1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Review Request: Executive Bored - Anonymous support group for people stuck at work

Discussion in 'Websites' started by bflora, Jul 7, 2008.

I just opened the doors on a site last Monday and would love feedback.

http://www.executivebored.com

Executive Bored is an anonymous support group for people stuck at work. You can find and share games to play at your workstation, stuff to buy online, videos to watch at work, stories about what sucks at the office and much more.

Background (read after you check out the site)

I'm a mid-20s city-dweller with lots of accountant/consultant/white collar friends. They all share one thing - they hate their jobs. Also, the sites they used as procrastination fuel in college are definitely not work safe. The old tricks don't work in the office.

A writer friend (he works in HR) and I wondered if we could make something that "took care" of them during the work day so they could laugh about the situation together and get on with work. That's the audience and problem.

That was 12 days ago. Here's what we did since then to road test a solution:

1) Decided to attack with an "open magazine"-style site, a la JPGmag.com and College Humor.com. These sites are driven by a stable of contributors who "seed" the way for members to post their own stuff.

2) Picked Drupal to build it on. It's got the feature-set for a site like this.

3) Grabbed a domain name - Executive Bored,.

4) Thought up content with an eye toward making it easy to post stuff that seems natural in a work environment. You can post stuff you bought at work, links to music you listen to at work, videos you watch at the office, games you play in the office and stories about work, all anonymously.

I added some basic social networking features, profile pages, friending, a few profile fields, ability to track your submissions.

5) I worked away on it in my spare time for a few days. Sunday night we e-mailed friends and family about it. We started posting the next day. Response has been very positive. We're just now telling people we don't know about it.

So what what works? What doesn't? How do I make it more compelling and inviting?

If any of you are comedy writers or are interested in reaching this niche of white collar 20-somethings, let me know.

http://www.executivebored.com

bflora, Jul 7, 2008 IP
  2. cristlegirl

cristlegirl Peon

Best Answers:
    I think it's a great looking site, it's easy to get around and an interesting read. The only thing I might change is to change it so there are less post on the homepage, maybe only have 4 or 5 depending on length. Other then that It's a great set up.

cristlegirl, Jul 7, 2008 IP
  3. automatic

automatic Peon

Best Answers:
    Realy nice design! I also share the oppinion about too many posts on the index page. Showing less posts will also improve your homepage load time ;)

automatic, Jul 7, 2008 IP
  4. Semiperfectus

Semiperfectus Peon

Best Answers:
    Nice site you've got there bflora. It's quite hilarious, especially the Best Pratices: How to survive an office hallway encounter. Well done! :)

Semiperfectus, Jul 7, 2008 IP
  5. bflora

bflora Active Member

Best Answers:
    Huhn. I hadn't thought about that.

Ok. I've taken your advice and chopped the number of posts on the front page in half, down to five. Improvement?

Question: How would you go about marketing a site like this? Right now its mostly friends of ours, and we're making some good stuff out of that, but I really think there's potential here for this to grow.

bflora, Jul 7, 2008 IP
  6. raptrex

raptrex Peon

Best Answers:
    word of mouth at work
    or use it during work, as thats its purpose :D

maybe make the comment section open to guests like a blog instead of having people register

raptrex, Jul 7, 2008 IP