1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

The real secrets to do well with Adsense and rank good in the search engines

Discussion in 'AdSense' started by falco85, Apr 25, 2006.

1. articlebazar

articlebazar Peon

Best Answers:
    Very nice post, thank you a lot: falco85.

articlebazar, Apr 28, 2006 IP
  2. azazel_

azazel_ Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree with adding value to the webpages. I am having the same situation.

azazel_, Apr 30, 2006 IP
  3. factchecker

factchecker Peon

Best Answers:
    This is such a great post. Any post which could generate so much diaolog. I definitely gave a rating to this author... Anyway, I think you have to figure out which ads are going to pay the highest.... I recently just got very many visitors to an article and recieved 15 click-throughs..... The sad part is those 15 click-throughs combined earned me less than my one click through on one of my other pages. If you have a page where the ads are going to earn you a-lot per click, I would make that my niche.

factchecker, Apr 30, 2006 IP
    DomainMagnate likes this.
  4. DBomb26

DBomb26 Banned

Best Answers:
    If anyone is willing to help me learn how to use Adsense and provide one on one help to me I am willing to pay some money upfront as well as a percentage of what I make. Also, how much of a payoff will this give me for how much of my time?

DBomb26, Apr 30, 2006 IP
  5. danimal

danimal Active Member

Best Answers:
    that is exactly right... you should build your site with the search engines in mind, from the very beginning.

for example, i can't believe how many websites there are out there with the same title bar text on every page... probably the single most important thing you can do, and people don't know about it.

earlier someone made the point about diversification... taking it a step further, that means signing up with programs like ypn also, and even serving all of your ads up thru an adserver... that way, if the epc for one ad program goes down, a simple switch at the ad server level will put the other ad program online instead.

that also works for mixing both adsense and ypn ads on the same site at the same time, but never on the same page of course... so you can evaluate which ad program is the most targeted, or which program makes the most money on that particular page.

i ended up giving the lowest adsense ctr pages over to ypn, where they made more money... and it also increased the overall adsense ctr, which may or may not have increased the epc.

i guess that most of the above would come after figuring out the most optimal ad locations and such for your pages, typically using channels to differentiate one ad block from another on each page.

so a website is never finished, it's always a work in progress... you continually have to add fresh content on a regular basis, in order to optimize your standings in the search engines... i have created hundreds of pages with notepad, it works for me :)

danimal, Apr 30, 2006 IP
  6. rewlie

rewlie Active Member

Best Answers:
    100++ great motivation for everyone !

rewlie, Apr 30, 2006 IP
  7. TestedAdSenseNiches

TestedAdSenseNiches Guest

Best Answers:
    I was just poking fun a bit at "follow your passion psychology. The reason why is - AdSense is a BUSINESS. If you treat it this way.

Forget AdSense for a while. Are cosmetic dentist "passionate" about their job? Are plastic surgeons passionate about inserting fake silicon boobies in women's breasts? Is a guy who owns five McDonalds in a twenty mile radius all that passionate about french fries and burgers?

Nothing wrong about being passionate. It's wrong to assume that being passionate is ENOUGH to make it with AdSense or any other business, for that matter. It's not.

TestedAdSenseNiches, Apr 30, 2006 IP
  8. Voasi

Voasi Active Member

Best Answers:
    [QUOTE="TestedAdsenseNiches]Nothing wrong about being passionate. It's wrong to assume that being passionate is ENOUGH to make it with AdSense or any other business, for that matter. It's not.[/QUOTE]
    Exactly. I hear too much about noobs needing to start with what their passionate about. It can be a great start, but then what? You can only really be passionate about a few different things at most...seriously.

One of the best advices I've ever received was "work on outsourcing". As Entreprueners, we have a tough time letting go of work. We think what we do is "the best" and no one can put in the time and effort to make it as good as we can.

But you gotta let go and outsource projects. Outsource the tedious stuff at first, then move into larger areas. If you don't, your BUSINESS will only go as for as the 24 hours in YOUR day, rather then the other person's 24 hours to work on your project.

Voasi, May 1, 2006 IP
  9. TestedAdSenseNiches

Best Answers:
    There is a thing called "First dollar phenomenon". It's when you set up a web business and you get your first sale or first AdSense check - that's when you start realizing - wow, you actually CAN make money online. And wheels get spinning. Most folks who talk about passion never made a dime online.

