1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Joomla - should I love it or hate it?

Discussion in 'Joomla' started by hypguy, Jun 21, 2008.

1. healthdirectorymoz

healthdirectorymoz Peon

Best Answers:
    yeppers ! Joomla rocks :)

healthdirectorymoz, Jul 4, 2008 IP
  2. trustfm

trustfm Peon

Best Answers:
    You may consider using drupal intead of Joomla but anyway you have to spend sometime over it and learn it. Wordpress is way too easy . The common mistake is that everyone uses joomla and personally i can see if a site uses joomla or not so consider to loose some time wih the interface so you will not obtain a "Joomla like" website...

trustfm, Jul 5, 2008 IP
  3. skypeace

skypeace Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    In my opinion, WordPress is far superior......

skypeace, Jul 5, 2008 IP
    qprojects likes this.
  4. freecodes

freecodes Peon

Best Answers:
    I love joomla. There are alot of extensions that can solve your problem and enhance your website.

freecodes, Jul 5, 2008 IP
  5. uzair21

uzair21 Peon

Best Answers:
    It works like a charm once you get used to it.

uzair21, Jul 11, 2008 IP
    qprojects likes this.
  6. Blue Star Ent.

Blue Star Ent. Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Blue Star Ent., Jul 11, 2008 IP
    qprojects and uzair21 like this.
  7. ubamba

ubamba Member

Best Answers:
    I use Joomla 1.5 with sh404SEF plugin for SEO. It was kinda a bitch to set up because I had no prior experience with website development and CMS. However, now that I am somewhat familiar with it I like it because it is easy to find cool and useful extensions. Adding Google Analytics to the site was a complete non-event and only took about two mintues to install and configure because someone had made a nice plugin for it. Haven't tried Wordpress though, maybe it's better.

ubamba, Jul 11, 2008 IP
    uzair21 and qprojects like this.
  8. Bratzilla

Bratzilla Peon

Best Answers:
    Hey, I feel your pain. I love Joomla... but feel your pain. :)

Remember, anything beyond banging out simple HTML files does have a learning curve. When it comes to what CMS is "best", I always ask, "best for what?". There is no one magic CMS for every situation. For some things, WordPress is probably better (as in easier to set up, learn, etc.). On the other hand, if your site will be member based with a lot of social networking and other related activities, that's Joomla or Drupal's core functionality, and IMHO either one is better suited to that kind of site than WordPress.

Again, no value judgment here, just saying that there is no such thing as "one-size-fits-all" and that every CMS or blog software does indeed have a learning curve.

Bratzilla, Jul 12, 2008 IP
    qprojects and uzair21 like this.
  9. BDazzler

BDazzler Peon

Best Answers:

I've been using it long enough that it is "intutive for me" ... I had forgotten that I had a learning curve. Let's just say, IMO, it's been worth it. I love it.

BDazzler, Jul 14, 2008 IP
  10. bspisak

bspisak Peon

Best Answers:
    One great thing about Joomla is the number of extensions that are available. Since I haven't used any other CMS, is there anything out there that even comes close?

bspisak, Jul 14, 2008 IP
  11. Red_Ace

Red_Ace Peon

Best Answers:
    It is said that Joomla is user friendly and easy to use...and I do agree. But not if you are a beginner, it took me a whole week to get the hang of it and successfully set a site up looking the way I like. What you need to do is read up on a few tutorials. After you know the ins and out of it, you will realize that it has a lot of potential over wordpress and static websites.

It took a lot out of me to learn Joomla since I'm so used to coding everything manually, but overall, I'm quite impress with the turnout.

Red_Ace, Jul 14, 2008 IP
  12. docelder

docelder Peon

Best Answers:
    I was an old hand code web guy. I always used a text editor. Well, I needed to build a site for my wife, one that she could update and add to. But she has no html experience at all. So, I installed Joomla. Trying to build a site with it at first was really frustrating to me, because it seemed learning and using the cms was harder than hand coding for certain things. But, I got the hang of it and I must say, I have thought to do things with it... and because of using it that I had not though to do before. Plus my wife can update her site with the built in editor, no problems. Now I need to dissect the sef addons to make it work with virtuemart, and to take care of duplicate url's. I think, I could better set categories and sections up now, seeing how this works in practice and what can be done with it. I think it's worthwhile. I would build a test site first, and make your mistakes there, only building your real site after you really understand the cms.

docelder, Jul 15, 2008 IP
  13. mekerica

mekerica Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't love Joomla... :(

I try it once, but I think it needs a little bit knowing PHP and SQL if you want edit design and other, but if I went to learn PHP and SQL, I will create my own CMS sistem...

and a CMS on Joomla... it's a little bit confused... i create a new page and insert link to it in navigation bar, but i don't know how to edit this new page ( add pictures, links, google adsense etc. ), so it requires PHP and SQL knowledge...

so, i started to learn PHP and SQL and i started creating my own CMS... :cool:

mekerica, Jul 15, 2008 IP
  14. suspicion

suspicion Peon

Best Answers:
    Wordpress is good for some, joomla for others and drupal for others. It all depends on what kind of site you want to have. Joomla does have a bit of a steep learning curve but it is very very powerful tool and can be overkill. I have several sites that use joomla and sef urls are not a problem. Many nice plugins. I use Drupal for a couple sites which I feel is better suited for community based sites.

suspicion, Jul 15, 2008 IP
  15. avi2l

avi2l Active Member

Best Answers:
    I love the abilities of joomla, yet I find myself struggling with optimizing the load times. In 1.0, the load times aren't as bad as 1.5. But it seems that for joomla it is a lot more work setting up than wordpress. I'm now playing with wordpress as a substitute for smaller sites. If wordpress had options for more menus and page organization, then we'd be set.

avi2l, Jul 16, 2008 IP
  16. fap

fap Peon

Best Answers:
    I find it very easy to use once you get used to it. Especially for dynamic content and changing layouts in seconds. As far as SEO is concerned, fill in the metadata blocks on each of your articles and they should be by the search engines.

Yes it's frustrating to learn but once you get the hang of it, I really like it!

fap, Jul 16, 2008 IP
  17. mekerica

mekerica Peon

Best Answers:
    I believe that Joomla is good when you get the hang of it, but now i started to creating my own CMS sistems for my sites...

mekerica, Jul 17, 2008 IP