1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Directories are Over - Time for the New Age of Promotion

Discussion in 'Directories' started by Event_King, Jul 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. links4rank

links4rank Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Directories are not over. But I think general directory is not as important as before. That is why I define my directories links4rank.com and links4rank.net into home business directory and health directory.

links4rank, Jul 21, 2008 IP
  2. Event_King

Event_King Guest

Best Answers:

Ahhh, let's backtrack a little because it's important. Now you mentioned 'very nice directories' and that may have a slight bearing on what makes one directory stand above another - er niche aside.

So 'very nice' as in quality, and what is quality to so many that they design a site in a minimalistic, perhaps innovative way, thus assuming design alone must attract visitors.... But so much more is involved and you can't just have a pretty looking directory as much more is required for an overall impact.

The impact and pulling power is vital for anything to attract the users, because without them any website is dead. Design is important yes, but the right content is a must, and from what I've seen is the opposite.

So when designing something new, I concentrate on:

Attractive/Fitting design
    Information/content
    User experience
    Extras
    User generated content
    A way to stand out
    Good domain
    Exciting ideas
    A way to attract links, without the effort
    Longevity
    Expansion of main idea
    Steer away from copycats
    Add-on services

Event_King, Jul 21, 2008 IP
  3. wembaster

wembaster Member

Best Answers:
    great list there "king"

wembaster, Jul 22, 2008 IP
  4. mikey1090

mikey1090 Moderator Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    @EK that is again a great string of points. I need to wait a few days before I can leave you any rep tho ;)

mikey1090, Jul 22, 2008 IP
  5. spyrit

spyrit Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    i don't understand why every couple of days someone comes and said directories are dead. Only because you didn't have any luck with them, or you don't know how to take care of one doesn't mean they're dead. They are pretty much alive and kicking .

spyrit, Jul 22, 2008 IP
    deluxdon likes this.
  6. Event_King

Event_King Guest

Best Answers:

General directories might be alive and kicking like a beetle with it's legs in the air, but they'll never make it offline and that's that.

No actually, I was taking £100 a time with my old General directory, just I chose to do something more interesting, so I switched to a very different web based idea, which happen to not be anything to do with directories. I got sick of them to be honest, and once the motivation goes then it's over anyway.

Well keep plugging away Spyrit and I hope it works out for you :)

Event_King, Jul 22, 2008 IP
  7. holidayhoteldirect

holidayhoteldirect Banned

Best Answers:
    still dir. are useful

holidayhoteldirect, Jul 22, 2008 IP
  8. ShamsiOwnz

ShamsiOwnz Peon

Best Answers:
    Directories are fine,why would you want to fix or change something that isn't broken.

ShamsiOwnz, Jul 22, 2008 IP
  9. good4every1

good4every1 Banned

Best Answers:
    Directories are far from dead but they still must evolve along with the rest of the world.

good4every1, Jul 22, 2008 IP
  10. Event_King

Event_King Guest

Best Answers:
    Simple - I got bored. The relief when I stopped was fantastic, I got rid of a lot of stress and crap that's associated with General directories like:

Constant spam
    SEO sales people hassling me
    Crap link swapping
    Affiliate proposals disguised as 'Partnerships'

and the stress of the fact that people will not just find me because I have a website - basically the model doesn't work anymore, and 2 of my sites 'sit' on the web gathering dust, as a reminder to me what a dumb idea copying others was. I'll never, ever do that again.

Yes, I made some cash - about £1000 from it, so put that into a brand new project, which is so much nicer to be involved with. I managed to save one of my databases, so didn't lose all of my initial investment, but I still lost 75% worth, and in financial terms it was a failure.

My 2nd directory was a lot better, but still a failure in profit terms, was a 'nice, attractive site for submitters' - but too much spam. My 3rd effort is nearly perfect, only because I found the secret to make it work, something others don't know about or rejected in the past.

The general directory is very flawed, it's an ancient model of hundreds of years old and the odds of making it work outside the web isn't good. Online is a bit easier, but a massive struggle without deep pockets and constant ideas. The right ideas aren't being used and webmasters don't have £250K to blow on promotion - is that fixable, what I mean is have you, ShamsiOwnz, got 250K to blow on marketing etc?

Event_King, Jul 23, 2008 IP
  11. hvwebseo

hvwebseo Active Member

Best Answers:
    As per my little experience, Niche specific directories are helpful to get good rank even I got good results through only directory submission and article submission...I had one website before 1 month ago...There was ZERO keyword density But I got good rank on competitive key phrase (after 5 month)...I was just testing on it and you don't believe it was really fantastic experienced...Well, I don't know my ans is right OR wrong But I can say as per my experience..

Thanks,

hvwebseo, Jul 23, 2008 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.