1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

connot understand what page rank is

Discussion in 'Google' started by jonhy.pear, Apr 20, 2006.

1. ahearn

ahearn Peon

Best Answers:
    Correct.

Page Rank is a kind of popularity contest that has gone bad. Google's original concept was that any site that attracted many links from other sites was "popular", meaning that visitors from the linking sites would be more likely to visit the second (linked to) sites.

However, we, as site owners, have screwed up the concept by creating link pages and link farms with reciprocal links that have nothing to do with popularity. Therefore, PR is more a measure of the amount of work to get reciprocal links than popularily, traffic, SERP, or any other measure. In other words, it's pretty meaningless.

ahearn, Apr 30, 2006 IP
    maldives likes this.
  2. ontheweb

ontheweb Peon

Best Answers:
    What a great quote :) The example you gave of your new site is very interesting.. What was the topic of the site? I have found there seems to be an 'average PR' for particular topics that you can achieve without much effort. On some topics this is PR4. On others it's PR1/2 :)

ontheweb, Apr 30, 2006 IP
  3. ambergambler

ambergambler Peon

Best Answers:
    Maybe I'm the only one, but my SERPS have always changed quite drastically around the time of any visible PR update (when PR actually went up). So to me, it's more than a "webmaster contest". Just my two cents worth :)

ambergambler, May 1, 2006 IP
  4. Web Gazelle

Web Gazelle Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    That is the correct answer for what Page Rank is. It is basically a measure of the importance of a page in the eyes of Google. Like maldives said, it determines how frequently a page is going to be crawled by the googlebot.

Web Gazelle, May 1, 2006 IP