TestedAdSenseNiches, May 1, 2006 IP
  10. jackburton2006

jackburton2006 Peon

Best Answers:
    There you go again. :rolleyes: What are you trying to do, turn everyone into money-hungry soulless robots? If that kind of "life" works for you, by all means continue with it. The rest of us are doing just fine having fun and making a ton of money on the net, and there's nothing wrong with telling noobs that how they should start. Your kind of "business model" will only help them lose a ton of time and money, and then they'll be right back here asking "what went wrong???" Bah. The more I read from you, the more I don't think you know what you're talking about.

jackburton2006, May 1, 2006 IP
  11. TestedAdSenseNiches

Best Answers:
    I'm sorry, but noobs are doomed, with good advice or bad advice, with mentoring or without mentoring. Just imagine - you are a pro race driver. A 15 year old kid with no driving experience comes to you and asks you to teach him or her how to become a race driver. I'm sorry, I don't care how good you are, there is nothing you can do, except for telling that kid - get a drivers license, and after you practise of 3 years, I might be able to help you out.
    This is why (as far as AdSense is concerned) I refuse to work with noobs.
    Professionals are better. They already know what they know and they know what they need and what they don't need.
    "Follow your passion" may be a sound LIFE advice, but it's a bad BUSINESS advice. If you run a grocery store and you sell carrots and nothing but carrots, because you have "passion" for it, you'll go belly up.
    My best advice to noobs is - make your decision about AdSense in the beginning - is it a business for you or just a game? Nothing wrong with AdSense being a game. It just means that you might be able to make a small side income, writing about stuff you love. But probably not.
    Now, if it's a business for you, it doesn't mean things will be easy. It means that you'll have to go through the school of hard knocks, but in the end, you'll have a business that feeds you and your family. You may have to create sites about topics you don't love, but you'll be forced to learn about them or you won't make any money.

TestedAdSenseNiches, May 1, 2006 IP
  12. exam

exam Peon

Best Answers:
    I totally disagree. I have been in the position where I needed to get myself up to speed with certain skills in a short amount of time. Since I'm motivated, skilled and intelligent :))), I'm able to do it. Let me just say that age or how long you've been doing something has very little to do with ablility. I know horrible drivers who have been driving for 20 years and I think yes, a 15 year old who's never driven could learn to be a great race car driver in a matter of months. It all depends on motivation, ability and having a teacher/source of information.

exam, May 1, 2006 IP
  13. blueoceanwave

blueoceanwave Peon

Best Answers:
    The only problem that comes to mind, at least in my case (and i'm sure for others as well), is how do you manage long delay in any monetary rewards when you take your approach of developing everything from scratch, versus slapping some automated websites that'll be bringing in money by dinner?

What I think is that it's a cycle, and the beginnig of the cycle is going through and trying out things like automated sites with thousands of pages, then buying up all of the software/ebooks that the "gurus" are selling, and then trying out other kind of strategies/techniques.

After going through this cycle, which you can call online biz 101, people can figure out what they really want to do and how they really want to do it. What feels "natural" and makes me feel successful. I'm sure that there are people, even in this audience, that probably would never feel natural writing content but feel comfortable running sites with tens of thousands of articles, optimizing for search placement, autoblogging etc.

In conclusion: I think people that are starting out, should try out different methods of doing online biz and then see what works for them and what feels "natural".

blueoceanwave, May 1, 2006 IP
  14. bhopkins

bhopkins Banned

Best Answers:
    This is a great post. Hopefully it will spread around the web and start trend of people creating sites for content and not just for posting adsense on. I know I'm about to go blog about this post on a couple of different blogs.

Bruce

bhopkins, May 1, 2006 IP
  15. ~Julia~

~Julia~ Peon

Best Answers:
    I haven't read all the replies, but to the original poster, very nice.

This is actually what Google tells you to do, write the site for your visitors, not for Adsense or the search engines. I guess because I only put Adsense on my site 4 months ago I've always targed my audience anyway, and having Adsense hasn't changed this.

My goal is to write good quality content which is of use to the visitors. If I get clicks on those pages then that's great, but the site is first & foremost about my visitors. I ask myself "what would I want out of this article". I presume the audience knows nothing about the topic, so start it from scratch. I want them to leave feeling they really have learned something. I did try hiring freelance writers but lucked out & found they just didn't write as much as I wanted.

