1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

A blogging niche?

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by m4x, Jul 10, 2008.

Hi,

I am looking to start a blog. However, I am having trouble finding a good niche. What I would really like to blog about is a site called neopets.com. It seems like something easy to blog about since I have been playing it for so long xD. However, it doesnt seem to me that this would be the best niche in terms of earing money from my blog. What do you guys think? :confused: As much as i would love to blog about this, im concerned that I will not make as much $$ as I woud like. As far as I know, there are any other neopets blogs out there, so maybe this would be a good opportunity? Discuss and help me :p.

m4x, Jul 10, 2008 IP
  2. priyakochin

priyakochin Banned

Best Answers:
    If ur targeting to earn from adsense then try to build high payment keyword niche.

priyakochin, Jul 10, 2008 IP
    mentos likes this.
  3. m4x

m4x Guest

Best Answers:
    yeah i know, but if im going to be the only neopets blog, do you think that it will then be a good keyword niche?

m4x, Jul 10, 2008 IP
  4. ajhp99

ajhp99 Peon

Best Answers:
    A search of neopets in google returned 7,300,000 results. Visit the top ranking sites and find out how they are monetizing their site. If there is a common theme, do the same thing.

A search of Google blogs returned over 900,000 results. Visit the tops sites and see what they are doing.

ajhp99, Jul 10, 2008 IP
  5. m4x

m4x Guest

Best Answers:
    Alright thanks ajhp99 :).

m4x, Jul 10, 2008 IP
  6. eruct

eruct Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If you really have a passion for neopets then go with that. This will make it easier to write better posts, or at least posts that other fans would be looking for and it won't really seem like work but more of a hobby that pays:)

eruct, Jul 10, 2008 IP
    mentos and kentuckyslone like this.
  7. kentuckyslone

kentuckyslone Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I agree with eruct - Good advice - in the long run you will be better off blogging about something you are truly interested in. Most people who start blogs or sites with only "what will make money" in mind wind up making no money and having a very difficult time coming up with good content.

Naturally, you want to make money with your site but you want it to be enjoyable as well. Blogging about topics you are both passionate and knowledgeable about will give you a better experience.

kentuckyslone, Jul 10, 2008 IP
    jhmattern and mentos like this.
  8. m4x

m4x Guest

Best Answers:
    Thanks eruct and kentucky. :). Do you guys think I will make a decent amount of money at the same time?

m4x, Jul 10, 2008 IP
  9. George Pierce

George Pierce Guest

Best Answers:
    I disagree. If you have a passion, you are welcome to go for it, but that is NOT Niche Marketing. (Mr. Grinch here-grin)

Niche marketing is using the oldest principle of marketing...supply and demand, in reverse. Find a need with little or no competition and fill the need.

A suggestion is to try www.nichebotclassic.com which is a free search tool that will provide you with search results and also the number of competing sites.

Also, Travis Sago (Bum Marketing), emailed me a list of searches about cheating spouses and relative keyword searches...I have not personally researched, yet, but Travis is tops, and results were interesting, i.e an area you might want to consider...just another suggestion. Good Luck on your Internet Adventure.

Much Success,
    George Pierce

George Pierce, Jul 10, 2008 IP
  10. m4x

m4x Guest

Best Answers:
    Thank you george. will definately research and look there

m4x, Jul 10, 2008 IP
  11. jhmattern

jhmattern Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    The biggest problem with only looking for something that makes money is that niches can go cold at any time. If you have the passion, you'll be able to weather the roller coaster ride it can become. If you're knowledgeable enough to give your site / blog any authority status, you can make it profitable even if an average Joe can't. So think about what you want to do in the long-term. If you want to earn money quickly, focus on the short-term, but don't expect that niche to earn well for you forever - most won't. Only go that route if you're either willing to hire others to write your content (what a lot of folks going this route do b/c they don't know anything about the topic) or if you're willing to change niches with new blogs to go wherever the money happens to be at the time. It sounds like you want to make money, but it also sounds like you want to do your own blogging about something that interests you. Prioritize.

