1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Do Your Friends and Family Know What You Do For a Living?

Discussion in 'General Business' started by Fabian.JH, Jul 18, 2008.

Have your friends or family ever asked you what you do for a living? And replied 'Internet marketer', and they just gave you a blank face?

Generally, I just say I'm a 'business owner' or 'Internet publisher' and leave it at that. Believe it or not, most people don't really care what you do. It's just a way of making small talk. Unless your profession sounds interesting or relates to them, they are not going to continue that part of the conversation that far.

Most people's idea of an Internet business is selling stuff on Ebay or building a 'traditional' e-commerce store. Most 'normal' people see direct marketing as hard selling marketing that should be condemned. That's why we talk about different marketing approaches when it comes to other niches other than Internet marketing. They require 'softer', less aggressive approaches.

Who's 'fault' is it? Of course, it's the media. Most people get their education outside of school from there. There are few other mediums. But it's good as someone mentioned, as that controls saturation in our little industry.

Fabian.JH, Jul 18, 2008 IP
  2. sally_seo

sally_seo Peon

Best Answers:
    i get this also and it annoys me that they don't really know what i'm talking about

i usually say "web designer", as in building websites (somebody's gotta do that ya know, they don't build themselves :)

as i doubt any of them would know what "doing SEO" is

sally_seo, Jul 19, 2008 IP
  3. kiteguy123

kiteguy123 Guest

Best Answers:
    To be honest, I don't really tell anyone: this is like my little world ;) lol

kiteguy123, Jul 19, 2008 IP
  4. crystak

crystak Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Design websites... and pop ads on them.

crystak, Jul 19, 2008 IP
  5. hecto

hecto Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I think people need to have more knowledge about this whole interent world. Almost 95% of the poeple think that all you need to do is set up a website and you start making money. Because most people I know dont have a clue about the whole internet world apart from ebay as mentioned I have resulted to just not saying anything or keeping away from that topic.

hecto, Jul 19, 2008 IP
  6. mentos

mentos Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I don't tell them that i work as full time forex trader

mentos, Jul 19, 2008 IP
  7. RonSilver

RonSilver Member

Best Answers:
    I used to tell people that I'm internet marketer and they gave me blank stares including my mom too when she first asked me what in the name of God I did sitting infront of PC for 10-12 hours every day. Well that was just two years ago.

Now a days if any one asks me what I do, I simpley tell them that I teach people how to make money and more money in just a month on internet. Now you can imagine how much interest and "clients" I get by this. ;)

And I'm not lying when I say to them that I teach people how to earn some good money online becasue this is what I actually do.

RonSilver, Jul 19, 2008 IP
  8. informationHell

informationHell Peon

Best Answers:
    i also say this.. :)

informationHell, Jul 19, 2008 IP
  9. Logic

Logic Peon

Best Answers:
    Hello Fabian.JH.
    It has been over 15 years of doing the exact same work, it took me at least the first five years to explain to them and our clients helped us learn how to share what we do to our friends and family.
    I am and we are a Software Engineering and Development company.

Logic

Logic, Jul 19, 2008 IP