1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Why Put Adsense From Competitors In Your Site?

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by copper12, Jul 2, 2008.

I never understood this. Why?

Also, here's a neat little trick to avoid having to split the ad revenue with Google:

Figure out what kind of ads you would like in your site. Then do a keyword search. Click on the advertisers' adwords ads to ask them if they would also like to advertise in your site.

Sweeten the deal by offering them twice as much ad space, along with a picture.

Make even more money by looking for high bid ads, where the advertisers pay over $5 a click, like with insurance and health. Make pages that are related to the ads, and then bring the traffic in to satisfy the advertisers.

copper12, Jul 2, 2008 IP
  2. copper12

copper12 Peon

Best Answers:
    bump.........

copper12, Jul 3, 2008 IP
  3. Geeurbie

Geeurbie Peon

Best Answers:
    It makes no sense to me either, at least not for a B2B site.

Geeurbie, Jul 3, 2008 IP
  4. Louis Zanolli

Louis Zanolli Peon

Best Answers:
    It depends!

Think of it like putting restaurants close together. Together we get them hungrier and can appeal to different tastes, we all win.

Some believe a penny made is better that none at all; I vary myself on this topic depending on the project.

That being said, you might consider AdSense for your Site or Blog but not on a Product Page or Landing Pages!

Yes, do seek advertisers, sponsors, for your site or run a banner offer but you don't need AdSense to find them.

For sponsors, first, you need traffic and proof, then, you have to provide results to the advertisers in terms of ROI ... sales/converting traffic.

Use your search engine and the AdWords Key Word tool for both ideas but don't click ads you are not interested in purchasing, someone like you paid for that and you would be pissed if you found someone doing that to you.

Your last comments, about high paying advertisers, are true and what places like this forum are all about.

That is you have made a nice observation but it is common knowledge and practice.

I highly recommend you gather more experience and knowledge if you found these ideas to be revelations.

I don't want to hurt your feelings and it sounds as if you are enthusiastic, which is great, but now is the time for you to learn by reading lots of posts.

Finally, it is agreed that many sites, especially B2B top brands, should not rely on AdSense unless it is a good fit.

Louis

Louis Zanolli, Jul 4, 2008 IP
  5. Ricky Rich

Ricky Rich Peon

Best Answers:
    From my point of view, people who click on adsense ads tend to be fickle...

Ricky Rich, Jul 4, 2008 IP
  6. copper12

copper12 Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks guys.

It, might, work on sites that visitors come back to, time after time.

Thank you, but very few do know about this simple thing. And many don't think to do it. "Revelation"??? Nope. Being on the Internet for quite awhile now, I've already known this. Just passing it along, while asking why some webmasters would put competitors' ads on their sites.

Thanks again, guys.

copper12, Jul 4, 2008 IP
  7. justo

justo Peon

Best Answers:
    Direct ad sales isn't quite as simple as you would make it seem, but it is more profitable. First of all when you try and make an end run around google you need to figure out who the media buyer is, the bigger the company the harder this is. Second, AdWords gives advertisers a lot of analytical information for gauging the relative success of their campaigns, unless you are running your own ad server such as OpenX or Atlas you won't be able to give them anything beyond the number of impressions you supplied. Also, AdWords is attractive for advertisers because negotiating ad buys with lots of individual publishers isn't very efficient, Google mitigates the placing of ads over a large number of sites. Unless you have a site with a substantial amount of traffic you are going to have a hard time wooing big advertisers away from google or any ad network for that matter.

justo, Jul 4, 2008 IP
    BusinessCoach and vipfactor like this.
  8. Zibblu

Zibblu Guest

Best Answers:
    I agree with what you are saying in general - but I do think AdSense makes sense for some types of sites. Usually blogs that may cover many different topics. It's nice to be able to automatically have ads related to what you are talking about in those cases. Plus it saves a lot of time - doing everything you mention would be a bit of a pain.

But I do think when you are selling something in specific then it's almost always a mistake to include AdSense.

Zibblu, Jul 4, 2008 IP
  9. BusinessCoach

BusinessCoach Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Only people who throw ads up and don't bother to learn about adsense do this.

Adsense has in their own FAQs and Help Files...and thier blog

as well as every ebook ever written on adsense

teaches how to use the

Competitive Ad Filter

BusinessCoach, Jul 4, 2008 IP
  10. BusinessCoach

Best Answers:

can you show us some examples of ads where you have done this on one of your sites?

