1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Suggest sticky: Age requirements to sell.

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by mustangsally, Apr 26, 2006.

I wont get into to many details but I bought a site around 10 months back through a webmaster forum. He was 17 at the time (now 18)
    The site was shit back when he got it, now it does ~100$ a day.

He recently sued me to retain rights to regain his website, claiming as a minor he is unable to bind into a contract, and that the website was worth considerably more than it was sold for (it wasnt)

He won. Its not really setting me back (I still have 20 more sites with revenue) but the entire thing was shocking.
    I highly reccomend that from now on, all of you guys who buy sites ask POINT BLANK in the thread if the seller is over 18. (or better yet, have DP require them to post there age in for sale threads) If he says yes, this will resolve you of any legal problems.
    I realise this may be a isolated incident, but it is not impossible for it to happen again, for a much larger amount. Imagine you buy a site for 5k, and spend 6 months getting it to kick ass and do xxx$ a day, only to have the previous owner take it back, and thank you for your work. Sure you get your 5k back, but who cares at that point, the site would be worth much more.

The contract you need is the "Consent of Parent / Guardian for Minor to Enter into Contract"

Cheers, and dont forget! :)

mustangsally, Apr 26, 2006 IP
    Nintendo, Caydel and westhaven like this.
  2. Caydel

Caydel Peon

Best Answers:
    I second the Stickying motion here. I've heard of similar incidents...

Caydel, Apr 26, 2006 IP
  3. britishguy

britishguy Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Hi Boston Dan

Very good post, thank you for informing the forum users of your experience, I also second the Stickying motion

Thanks

britishguy

britishguy, Apr 26, 2006 IP
  4. Staale

Staale Peon

Best Answers:
    Its really shocking how people can be. Never heard about such a incident befor, but realise this could happend.

BUT, i dident think you had to be 18 to sell something. Contract is something else though.

Sticky! :)

Staale, Apr 26, 2006 IP
  5. mustangsally

mustangsally Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It makes me remember the story of some kid who sold his fathers babe ruth card for 50$
    Even though the sale was legit, and wasnt a "contract" the court awarded the card be returned

6. illusion

illusion Peon

Best Answers:
    This can't be fair :( There are a few gems that are being sold that are owned by under 18's.

How did that kid find out you were earning that much? Did you go and brag to him?

I am against this motion

illusion, Apr 26, 2006 IP
  7. mustangsally

Best Answers:
    Nobody is making it a REQUIREMENT, im just suggesting that buyers ask for it for any site of value.

8. boxer126

boxer126 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Wow, that sucks. Would you have gotten in trouble if you "accidentally" deleted the whole site? I know you lose either way, but he doesn't gain much unless he rebuilds, of course.

boxer126, Apr 26, 2006 IP
  9. mustangsally

Best Answers:
    I thought about it, but I guess I could have been sued for "future damages" at that point. Best to just let it go and move on.

Also, let me clarify. The title of this post was age requreiment to sell. I moreso meant "requirement to post your age" I am totally not saying you need to be 18 to sell a site, just that you post if you are over or under 18 when selling for the buyers knowledge

10. Greg-J

Greg-J I humbly return to you.

Best Answers:
    I completely agree. Although, I am astonished your courts let this through.

I was privilege to a case of a similar stature that enforced the contract(s) stating the minor was acting as parent/guardian and as such waived his rights as a minor (kind of an oxymoron, I know). I'm not a lawyer, and that wording is not exact, but you get the gist of the outcome and reasoning behind it.

I still can't believe the outcome of the situation. My condolences friend.

Greg-J, Apr 26, 2006 IP
  11. terryuk

terryuk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    It's understandable you want to under 18's to post age, but abit harsh if you ask me, i'm 17 and the thought of someone not buying my site because im under 18 doesn't make me feel too good.

terryuk, Apr 26, 2006 IP
  12. Greg-J

Greg-J I humbly return to you.

Best Answers:
    I bet the thought of losing $100 a day doesn't make you feel too good either though ;)

Greg-J, Apr 26, 2006 IP
    westhaven likes this.
  13. shauner

shauner Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I whole-heartedly agree that minors should not be selling or purchasing websites or anything for that matter because they are not legally allowed to enter into a binding agreement under U.S. law.

For all parties concerned I think this is a good suggestion and I will definitely be asking any prospective sellers if they are at least 18 years old before entering into any agreement.

Thanks for the heads up.

shauner, Apr 26, 2006 IP
  14. terryuk

terryuk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    yeah true, it's understandable, but wouldn't like it if a website of mine didn't sell because im under 18 :)

terryuk, Apr 26, 2006 IP
  15. SumitBahl

SumitBahl Reign of Chaos

Best Answers:
    This thread should've been placed in Suggestion and Feedback forum.
    I am not saying this as any criticism and have no intentions of hijacking this thread, just that then it would've caught the attention of MODS or Admin and they would do something about it, maybe.

On topic: How did that kid found out that you were making $100 per day?? Somebody must've told him, was he known personally to you?

SumitBahl, Apr 26, 2006 IP
  16. mustangsally

Best Answers:
    He wasnt personally known to me, I am guessing he just saw the alexa rank get higher and higher.

Thats not really the point though, even if I went bragging to his face, telling him how much of a idiot he was to sell (which I would never do) Does this give the seller the right to just take it back?

17. SumitBahl

SumitBahl Reign of Chaos

Best Answers:
    Definetely, thats not the best business etiquettes.

I am sure, he being a 17 year old, would not be able to maintain $100 per day as you did.

SumitBahl, Apr 26, 2006 IP
  18. tdc

tdc Active Member

Best Answers:
    I hope you remembered to charge him for the cost of the work you put in at $150 an hour?

tdc, Apr 26, 2006 IP
  19. Matteh

Matteh Peon

Best Answers:
    or returned the site files to the state that they was when you bought it from him.

Matteh, Apr 26, 2006 IP
  20. Skribblez

Skribblez Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Not saying I'm on the kids side or anything, but that's just underestimation...

Skribblez, Apr 26, 2006 IP
    westhaven likes this.