1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

I am new to this and would like to know some good ways to drive more traffic to sites

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by Dave82689, Jul 7, 2008.

my site is TheGatorChomp.com and its newly created about 2 weeks ago i created it, and so far has had about 18- unquie visitors and about 11k hits, so i dont know if this is good or not, but i would like to know from the experts here some good ways to drive more traffic to my site

thanks

dave

Dave82689, Jul 7, 2008 IP
  2. Trioman

Trioman Active Member

Best Answers:
    Sounds like you're doing pretty good for about two weeks. You must have your site optimized pretty well to get 11k hits in that short period of time. Are those hits targeted hits or are you running your site through the traffic exchanges?

My suggestion to you would be to start a blog on your topic if you haven't already and leave your website as the source. The more backlinks you have pointing to your site the higher your rankinks will be in the search engines, thus creating more traffic for your website.

Good Luck!

Trioman, Jul 7, 2008 IP
  3. ajhp99

ajhp99 Peon

Best Answers:
    The design of your site is pretty cool. Your right sidebar is located at the bottom in Firefox. It should be adjusted so it is closer to the top so people can see it and click on the links.

ajhp99, Jul 7, 2008 IP
  4. TheYoungGuy

TheYoungGuy Peon

Best Answers:
    11k hits? Thats pretty crazy... I need to know what you did for those kind of results!!!

TheYoungGuy, Jul 7, 2008 IP
  5. hermione_dies

hermione_dies Peon

Best Answers:
    Your ads are too invasive for my taste. You don't have to stick them in the most obnoxious places to get excellent click through ratios. It seems you have a blatant intention to make money off of it. When you're starting with a site you have to think Will users find my content interesting? rather than How can I make money off my viewers?. If you follow the former you will eventually reach the latter and make profit off of your website, without driving users away.

I suggest you also research your niche to find terms that will drive relevant traffic. However, that doesn't mean you should concentrate only on the home page. You may have heard -- "Content is King" -- this isn't just some useless phrase.. it actually is king. Create your own content, do not copy other peoples' content or settle for a lame RSS auto-poster. Use modern SEO techniques such as social bookmarking, but never forget the fundamentals.

hermione_dies, Jul 7, 2008 IP
  6. Dave82689

Dave82689 Active Member

Best Answers:
    how do i adjust my site for other browsers like firefox i hear u all saying my sidebar is at the bottom in it? how to fix that? and should my ads not be in my posts on my site? should I maybe put a skyscraper on the left or something? and my google custom search bar in the right sidebar goes all the way across the page should it do that? and if not how can i fix this?

thanks for all the feedback, and to YoungGuy i just used the All-In-One-SEO plugin from wordpress on my site for the search engine ops

i dont really know anything else on how to drive traffic, i dont know what social bookmarketing is or backlinks, so yeah

thanks for help
    Dave

Dave82689, Jul 7, 2008 IP
  7. hermione_dies

hermione_dies Peon

Best Answers:
    Social Bookmarketing is using sites like digg.com to drive traffic toward your site. A backlink is a link from a site to your website.

hermione_dies, Jul 7, 2008 IP
  8. mentos

mentos Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    you can submit your link to major directory

mentos, Jul 8, 2008 IP
  9. RichSage

RichSage Peon

Best Answers:
    HI,

Some good advice above. To it I'll add that you need to start a good dose of article marketing efforts.

My blog has a list of the best sites (article sites) I've used to build huge traffic growth. Just search "Best Article Sites" and you'll know.

Cheers & success,
    Sam

RichSage, Jul 8, 2008 IP
  10. infoaddicts

infoaddicts Active Member

Best Answers:
    marketing with web 2.0 sites does help ...

infoaddicts, Jul 8, 2008 IP
  11. Darkness

Darkness Peon

Best Answers:
    Great info however you fail to mention what kind of web 2.0 sites, when your trying to increase your post count try to at least post good posts.

At the author, try finding a sports based digg or go to the sports section on digg.

Darkness, Jul 8, 2008 IP
  12. talewins

talewins Peon

Best Answers:
    This terrific traffic response troubles me. "18- unquie visitors and about 11k hits". You guys appear to be so impressed that you must be saying he had 11,000 pages visited. That is not the information I read in that sentence. What I read is that only eighteen real people have visited Dave's site. If only eighteen people visited and we have eleven thousand "hits", that would tell me that either
    (a) each visitor went to 871 pages,
    OR,
    (b) "hits" still means some item was called for during a visit. For example, on my most popular page there are 72 pictures and 14 symbols that are called for. Therefore, each visitor that stays longer than 63 seconds on that one page will give me 86 "hits". If they follow up on an internal link they will trigger about 16 more hits per page visited.
    Now, the way I understand the TOS here I can't put links in my posts yet, so I'll break this one up and hope it passes review. talewins. com/p2.htm will pull up a revolving page. If you just look at the page, it changes, then changes again, and again. With each presentation of a new page I have six HITS. 6 times 5 is 30 hits per viewing. I've had some people that just let it run all day long. That might give me a hundred thousand "hits" but I would still have just the one visitor and they only saw five pages, numerous times.
    I'm not saying Dave did something like this, or that he did anything deliberately at all to bump that figure upwards.
    All I am saying is that 11k hits is not the same thing as 11k visits, or even 11k pages. And it just seems to me that Dave (being new to all this) might not understand what a "hit" is, and that we (because we are experience) have jumped to the conclusion that he must mean "visits" instead of "hits".
    So, just to clear all this up for all of us, let me ask you (Dave) how many times was your index (or front) page visited? How many times was each subsequent page listed in your stats visited? Last question: Have you set up your stats so that search engine visits are not counted?
    Here is a picture (I hope) of what your stats would look like in awstats..
    [​IMG]

talewins, Jul 8, 2008 IP
  13. TheYoungGuy

TheYoungGuy Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, I agree with what you are pointing out there talewins. And I'll admit, there was a slight amount of sarcasm in my wording, however undetectable it was. But encouraging a new blogger to reach great heights is not at bad thing. And there is a lot of great advice out there. Do discourage. But I am glad to see there is someone else out there with an analytical mindset like my own.

-TheYoungGuy

TheYoungGuy, Jul 8, 2008 IP
  14. massivepwn

massivepwn Peon

Best Answers:
    I've created a tutorial on just that! Hope it helps! :)

edit: Unable to add the link, because I am a forum "newbie", but if you scroll down for my name you should see it! :eek:

Credit: thetempestproject DOT ipbfree DOT com

-Tempest Games

massivepwn, Jul 8, 2008 IP