1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Young Entrepreneur HELP! :P

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by duler700, Jul 5, 2008.

1. adamsd11

adamsd11 Peon

Best Answers:
    When I first got into college 4 years ago, I worked on a website that had some potential, but inevitably failed (near the end it had approx 315 members). I didn't go about marketing the right way, I was showing it to people when it wasn't even fully functional, posting flyers before it was crisp and clean, and was pretty much telling my friends and other people to join (which isn't good business ethics, you should allow poeple to join on their own)

Anyway, moral of the story is: your first idea might be successful or fail, either way your gonna learn from it, I'm working on two sites at the moment and now have alot more confidence in them.

Just keep working hard and keep doing your research. Goodluck.

adamsd11, Jul 6, 2008 IP
  2. Erthy

Erthy Peon

Best Answers:
    Get on the first page for what key phrases? Nobody searches for "music, movies/tv, and video games". A site like that would be very difficult to market because of the vastness of the niche. In fact I don't even think you can classify that as a niche, since most people who have access to a computer like music/movies/tv/video games. You may want to narrow your topic, at least for a first venture.

You also need to think about your target audience. Who are they? How old are they? What sites do they visit? Are they searching for the type of content I'm providing?

Target audience identification should come before you start estimating how much money you are going to earn.

Erthy, Jul 6, 2008 IP
  3. 7point4

7point4 Guest

Best Answers:
    i only can answer to that, is I'm pretty much the same

i found the best way to keep up is to have many projects at the same time, so when you get bored with one - you stop immediately (don't do anymore- as you will screw it) and move to another, then when you get annoyed with other -you move back and so on..

I'm keeping with fife at a time to keep me entertained

7point4, Jul 6, 2008 IP
  4. ookee2u

ookee2u Peon

Best Answers:
    yerp, you are wasting your time.:D Waiting is not good dude. Wasting time and afford talking something you don;t do is a lame. Just go and register a domain and hit em'!! Or you can cek my blog at www.ShockingHomeBusiness.com I'm a entrepreneur too. Age 20.:)

ookee2u, Jul 6, 2008 IP
  5. duler700

duler700 Guest

Best Answers:
    Thanks everyone! Although, as I said I get passionate about something then move on and guess what! I have! Not completely though, I've thought of a different niche. I mean as someone said entertainment is so broad, and it would take me a LONG time to get a good search result, so I think I have a good idea with this site I'll be opening about the sport Lacrosse. I'm very passionate about the sport and I've been playing for a while, and I think with alot of work I have a better chance of getting it ranked better. I mean when searching Google, the result numbers are nothing compared to the other niche was going to do. There is a rather large Lacrosse audience that I think I could target, but it would be possible to do!

THANKS EVERYONE! YOU'LL SEE MY SITE HOPEFULLY IN THE NEXT WEEK OR SO!

duler700, Jul 6, 2008 IP
  6. Meanna Blog

Meanna Blog Banned

Best Answers:
    when I was 13 I was out in the steet skateboarding with an inner tube wrapepd around the board so I could do really big 'ollies' .... oh those were the days!

Meanna Blog, Jul 6, 2008 IP
  7. duler700

duler700 Guest

Best Answers:
    I'm more of a snow boarder. :p 'Sept its summer. SO NO SNOW RIGHT NOW! :p

duler700, Jul 6, 2008 IP
  8. BlueDevilMedia

BlueDevilMedia Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Less talk, more action!

BlueDevilMedia, Jul 6, 2008 IP
  9. NewTier

NewTier Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Your post is very funny. Because I can tell you lack experience. I ranked a site at number 1 out of 15,000,000 competition. You can do it too. Send me a PM and I will help you out..

NewTier, Jul 6, 2008 IP
  10. miccy

miccy Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    if the actions is not planned carefully would the action worth it?

miccy, Jul 6, 2008 IP
  11. Timby

Timby Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    For starters pick a niche that you are solidly interested in; think "will I still want to be doing this site in a years time?" if the answer is no, then it's probably better to save that idea for a later date or maybe a side project once you have your main website up and running.

Timby, Jul 7, 2008 IP
  12. duler700

duler700 Guest

Best Answers:
    I don't really know what I'm solidly interested in, though. I mean technology, sports, weather? :p I want to do it all.

duler700, Jul 9, 2008 IP
  13. Id3ntity-Unkn0wn

Id3ntity-Unkn0wn Peon

Best Answers:
    As a young entrepreneur youl encounter setback after setback after setback, doesnt matter if you got the ideas or the passion, the system wasnt developed for under 18's in mind and theres a lot of limitations its much harder. You just gotta find ways around and there is ALWAYS loopholes, but it takes time and usually a bit of money. Whatever you do, dont use paypal....The first big I made was taken by them, and since I signed up with fake details as you do no way I could claim my money. There are ways around but your never gonna be able to trade succesfully unless your able to completely verify your identity, it all depends on your situation really, mines not a very good one :p best of luck to you.

