1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

phpLD -V- phplynx

Discussion in 'Directories' started by vicdigi, Jul 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YMC

YMC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    This tired argument is like asking which truck is better, Ford or Chevy. There is no single right answer and the debate could go on forever.

I agree that there are a number of important things missing from that chart.

YMC, Jul 9, 2008 IP
  2. JamieG

JamieG Banned

Best Answers:
    Not really Jude, the other script-owners simply send people to do their dirty work, whereas when I inherited the running of phpLynx I decided to do it myself as I don't see myself above the people who purchase it.

The ones that are desperate are the ones that feel the need to constantly come onto threads with a view to trying to flame and disrupt.

Now if you, an0n and any others don't have anything other than constructive comments to make then simply shut up and stay off the threads, if you do I would be more than grateful to take on board the advice which I did with an observation made by an0n.

@YMC; Being told that you don't have an ego, would you be kind enough to mention what is missing on either side as these features were taken directly from both the phpld website and the phpLynx website and if there are any features missing it would be the result of the ineptitude of both scripts.

I do intend to go through an install of the phpld full version with an existing owner so that I can put my my mind to rest, the same will be done with the phpLynx script so I can better gain a grasp of what is there and what is needed.

If no-one can actually point out what is missing then this list until then must be taken as absolutely accurate, this can be supported by visiting the phpLynx demo, we could not find a demo of the phpld admin but will go through it to check.

Hope that clears that little attack up. :rolleyes:

JamieG, Jul 9, 2008 IP
  3. smub

smub Notable Member

Best Answers:
    What I don't understand is that why does phpLynx consistently have to downgrade phpLD to get their promotion? I mean if you want advertisement then do PPC. I am sure google will not stop you from putting a high bid for phpLD keywords and showing phplynx.

Now by just keep saying and downgrading other scripts in forums, neither you nor will the script gain anything but I only see negative for both sides.

While I have nothing personal against anyone in the thread, but I was reading and will try one more time to have this stupid battle come to an end.

smub, Jul 9, 2008 IP
  4. JamieG

JamieG Banned

Best Answers:
    We don't smub, each script has its own place. The one's who are downgrading are the supporters of phpld who have since the beginning attacked phpLynx. You only have to check the forums history for that. I decided to show the features 'toe to toe' if you like to shut people up who constantly put phpLynx down and over praise phpld. The features speak for themselves I don't need to say anything more on the matter.

Hope that answers your question. :)

JamieG, Jul 9, 2008 IP
  5. an0n

an0n Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    What I think needs to be done is YOU need to shut up, especially since (in your own post/words)
    haven't even gone through an install and failed to read what is offered in LD

I hope this clears up YOUR little attack and comparison with phpStynx to others.

an0n, Jul 9, 2008 IP
  6. YMC

YMC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Not sure why ego has anything to do with it but in my case, the bolded part of your statement might be the correct answer. I will however, give you the example nearest and dearest to my heart.

Crafty Tips is built entirely around a custom field. I've noticed when those feature comparison charts are posted that this feature is usually missing. I was told it was available with your script and then told it could be achieved by re-purposing an existing field and not by actually creating a new one or having the programming team add it for me. Granted the offer for a hand edit was nice, but I'd rather have more control than having to put in a special request for something like that. That may have changed but since it is not part of your current features list, I suspect it is still not an option.

eSyndicat and perhaps others do offer the ability to create categories on the fly, make them optional or mandatory, hidden, displayable or for administrative use only.

IMHO, adding fields that no one else has is one of the fastest ways to build a unique directory as well as provide non-submitting visitors with some more information about a site. As an added benefit, it has also made screening sites fairly easy - no tip, submission deleted 98% of the time.

If one looks hard enough, all of the scripts, even the 2nd and 3rd tier ones, probably have some feature or function none of the others do. In the long run, the choice of script should be dependent upon the site plan and which script offers the most functionality that fits that plan; not who has the most or loudest cheerleaders.

