1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Incentivised Sterilisation

Discussion in 'Politics & Religion' started by stOx, Jul 8, 2008.

1. guerilla

guerilla Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Poverty is not determined by genetics.

And intelligence isn't the only means to success or the only attribute for successfully raising children. If it was, Bill Gates would be your model citizen, and Jessica Simpson would be getting her ovaries shriveled (Which would make Crazy_Rob sad).

guerilla, Jul 8, 2008 IP
  2. LogicFlux

LogicFlux Peon

Best Answers:
    Using J Simpson is a very bad tactic if you want to convince people that this would be wrong. :D

LogicFlux, Jul 8, 2008 IP
    smatts9 likes this.
  3. stOx

stOx Notable Member

Best Answers:
    poverty isn't determined by genetics and i never said it is, As is demonstrated by the sentence you actually quoted.

stOx, Jul 8, 2008 IP
    smatts9 likes this.
  4. guerilla

guerilla Notable Member

Best Answers:
    The world would be an uglier place with more Bill Gates and less Jessica Simpsons. :(

guerilla, Jul 8, 2008 IP
  5. guerilla

guerilla Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Quite sincerely, I hope you take my point about principles to heart, and not as an attack. Ideologically we are far apart, but I respect your intelligence, if not your conclusions.

Did you watch Gattaca? It's food for thought...

guerilla, Jul 8, 2008 IP
  6. GRIM

GRIM Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    You still do not get it, your reason will in effect create a system where a minority group, be it 'unintelligent' or 'poor' or 'color' is paid to not reproduce.

You can easily show if you wanted to that color A has a better history of raising kids, on average is above the intelligence of color B and C.
    I didn't know that being rich was a requirement for having children. I also didn't realize being brilliant made you a better parent.

Quite the contrary, I have often read that those who are extremely wealthy and or intelligent make some of the worst parents.

GRIM, Jul 8, 2008 IP
  7. ncz_nate

ncz_nate Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Race is just a correlation grim, stOx made no mention of it previously. If this is racist, then higher oil prices are also racist because minority families don't have that kind of money.

Depending on how you define intelligence, it's most definitely required to start a family. Of course, like grim mentioned earlier.. if we were to just become less dependent, that might solve everything. Not that I endorse this particular idea, but it does make for good discussion. Being a mother or father is a big job and it's not something you can just decide to do one day, it's a commitment that requires honest effort. If you can't live up to a poor decision you made in the heat of some moment, you risk making your child's life a miserable hell. Forget the burden it is on the economy, or the inconsiderate parents, the lives lead by these children are far more impacting; keep in mind our future is lead by them (or us).

I'm just fed up with people who can't make smart decisions that's all. Maybe a little apathetic, but sometimes I wish people didn't have the capability to reproduce, it would make everybody's life a hell of a lot easier.

:D

ncz_nate, Jul 8, 2008 IP
  8. GRIM

GRIM Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I understand that, however the end effect is the same, no matter what you started out to accomplish.

GRIM, Jul 8, 2008 IP
  9. cientificoloco

cientificoloco Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If the problem is education maybe the solution is education. I don't think it's a problem of intelligence, most people have the intelligence necessary to realise how many kids are too many, but many are not educated and just don't get it.

cientificoloco, Jul 8, 2008 IP
  10. GRIM

GRIM Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Many times these supposed 'unintelligent' people are intelligent enough to know that having another child will get them more assistance from the government.

Take away the carrot and will the rabbit still chase?

GRIM, Jul 8, 2008 IP
  11. LogicFlux

LogicFlux Peon

Best Answers:
    Lack of accessible education isn't the problem. The problem is with people not taking advantage of it, and that also has a lot to do with parenting or lack thereof.

12. ncz_nate

ncz_nate Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Both spot on. Case closed!

ncz_nate, Jul 8, 2008 IP
  13. cientificoloco

Best Answers:
    I disagree. This may be true for middle classed sectors, but millions just don't know what a condom is and what is it for. Lack of accessible education IS a problem for a vast part of humanity.

14. LogicFlux

LogicFlux Peon

Best Answers:
    Oh, we're talking about two different kinds of education and maybe about different parts of the world. I was talking about general education.

15. korr

korr Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm adopted, so I'm against any sort of plot to thin the herd by popping off the unborn - wanted, unwanted, poor or whatever. I'd rather be alive and sick and broke than never have been at all.

People who say there are too many people in the world never volunteer their own lives as part of the solution. Hypocrisy or self-important condescension - which is it?

korr, Jul 8, 2008 IP
  16. lightless

lightless Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Their plight is much better than the millions who know what it is and what it is for, but never get the chance to use it ;)

lightless, Jul 8, 2008 IP
  17. guerilla

guerilla Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Or rather that education teaches you fairy tales, not what you need to know.

There is a reason that home schooled children are beating the piss out of state schooled children in all metrics. The state has an incentive to educate, not to educate well. The McDonalds of education, so to speak. Remember Ms. South Carolina? Prime stOx subject for sterilization.

Parents have an incentive to educate well, because the shortcomings of their children are their burden to bear, and the proficiency of the children is the health of their retirement years.

Or at least, that is how it was supposed to work, before kids got separated from their family during the day, and the aged were supported by the state and not their children in the retirement. The cycle of life has been broken with the state at the beginning and end, replacing the natural interaction and process of the children becoming the parents as their lives advance.

guerilla, Jul 8, 2008 IP
  18. cientificoloco

Best Answers:
    This debate (home schooling vs state) doesn't apply here. I'm talking about hordes of people, especially in rural areas and the poorest strata in metropolis around the world (not the US, or also, I don't know) who barely know how to talk and conduct very basic duties. Many know nothing about reproduction (condoms, menstrual cycles and so on). These people (children, parents and grandparents) are ALREADY ignorant and can hardly educate their children on whatever they don't know. Of course, they are the ones who are having the most children and whom education needs to be targeted to (again, not talking about general schooling). If that can be achieved (can it?) I think would work better than sterilisation.

19. stOx

stOx Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Unless the data can show that a particular colour are worse parents BECAUSE of their colour, Specifically that the colour is the CAUSE, then it's a flawed comparison. I keep explaining to you why the comparison is flawed but you have to cling on to it because the only argument you can make.

No you haven't. You haven't "often read that" at all. You have actually just made it up because it supports your otherwise baseless argument.

stOx, Jul 9, 2008 IP
  20. guerilla

guerilla Notable Member

Best Answers:
    stOx, the problem is, when you start sorting people statistically, and race is part of the genetic sequence, it is only a matter of time until the non-racial criteria intersects with some racial criteria, and then the race issue is on.

It is a disturbing world where people are less likely to want to help one another, and more likely to ask the state to sterilize people who need opportunities, resources and assistance.

Personally, I think this is very evil. The state is instituted by men, for men including the minority. The state should not be used as a weapon by the majority against the minority, and the notion of paying people not to reproduce is just so mind blowingly unethical and immoral....

guerilla, Jul 9, 2008 IP