Id3ntity-Unkn0wn, Jul 9, 2008 IP
  14. Scorpiono

Scorpiono Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I'm 18, my advice is to keep being perseverent in one project, no matter how stupid it looks. ;)

Scorpiono, Jul 9, 2008 IP
  15. dbbrock1

dbbrock1 Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes you might as well start your website now then wait 2 years to release a better one. Atleast you will start gaining backlinks and authority this way. As for being first in a competitive keyword, good luck. I dont know what you are targetting but Ive been targeting a really competitive keyword over the last year or so and have slowly been making my way towards to top. Im not top 10 by any means, but im top 50 and Im happy with that for a years worth of work in a competitive term

dbbrock1, Jul 9, 2008 IP
  16. clinton

clinton Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Even if you don't like MySpace, you can still profit from it. I hate it too, but theres a lot of people there, and hell its a great place to start.

clinton, Jul 9, 2008 IP
  17. CarlBlogger

CarlBlogger Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hi there,

I'm currently 17 and somewhat on the venture your setting out on but I'm going down a different path. I used to play runescape and all that but entertainment is not my thing and I've built many websites since I first laid my fingers on one at 11 years of age. I'm building websites quite fast and launching new websites that I hope to generate quite a bit of revenue from.

I've been blogging for around 5 months now and it's definitely something that appeals in the fact that out of all of this, if all goes well, I can write about how I do it. I'm developing new sites, blogging and freelancing to earn money and I would suggest just finding something you're suitable and comfortable with to learn from. I hear you say you're an accomplished designer. Use this to your advantage and make the most of it instead of launching yourself in to a big project.

I emphasise on the planning of what you're going to do and making sure you're ready to launch. People can launch products with advanced knowledge and make thousands a day but if you are new (you are, as you mentioned) then I would take things seriously slowly and absorb the large amount of information that is out there. I've been in many markets including launching my own web hosting company, affiliate marketing and many more and there is unbelievable amounts to learn.

I pretty much say take on board what people are saying here and take each day as a day where you can make the difference and try something new. Innovation and experience work well together. Work as hard as you can on something and maximise it to its full. I wouldn't leave a project hanging around and especially make use of domain names that you have. Anything new, wacky and creative could be the key to your millions.

Anyway, I hope I've given you a bit of inspiration and knowledge.

Best Wishes for the Future,
    Carl :)

CarlBlogger, Jul 9, 2008 IP
    clinton likes this.
  18. badmaash

badmaash Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi - I just turned 11 and I have made my first sPlog network last month which made me a lot of money.

Keep up the work!

badmaash, Jul 9, 2008 IP
  19. duler700

duler700 Guest

Best Answers:
    badmaash, I don't appreciate the sarcasm. But congratulations. :)

Id3ntity-Unkn0wn, your words are truly short, but inspirational.

Clinton, how would I go abouts using MySpace, though? How do I make revenu frome it?

CarlBlogger, all I can say is thank you! I think that's what I've been waiting to hear my whole life. I've been absorbing so much information on this forum, but I don't think any of it will amount to what you've just said. Thanks you.

Thank you to everyone, I'll always remember these comments. They're all truly inspirational.

duler700, Jul 9, 2008 IP
  20. clinton

clinton Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Well not directly from MySpace but if you have a blog, site, product you can promote it to a targeted audience.
    Takes a lot of work, but hey theres people-and where theres people theres the opportunity to make money. For example I'm starting a social network, I promote a waiting list page where people add their name and e-mail. I'm doing it all through other social networks right now. I just ad poeple to my friends list and say "hey you should check out this social network project I'm working on..(and I give them the link)"

So if you have a:
    - Blog
    - Forum
    - Game Site
    - Social Networking Site
    - Affiliate Product

If you make sure you don't look like a spammer and talk to people, meet to people etc. you can make quite a bit of money.

But you know, social networking is only a fraction of the things you can use to drive traffic.

I envy you, you said you were 13. When I was that age I was into web design and all that but I didn't know too much about marketing(thought it had something to do with super markets and had nothing to do with the web:D). So yeah, learn as much now as you can so when your older you can make some BIG money.

Good luck with all your in devours:)-keep learning

clinton, Jul 9, 2008 IP