YMC, Jul 9, 2008 IP
    Nonny and hyper like this.
  7. Brandon Sheley

Brandon Sheley Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    uh, ya okay :D :rolleyes:

Brandon Sheley, Jul 9, 2008 IP
    pipes likes this.
  8. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    How'd you know that ? What dirty work ? People have been using PHPLD, Esyndicat or Site Sift even before you came and shoving your script around peoples throat. Have you shifted your career from being a lawyer to an X File investigator ?
    Again people in this forum have been using the "other scripts" and the desperate one that have been shoving a new script is you.
    Well should I think that minstrel, spider-man and aubenrey are being sent also to make a propaganda out of stynx. :rolleyes:
    After you. :D

popotalk, Jul 9, 2008 IP
    snowbird and pipes like this.
  9. JamieG

JamieG Banned

Best Answers:
    Just to keep you updated an0n, I've gone through the install of the phpld script and did compare this against the features you suggest were missed? I can see there are choice of 7 languages to install not 12 but not sure of whether that was what you were referring to?

I can see one good feature I did like that should definitely be added to their feature list but that's not my job. Not sure anything else was missed though? All in all my assessment of the latest phpld version is that although it does lack quite a lot of features that phpLynx has its still not a bad script although I had some concerns with certain things which I'm not going to comment on here as the thread is not a slanging match but a fact finder.

From one day on looking at the various versions it has evolved even if it is slowly, that's better than not evolving at all. I'm not going to comment on the the free version which I tested at the same time that would spoil the purpose of the thread.

Now I've got the full version to check out perhaps someone could point me to the features that the author left out, I'll address them as I want people to see the facts not fiction after all. Until then the comparison chart is pretty much an accurate guide.

:)

JamieG, Jul 9, 2008 IP
  10. an0n

an0n Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Why don't you send a a private message to Duval, letting him know you are writing up a comparison chart, and for him to provide you with a list of features.

an0n, Jul 9, 2008 IP
  11. JamieG

JamieG Banned

Best Answers:
    I saw him on this thread a while back, if he was interested in comparing he could have written to me regarding anything that was incorrect, it appears he's content with what he's listed as features which is fine by me.

Being frank an0n, I'm done with all this crap, as I told you, I don't need the money, and I certainly don't need the hassle of the crap here, perhaps I'll just get the script sold to someone who has more time than me. Who knows, I might even take the advice of one of the members here who said to step it up a notch and put it on par with eDirectory by adding the few features we're missing that it has and retail it at a lower cost than they do.

I've never been a quitter in my life but there's only so many times you can try and educate people that the most popular isn't always the best. phpLynx won't go away that's for certain and will definitely move on, perhaps with new owners but it will definitely not go away and I see it eventually being a market leader but perhaps without me in tow.

We'll see.

JamieG, Jul 9, 2008 IP
  12. an0n

an0n Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    You are the one making the comparison, so you should be doing the research, which would and should also include asking duval. He isn't obligated to do anything, and you are the one trying to making an attempt at an 'educated' and (also a non-complete) comparison.

You talk too much about $money$ for you to say it's not important. It is even your base of conversation with me. (hint* I'm not in desperate need for money. I can pay my mortgage, two car payments, car insurance, electric, water, food, cellphone business phone, cable, internet and all the trimmings)

Also, it is pretty much nobody else but you that people are annoyed with. People on these forums are tired of you consistently and constantly barging in on every single thread and shoving the same ol' $h*t in it.

As far as time constraints, I don't see anyone else on these forums with as much free time as you, and your posting is representative of that. Maybe you should try to educate yourself more in what you are doing, rather than constantly trying to make uneducated comparisons and belittling your peers for not agreeing with you.

Then go for it, and once done, don't come trying to shove it in every single thread again. If it's good enough, people will find it themselves.