I also subscribe to your philisophy on having a site in which you have an interest in the topic. I'd NEVER create a site about cars because they don't interest me. What's the saying 'if you do a job you like you'll never work a day of your life' or something like that.

I know many people are amused at the fact that my computing skills aren't particularly great. But as you said, we can't be everything. Having two children, a "paid" job & a website means time is limited. I concentrate on writing content & keeping my visitors happy & pay people to upgrade my forums (I know the basics & can solve minor problems, skin etc), but for anything else more complex I pay a guy to do it for me. I just don't have that much interest or time to learn it in depth.

I do see people around who start Adsense with the aim to become rich, but don't put in the hard graft. I'm being presumptuous here, but I don't believe many people who haven't put a great deal of effort into building a quality site would be retiring on their Adsense revenue. I've worked my tail off on my site, way before Adsense & will continue to do so. I think money comes to people who work hard. Adsense & Google are NOT my target audience, people interested in the topic of my site are my target audience. If I fare well with Google & Adsense then that's a bonus, but it's not the be all & end all.

ETA: I probably worded the last paragraph wrongly. Yes, I do put energy into faring well with the search engines, but my articles aren't written for them, they're written for visitors. I optimise as much as I can with the use of carefully worded titles & description tags, but the pages are written for humans. As a result, 95% of my articles rank extremely well with Google naturally.

~Julia~, May 1, 2006 IP
  16. hasan

hasan Active Member

Best Answers:
    Excellent Post. Thanks falco85.

hasan, May 1, 2006 IP
  17. medusa

medusa Peon

Best Answers:
    I am with AdSense for less than a year and feel am doing well in terms of experimenting and getting results, though there is a long way to go... 3 years is too long a period to be on the loose with AdSense. If you are not informed and passionate, you may not have your account anymore by the end of 3 years!

If you want to guide and 'mentor' professionals, why do they need it? They are already 'professionals'.

My 2 cents

medusa, May 2, 2006 IP
  18. TestedAdSenseNiches

Best Answers:
    I don't want to mentor anyone. You know, there is a thing called "100 flight hours rule". You can't get a pilots license, until you fly at least 100 hours in a plane (with instructor). In the US, at least. Why is this important? You may have a greate instructor. Your daddy may be the greatest pilot in the world. You may be a brainiac. YOU STILL HAVE TO GET 100 FLIGHT HOURS. Or no license.
    Same with AdSense. You have to put in some time to get good. After that, you are qualified to make some decisions. It's professionals who buy expensive tools and tracking software. Why? It makes them MORE MONEY. Sure a noob may purchase any tool or software or service or even bribe a Google employee. So what? Noob does not know how to make money with adsense and this is something that can't be taught. They have to get the first check in their hands and after that you can teach them something. Not before.

TestedAdSenseNiches, May 2, 2006 IP
  19. carl_galloway

carl_galloway Guest

Best Answers:
    Fair call about the 100 hours, and in the case of adsense you might be right, however it also brings to mind the complaint that a lot of school leavers have, no company will employ them because they have no experience, and they can't get the experience until someone employs them. Its a catch 22, and in your case I guess you have your reasons, I'm just grateful (being a newbie) that other people don't share your views. You see the thing you need to understand, one of those newbies might end up creating an authority site that might drive traffic to you...

If I sound harsh, I make no apologies.

carl_galloway, May 2, 2006 IP
    jackburton2006 likes this.
  20. TestedAdSenseNiches

Best Answers:
    Carl, what I am saying is that if you are a noob, no advice will save you. Noobs stand no chance. However, we all started out as noobs. Some noobs start making money with AdSense. Others don't. That's the breaking point. I can tell you everything about what I know about making money with AdSense, but it wouldn't help a bit. Because it's common sense. Get people to your site. Make sure ads get clicked. If they don't - play around with ad placement. And finally, experiment with content, because certain niches pay more (a lot more) than others. I can tell you what keyword makes me $1.05 per click on average. But is it of any value to you, if you are totally clueless how to get traffic to your site or if you ad placement is so lame that you could get 3 times as many clicks as you can now (not talking about you personally)? That' what I am referring to. If a person makes money with AdSense, he or she has a totally different mindset. Noobs wonder around in total darkness.

TestedAdSenseNiches, May 2, 2006 IP