1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

v7ndotcom elursrebmem SEO Contest

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by hulkster, Jan 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. john_loch

john_loch Rodent Slayer

Best Answers:
    Thx Marcus..

I just hope they get your domain transferred soon. Glad to see you've still got it, and it's still legitimately registered etc.

The only concern for you now should be the new IP. I hope it doesn't effect you negatively, but do try to get your own c class. It may just help.

PS: You never mentioned why they did it ? (or is that better left alone)..

Cheers,

JL

john_loch, Apr 26, 2006 IP
  2. Marcus_Westberg

Marcus_Westberg Peon

Best Answers:
    My domain was shut down according to them (Surftown.se) of to high bandwidth usage.
    I got a mail saying my host account will be terminated on 2006-05-11
    When I recieved the mail on 2006-04-11 I figured one month should be enough for me to transfer my domain.

But noooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That´s when it happened!

A few days later 2006-04-15 they completly shut down my domain!! without notifying me!

I have about 10 active domains with content on this host (Surftown) and only one was shut down and of course it had to be marcuswestberg.com.

I got an SMS from a guy on Jim´s swedish SEO forum telling me that my domain was down..

I have not recieved any information from them on why they are doing this.
    Another stupid thing is that every mail that is coming from their support starts always something like this:

Hello John
    or
    Hello Patrik

when it should be:
    Hello Marcus (since Marcus is my name!!!!!)

I mean!! lol :) They really must straighten up! They never let me know anything!!

There is also another incident which happened about 6 months ago with them which I found extremly disturbing. But enough with bad host experiences in this thread.... I will write a post in my blog when everything is settled.

Marcus_Westberg, Apr 26, 2006 IP
    JohnScott likes this.
  3. john_loch

john_loch Rodent Slayer

Best Answers:
    At last check, a reverse DNS lookup showed 680 other sites resolving on the same IP. That many vhosts on the one IP usually means major oversell.

Who knows, maybe they did you a favour after all.

Cheers,

JL

4. hulkster

hulkster Peon

Best Answers:
    WOW - 680 shared hosts on a single IP ... and keep in mind that a single box may have multiple IP's ... so yea, sounds like there was some oversell there.

JohnL: Just had another idea for your excellent score cards page - maybe show some sort of "number of days in top spots" with weight average - i.e. something like this:

SiteA #.# 1-45, 2-23, 3-12, 4-6, etc.
    SiteB #.# 1-23, 2-14, 3-5, 4-2, etc.

SiteLETTER is the URL, #.# is some sort of weighted average over the life of the contest, and the #-## is the position and number of days they were at that position over the life of the contest.

hulkster, Apr 26, 2006 IP
  5. toms

toms Peon

Best Answers:
    toms, Apr 26, 2006 IP
  6. john_loch

john_loch Rodent Slayer

Best Answers:
    That's a good idea Alek. I was thinking of doing something simillar at the end of the comp, ie who held the top ten spots the longest over the period; it's a great indicator of ongoing effort rather than last minute stuff.

Only problem is time for me right now. See how i go ;)

Cheers,

JL

7. hulkster

hulkster Peon

Best Answers:
    You can send me a couple of high pagerank backlinks for that idea ... ;-)

8. hulkster

hulkster Peon

Best Answers:
  9. LaCabra

LaCabra Goats R Us

Best Answers:
    Read the artcile ... not bad at all!

LaCabra, Apr 27, 2006 IP
  10. Marcus_Westberg

Marcus_Westberg Peon

Best Answers:
    Yup all subpages are unreachable until the domain resolves correctly. The domain is now offically hosted on Godaddy.com (according to whois) so it wont be long until I get my site back in the show again :)

-- The Article --

Yeah! Nice article.. It´s nice to see that Jim and John are getting a lot of attention they both deserve it!
    This is the second article from a well known source, let´s hope that there will be some more after may 15´th :)

Oh! one more thing..

There was some talk before in some thread to start a "DP SEO contest team" is anyone still interested in this idea? Not for the v7ndotcom contest of course but for future contests. I mean with all the skill and "Google Juice" that are collected here it will be impossible not to win.....

But!! the more people joining the less money each contestant will recieve.. But hey! just want to hear your oppinion.

Marcus_Westberg, Apr 27, 2006 IP
  11. Marcus_Westberg

Marcus_Westberg Peon

Best Answers:
    Now I got my domain + content back online :)
    2 weeks to go! I am hoping to rank in the top 5 at May 15 now.

Marcus_Westberg, Apr 29, 2006 IP
  12. bluesync

bluesync Peon

Best Answers:
    i'm laughing at the guys on the first page about making this thread the highest ranking for v7ndotcom elursrebmem !

bluesync, Apr 30, 2006 IP
  13. hulkster

hulkster Peon

Best Answers:
    Looks like we'll see some of this pretty soon - per V7N Forum thread (post #887), folks are joining teams - MarcusW combines with SteveH (with a 70/30 split) to shoot for #1.

hulkster, Apr 30, 2006 IP
  14. Marcus_Westberg

Marcus_Westberg Peon

Best Answers:
    Interesting find here!

As you all know I redirected 2 pages from my domain for afew days time while it was disabled....

Now today i see that the 2 pages I redirected are currently not in the index anymore due to the fact that Google seems to be reflecting what happened about a week ago in the live time serps.

The pages I redirected are my mainpage + my contest page so now when making a search for "marcus westberg" or "v7ndotcom elursrebmem" the .nu domain appers instead....

The question now is how long will it be this way?? Hopefully just for 1-2 serp updates.. It will be interesting to see.

Marcus_Westberg, Apr 30, 2006 IP
  15. hulkster

hulkster Peon

Best Answers:
    Looks like SteveH is now 301 redirecting his #12 domain to your MarcusW one - should make for an interesting push.

BTW, anyone here at DP was to take credit for web-marketing.pl which continues a steady climb - tons of DP co-op weight getting pushed at it.

hulkster, May 1, 2006 IP
  16. hulkster

hulkster Peon

Best Answers:
    BTW, watch out for the Transformers as they recently busted into the top-10 ... I suggested over in V7 that they come up with a nifty graphic - they did a hilarious job as shown below.

[​IMG]

hulkster, May 1, 2006 IP
  17. Marcus_Westberg

Marcus_Westberg Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes! Me and Steven Hargrove teamed up! I wrote a post about it at v7n.com forums also... We have had good contact during this contest and a merge seemed like the right decision to take for both of us.

I usually see his user name online a lot but he doesnt write much, he explains on his contest site that he is not to good on English and that might be the reason why he doesnt post much.

Other then that my page is back in the serps again :)

Marcus_Westberg, May 1, 2006 IP
  18. hulkster

hulkster Peon

Best Answers:
    hulkster, May 3, 2006 IP
  19. Jim_Westergren

Jim_Westergren Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Nice new article in Swedish:
    http://realtid.se/ArticlePages/200605/03/20060503143222_Realtid281/20060503143222_Realtid281.dbp.asp

I will have a radio session as well on monday.

But there is something big happening now that I cannot figure out. I have 700 uniqes so far today on the contest page and that is only happening after a major newspaper article ala wall street. The last hour I get 1 visitor per minute in average and I cannot track from where it comes. It all comes from Google on the KW search but I don't know from where. And it is not the swedish article as it is mostly from US.

Is there a new article in US that I don't know about?

Jim_Westergren, May 5, 2006 IP
  20. hulkster

hulkster Peon

Best Answers:
    I recognize the picture in that article! Nice job Jim - can you provide a translation of that article? I don't see anything in Google news

hulkster, May 5, 2006 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.