the SERP ranking

inet, Jul 22, 2008 IP
  9. sultanofseo

sultanofseo Notable Member

Best Answers:
    great work. yes, dofollow blog commenting does work and it works even better if the links are related. however, i would suggest you to diversify your link building campaign for peace of mind as google udates their algo all the time and who knows when they start discounting links form blog comments. so diversify to be on the safe side and dont put all your eggs in one busket

sultanofseo, Jul 22, 2008 IP
  10. Brandon Sheley

Brandon Sheley Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    congrats on spamming your way to the top :D

Brandon Sheley, Jul 22, 2008 IP
  11. inet

inet Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    :)

I think it is the definition of spamming. I targeted those blogs that were related, left meaningful comments that i considered relevant and accurate to the post; avoided leaving a link in the comment box if I could get a link back from the name text box. I would not consider it spamming unless intent is also now relevant to the definition of it, but I am not an expert on law :p

inet, Jul 23, 2008 IP
  12. inet

inet Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Since my embarking on the promotion of the keyword 'joomla 1.5 tutorial' it entered at Google #29, therefore looking at 3/4 weeks to page one.

inet, Jul 23, 2008 IP
  13. abercrombie

abercrombie Peon

Best Answers:
    thanks for the tips. i've been the web thing since 1995 but just recently got into deeply examining SEO. learned a lot in this thread and just downloaded seoquake.

abercrombie, Jul 23, 2008 IP
  14. jeflin

jeflin Peon

Best Answers:
    I think so long as you make meaningful comments and the moderator or site owner approves it, spam is out of the question.

jeflin, Jul 23, 2008 IP
  15. inet

inet Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Glad to hear it and glad the tips have been of assistance.

What I noticed on my experience over the last 12 months of studying the SERPs over at Google is the instant benefits a well indexed optimised site/blog can receive for a single post.

I saw a post in popsugar about 'dermalogica' a heavy competitive area that is tangible product based and a lot of money is thrown into this product range on and offline. Popsugars post reached page 2 in under an hour (the timestamp was on the blog post), granted it is not there now, but it goes to show that Google favours fresh content bigtime, but in order for it to stick that post needs to gain traction and the proof of that is backlinks.

Incidentally I am #19 now for the keyword 'joomla 1.5 tutorial' , that is in one day from not being in the SERPs at all for the term.

inet, Jul 23, 2008 IP
  16. inet

inet Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I actually got an email from a blog admin who thought I was a spammer although my comment was meaningful. I responded immediately, he was actually shocked at the response; but satisfied after we had a discussion and it finished on the note that I would have a spot for a guest post ?? go figure :p

It shows that spammers just needed to do that little bit extra, what we in English would term as 'work' and 'research' and they could have got solid, legit and viable ranking for keyword terms

inet, Jul 23, 2008 IP
  17. jammy69

jammy69 Peon

Best Answers:
    You are at number #14 for "joomla tutorial" but a very good work
    Keep it up

jammy69, Jul 23, 2008 IP
  18. inet

inet Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    yup, I guess the work never stops. Need to stay on top it. The site has not had any fresh content in about a week, and neither has there been any additional backlinks for that targeted keyword. I think there does not need to be any more targeted 'joomla tutorial' anchor texts, but backlinks to site with fresh posts that have joomla tutorial targeted posts.
    Going away for a week now when I get back will test this theory unless someone can tell us now from experience.

inet, Jul 24, 2008 IP
  19. inet

inet Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Just came back from holiday and the keyword 'joomla 1.5 tutorial' is at #9 and the keyword 'joomla tutorial' #13. Not bad for approx 10/11 days work on the 'joomla 1.5 tutorial'

inet, Aug 3, 2008 IP
  20. yenerich

yenerich Active Member

Best Answers:
    From here you are at position #15 searching for joomla tutorial

yenerich, Aug 3, 2008 IP