BusinessCoach, Jul 4, 2008 IP
  11. copper12

copper12 Peon

Best Answers:
    I never said it was.

Not if the webmaster has enough traffic and the right site for that particular advertiser.

Of course. That's why he should either have his site set up for that or charge a monthly flat fee.

Who said anything about approaching JUST the big guys? In fact, most of the advertisers are the small fry's.

No. Because I sell just my product. I built my sites for that purpose, not to sell others' products. Which is one of the reasons why I was asking why a webmaster would do this.

copper12, Jul 5, 2008 IP
  12. Geeurbie

Geeurbie Peon

Best Answers:
    Yep, I strongly agree... Not so good for B2Bsites at all.

Geeurbie, Jul 5, 2008 IP
  13. BusinessCoach

Best Answers:
    So in other words...this "neat little trick", that you felt necessary to BUMP to get some comments on is

just some theory you read somewhere.

You never did it, so how do you know it works?

The reality is, for 80% of site owners...what you suggest is not feasible or practical.

We tend to prefer EXPERIENCES over THEORY at DP

BusinessCoach, Jul 6, 2008 IP
  14. copper12

copper12 Peon

Best Answers:
    Nope, noob. This simple little thing is what old time marketers have been doing for years.

And I was bumping it up to get answers on why some webmasters put ads from competitors on their site.

Try to keep up.

Hey, by the way, is there, maybe, just one more copy left? Gee, I hope so!! Do I still need to hurry?!!!

You have no idea how hard I was laughing when I first read that snake-oil pitch.

copper12, Jul 6, 2008 IP
  15. BusinessCoach

Best Answers:
    you bumped because no one answered your silly post and it hurt your lil self esteem

so to feel better, you had to try to get more attention.

i happen to be one of those "old time marketers"

and you have several flaws in your thinking....but again...you said thats all it was...thinking...you never did it so how would you know?

lets see "snake oil" and "noob" in the same sentence....apparently someone got into their parents encyclopedia brittanica

well keep laughing

and you will still ask silly questions like "why would someone put adsense on a site"

success always brings out the jealousy in those with a lack of it...

we will all keep laughing to the bank ;)

BusinessCoach, Jul 6, 2008 IP
  16. copper12

copper12 Peon

Best Answers:
    I already found my answer, noob. Now it's just free entertainment at your expense from here on in.

Awww, poor thing. Did I piss you off. :D

Hey, don't act like a snake-oil salesman, and maybe you won't get laughed at. That, and you also need to learn more.

I'll give you one thing, you are good for free entertainment. :D

copper12, Jul 6, 2008 IP
  17. BusinessCoach

Best Answers:
    yes,

my job is to entertain the simple minded.

you couldn't piss me off if you tried...your too insignificant....kinda like the pesky gnat...you don't get pissed off, you just brush it away...knowing it is nothing more than a nuisance and soon will die or get eaten by a bird

thank you for quoting me from this thread

http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?t=909087

continueing to promote my offer

i got you to bump it a few times in the original thread...now you just keep mentioning it making people more and more curious

thanks for being too easy.

entertainment is a recession proof industry...money year round, no matter the economy...thanks for noticing!

every forum needs a village idiot....we were wondering when you would show up

BusinessCoach, Jul 7, 2008 IP
    vipfactor likes this.
  18. copper12

copper12 Peon

Best Answers:
    yes,

my job is to entertain the simple minded.

thank you for posting your amateurish snake-oil thread thread

continuing (it's not continueing, noobie.) to make me laugh

now you just keep mentioning your thread, making the more intelligent people see what a noob you really are with your laughable loud-ass font and "you better hurry!! there's only 3 left!!!."

thanks for being too easy.

entertainment is a recession proof industry...money year round, no matter the economy...thanks for noticing!

every forum needs a village idiot....we were wondering when you would show up.

See how I did that, noobie?

Thanks, again, for being too easy. :D

copper12, Jul 7, 2008 IP
  19. BusinessCoach

Best Answers:
    how many times can you use noob and snake-oil in the same thread/sentence

wow...hey at least you are getting your post count up!

won't stop you from being ignorant though!

BusinessCoach, Jul 7, 2008 IP
  20. copper12

copper12 Peon

Best Answers:
    As long as I can get your noob butt to keep posting that keeps me entertained, while it gets you red under the collar, as many times possible.

wow...hey at least you are getting your post count up!

won't stop you from being ignorant though!

See how I did that, again, noob?

Better hurry!! Only 1 copy left!!!!
    LOL!

copper12, Jul 7, 2008 IP