1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

writing a terms and condition agreement

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by lapowerlifter242, Jul 7, 2008.

I am trying to write a terms and condition agreement AND a privacy policy. There will be money involved with my website so these are important. Question is who writes these, do i need to pay an attorney 1000's of dollars. What do all of you webmasters do about a terms and conditions and Privacy policy?

lapowerlifter242, Jul 7, 2008 IP
  2. Business Attorney

Business Attorney Active Member

Best Answers:
    I write my own :)

It depends on your site. If you have a cookie cutter site, you can check out a few of your well-funded competitors and hope that you are copying from someone who had their attorney write it or at least review it.

If you have a site where there are big potential liabilities (you handle medical records, for example), you would be well advised to have an attorney review your terms and conditions and privacy policy.

In any event, it should not cost you thousands of dollars. You should ask around and find an attorney who has done a number of them before and is therefore familiar with the potential issues. You can even help out by finding some good examples to give him if your site is one that has issues that are relatively unique. There is no reason why a good terms and conditions and privacy policy should take a knowledgeable attorney more than an hour or two to complete. Assuming an experienced attorney charges somewhere in the range of $250 to $400 per hour, that means the cost should be somewhere between $250 and $800.

Business Attorney, Jul 7, 2008 IP
  3. lapowerlifter242

lapowerlifter242 Peon

Best Answers:
    sounds like a plan, but let me ask this. If the terms and conditions are relatively the same and I change them a bit to customize my site would this be copywriting? I have an auction site and want to compare the terms of use with other major sites, would this be ok to do

lapowerlifter242, Jul 7, 2008 IP
  4. Dave Zan

Dave Zan Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    That's copyrighting, but still possible infringement.

More importantly, you might need to seek one familiar with your jurisdiction.

Dave Zan, Jul 7, 2008 IP