What you are doing is far, very very far form educating anyone. Its called 'annoying everyone'

Whatever its fate may be, then it will be. Nomatter who owns it, if they come here trying to shove it into every single thread as a means of promotion, then they too will get the same overall opinion that is being given now; 'Nobody wants to hear it in every single thread'

That we will; We'll see if you can learn from the mistakes you are already making.

an0n, Jul 9, 2008 IP
    Brian1970 likes this.
  13. ccoonen

ccoonen Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Wowsers, I must have been gone from the web dir world a while, never heard of phplynx!

ccoonen, Jul 9, 2008 IP
    hyper likes this.
  14. DragonGuy

DragonGuy Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Frankly I do not like the owner of stynx, not the script itself. The owner tried every chance to hijack every thread possible to advertise his script. There is actually no fault with self promotion. The problem is he pretend to help others by involving in the discussions but everyone can tell there's disguised promotion among his words.

DragonGuy, Jul 9, 2008 IP
    hyper and JamieG like this.
  15. JamieG

JamieG Banned

Best Answers:
    You rent, I'll say no more. :rolleyes:

JamieG, Jul 9, 2008 IP
  16. an0n

an0n Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Like I just replied to you in the PM you sent to me;

Myself and my wife are laughing here, while sitting in the house that we (keyword here, don't hurt yourself) 'OWN'.

(wifey says to let you know 'we' are having fun, since you said 'lets have fun')

an0n, Jul 9, 2008 IP
  17. Brandon Sheley

Brandon Sheley Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    you're not the only one :rolleyes:
    what's wrong with renting :confused: and what does that have to do with this thread?:eek:

Brandon Sheley, Jul 9, 2008 IP
    JamieG likes this.
  18. vicdigi

vicdigi Banned

Best Answers:
    Well, I guess I started this thread so will add a little contribution myself.

Personally or in business - I will never ever use phpLynx even the script is supposed to be great.

Jamie and others who are promoting phpLynx - you have constantly / persistently damaged this by all the abuse that has been aimed at DP members.

I am hearing talk of people being lawyers - This is actually quite funny for me to hear as whilst I am not a lawyer - I work for a top international law firm in London with over 23 offices worldwide and I run my department.

To hear such words coming from the promoters of phpLynx and at that - coming from the UK, I must say how really disappointed I am.

I am all up for bigging up UK businesses because UK is where the heart is at. This is quite sad.

My advice Jamie and the team behind phpLynx - if you can take one moment and take a step back from DP Forums, analyse, let critics be critics, promote your product otherwise if it is as great as you say it is, PPC your product, maybe even change the name!

As for between the products, we use phpLD and have from day one been very happy with the script and the people behind it.

Good luck to both parties.
    Vic

vicdigi, Jul 10, 2008 IP
  19. JamieG

JamieG Banned

Best Answers:
    Which one is that vic? Eversheds? Let me know via p.m, you'd be surprised who I know up with you. Is Master Bragg still up in the RCJ? If its true you work for a law firm then you'll know that my LPC only qualifies me to be a glamorized tea boy for a couple of years while working my way up the pecking order, not sure I want to do that but hey, anything is better than getting involved with people on forums like this, many of whom probably don't even declare their earnings to the IRS let alone have a real job in real life. :rolleyes:

Anyway, I digress, so back on track until I do decide on my next move. The OP asked for a comparison of phpld and phpLynx I gave it and I'll give it again, its as accurate as it can be although it can and will be altered if needed.

The list to remind people is below and people are free to make their own if there are any amendments needed. They are also free to choose what script they wish to use as I really am not bothered as long as they enjoy success.

[​IMG]

I don't expect any more hi-jacking of this thread so only contributions relevant to the post should be made, so no harassing, no flaming, no nothing except relevant comments please.

Freedom of choice is what its about. ;)

JamieG, Jul 10, 2008 IP
  20. serplover

serplover Active Member

Best Answers:
    wow,didnt know phplynx was better than phpld in so many ways.what does it cost?anyone knows and where can i get one.
    if all feautures mentioned here are true then it is a great advancement over phpld and will go a long way.

serplover, Jul 10, 2008 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.