You can make money either way. Personally, I don't mind waiting 3-6 months for my blogs to earn decent money if they are things I love working on (it makes the time fly by). You may make money more quickly focusing on a money-making niche, but that success also runs the risk of being fleeting, which is much less likely on an authority blog.

jhmattern, Jul 10, 2008 IP
    mentos likes this.
  12. m4x

m4x Guest

Best Answers:
    thank you very much jhmattern. :). i think i may wait the months.

m4x, Jul 11, 2008 IP
  13. TheNetCode

TheNetCode Peon

Best Answers:
    I have to agree with JHMattern on this. You really should only write about something you believe in. Niches are great if you are passionate about them, but they do sometimes fade out. Some niches do persist and are a good way to earn money, but in the end any topic you choose can make money. It comes down to a numbers game in essence. The more people you bring in the more opportunity you have to make money. It may not be from contextual ads such as Google, but maybe from product ads from affiliate programs such as Amazon, Adbrite and others.

The key is to write about something you understand and know. People will recognize this and tell others. Your goal should be long term growth not just spur of the moment traffic. If you love the neopet market then you should go with that. I know it has been popular for a while and if you do it right it could be quite successful for you.

TheNetCode, Jul 11, 2008 IP
    mentos likes this.
  14. PHPGator

PHPGator Banned

Best Answers:
    Dude, don't make the critical mistake of trying to blog on topics you either A) know very little about or B) have no passion for. If you put up a good website with useful content then people will come. And if you have traffic, you can always make money through various methods.

PHPGator, Jul 11, 2008 IP
    mentos likes this.
  15. mentos

mentos Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I'm sure your hard work will pay off

mentos, Jul 11, 2008 IP
  16. godsofchaos

godsofchaos Peon

Best Answers:
    Blog about woot you are honestly interested about, forget the high paying keywords and everything else. If you are good about something, I mean really good then people will be compelled to visit your site and even if your keywords pay you less... the traffic will make the overall return much more than compared to a site with high paying keywords and little traffic. With a blog you have to interact with bloggers and commentators so if you must be ready to answer and rectify issues that ya will commonly face. If you dont know about issues and cant get at least 50% resolved, your traffic will go down overtime. So blog with your heart and not with what you hear from the ears.

godsofchaos, Jul 11, 2008 IP
  17. m4x

m4x Guest

Best Answers:
    yeah im definately gonna blog about this now thanks guys..really appreciate all your posts :)

m4x, Jul 11, 2008 IP
  18. azrail

azrail Active Member

Best Answers:
    I currently have a site and blog that caters to the virtaul pet community but not neopets and it does well. I make decent cash of it. I suggest playing the game for a few days... always check out what's hot in the chat sections and write about it. Just remember that different is good. If there is something controversial going on the the neopets world blog about. Controversy gains allot of traffic in the blog world. Offer your own opinion. Start your site out with minimal ads so that your site doesn't look as ad filled as your competitors. It worked for me to get more traffic to my blog.

Hope that helps a bit. I would suggest finding neverblue ads offers (CPA) that offer free online mmorpgs (the anime style ones) and put a few of those banners up. Your traffic already plays a type of mmorg and obviousley they love stuff with big eyes so getting some neverblue ads up that relate to the mmorpg niche are going to convert well on this type of blog. Find offers you would sign up for if you didn't know better. You should start earning in no time. Just try to find a niche type way to separate your neopets site from your competitors.

-Az

azrail, Jul 11, 2008 IP
  19. m4x

m4x Guest

Best Answers:
    ahh awesome thanks azrail. im gonna pm you :p

m4x, Jul 11, 2008 IP
  20. Business Attorney

Business Attorney Active Member

Best Answers:
    If you write really good content and pay attention to keywords and SEO, you can eventually get traffic. I have done it with some fairly common and competitive words.

Then it is up to you to figure out how to monetize that traffic. If your blog attracts a bunch of young kids with no credit cards and no paypal account, you may have a tougher time figuring out how to monetize your website or blog.

Business Attorney, Jul 11, 2008 IP