1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

5 SEO Tips from Matt Cutts

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by Geeurbie, Jul 4, 2008.

1. Bryce

Bryce Peon

Best Answers:
    "Feck it" ?? obviously you've seen Father Ted :D As webmasters, we're all stuck on "Craggy Island". We all know the big corporate sites get away with murder but what Google did in perverting the internet and turning search engines into advertising engines is unforgivable.

Google's algorithm is supposedly based upon collegiate "research paper" philosophy where one paper (or page) citing another passes authority. Last time I checked, you couldn't buy a "sponsored inclusion" into the dewey decial system. That's wonderful for all the people who can/could afford to spend 8 years in college but for those of us who left puberty working to pay for school, we see things in a different light.

For example : Why can't my friends "wet t-shirt babes" site link to my Ubuntu Linux site without penalty. Life isn't a term paper in college, it's about networking with your peers. If my friend is a hedonistic sex addict or a degenerate gambler, what does it really have to do with what I'm doing.

also, considering that we as humann beings are constantly evolving, what might seem as a "blue link" today might become a cultural icon tomorrow. I guess William S. Burroughs, Charles Bukowski, Trent Rezner, Marilyn Manson, Ozzy Osbourne, Gene Simmions AND GEORGE CARLIN (RIP) all proved that change is inevitable and society has problems catching up with progressive ideas. A tech company not unlike Google should be progressive but unforunately money bliended them and theyve become regressive.

It's all a bunch of bullcrap. In this ever changing world we live in, todays zeroes are tomorrows heroes. Of course Google is always "jumping someone elses train" but it's finally come to a point that the little engine that could has become the sleeping giant and we're all tying it's shoelaces together while it's sawing logs.

...and that bag of magic beans....

Bryce, Jul 6, 2008 IP
  2. lightless

lightless Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Not really. But hey, if i had posted these tips, people would throw rotten tomatoes at me and call me a noob. :D

Better that he doesn't give any tips, than give obvious tips that make newcomers feel like they have discovered a gold & oil mine together.

Done. Google is like a drug or a very strong alcoholic drink. After it's effect wears off, you are left thinking "WTF was i doing".

lightless, Jul 6, 2008 IP
    Blogmaster and zexy like this.
  3. Blogmaster

Blogmaster Blood Type Dating Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    Once a company becomes a powerful brand, they pretty much forget the spirit that once got them where they are and they assume that things will keep on riding along. Google is a prime example.
    Share holders came in, the owners started keeping their distance, employees like Matt make decisions without having experience in what it takes building such a company.
    Now it's all a game. The original algo was based on human behaviour, machines imitating humans, not the other way around.
    A lot of the old time programmers have little social skills which means they don't have the natural outlook on things like Bryce just expressed.

Blogmaster, Jul 6, 2008 IP
  4. www.goodinvestment.info

www.goodinvestment.info Peon

Best Answers:
    This is very non-technical. It can be useful for a beginner at the most.

5. scart3r

scart3r Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Hehe - sounds like this is gonna be a fun discussion.

*Sits back and grabs some popcorn*

Let the games begin!

scart3r, Jul 6, 2008 IP
    lightless likes this.
  6. namo21

namo21 Banned

Best Answers:
    what are you saying..i love matt cutts

namo21, Jul 6, 2008 IP
  7. bogart

bogart Notable Member

Best Answers:
    johnchow was on that check like white on rice. :D That is the lesson and made the story. Some people want the fame, but it's about business and money.

bogart, Jul 6, 2008 IP
    lightless likes this.
  8. www.goodinvestment.info

www.goodinvestment.info Peon

Best Answers:
    if you think the internet is about money, you are wasting your time.

9. lightlysalted

lightlysalted Active Member

Best Answers:
    simplicity is key and these work so why try black hat and get banned?

lightlysalted, Jul 6, 2008 IP
  10. Tudi

Tudi Peon

Best Answers:
    Because you require A LOT of simplicity, whereas you only require a little blackhat to get the same results (obviously with a risk from the latter). Sure, it's easy to say "create content" but content costs money, takes time and can give you headaches (hire the wrong writer and you'll see what I mean).

However, I don't support blackhat, I think it's just not worth the risk.

Tudi, Jul 6, 2008 IP
  11. uploas

uploas Peon

Best Answers:
    I allready know that.. It's very basic =\

uploas, Jul 6, 2008 IP
  12. jophan

jophan Active Member

Best Answers:
    these tips from matt cutts are an insult for some of us.
    there is more than just this. a proper site structure for
    example is crucial. or would you buy a book with totally
    misleading index of contents?

jophan, Jul 6, 2008 IP
  13. KingPin08

KingPin08 Banned

Best Answers:
    Oh my!! This thread has moved on in the last 24 hours.

I seen a few asking to see my SEO tips. Well people, my biggest SEO tip is not to listen to Matt if you want to rank for competitive keywords.

Also if you have Google Analytics, Sitemap, Toolbar or anything else related to Google, remove them from your computer and site.

I see some of Matt's little ass kissers here. Nothing wrong with being an ass kisser I don't think (but then I wouldn't know) but tell me.

Do you want to be a sheep? if so carry on reading his blog, applying his crappy, useless, basic technique's and hang on every single word he says.

Google with love you (even Matt will!!) but your bank balance wont.

I LOVE controversy and I LOVE debate, that is the only reason why I spoke out.

Hmm, I should get the Admin to change my username to Renegade SEO. But notice something, people here have all of a sudden piped up and more or less agreed with me or what I am saying.

I guess I can't say I'm a big fan of these "Celebrity SEOs", I just think they are sellouts to be perfectly honest.

It's people like me, people like Blogmaster and people like YOU who are the REAL SEO/SEM's who do this job day in and day out.

Not people who sell you pointless ebooks for $80 or a training course for $800 per month.

Your making only one person rich. And it's NOT YOU.

It's about time someone spoke up against these people and I'm the person to do it. Regardless of consequences.

Google HATES us SEO's with a passion, they don't want us to rank, they just want us to PAY AdWords. If it was up to Google, the 1 though to number 10 listings would be all paid links and the highest bidder ranks number 1.

Fact.

Anyways, I'll carry on doing what I'm doing which is not listening to Matt and asking him to marry me.

I'll carry on making my clients money and my own sites money.

KP

KingPin08, Jul 6, 2008 IP
  14. lightless

lightless Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Haha, you should have had a different username, although it's no longer possible :D

SEO isn't all about google. There are other search engines as well. I've gotten some good traffic from live lately.

lightless, Jul 6, 2008 IP
  15. fadetoblack22

fadetoblack22 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    But people don't listen to the basic stuff. How many people on here do you see asing the same questions everyday.

fadetoblack22, Jul 6, 2008 IP
  16. zexy

zexy Guest

Best Answers:
    You're right :D If you ask me even the SEOMoz articles are basic stuff still everyone is happy to read them.

Yes, that's a really cheap way to increase your traffic :D

zexy, Jul 6, 2008 IP
    lightless likes this.
  17. asmodeus

asmodeus Notable Member

Best Answers:

Yes, I find Yahoo to be more of a buyers market when it comes to search results, which is great if you're trying to make money online (or something close to a living).

I've had issues with the big G for years now. Back in the late 90's I used to be a fan of them when they were still a scrappy little upstart taking on the, then giants, MSN and Yahoo, but now they're just a huge, bloated corporation trying to own the internet. For me they started going downhill with the censoring of search terms in China. Apparently there is no democracy on the world wide web either...

asmodeus, Jul 6, 2008 IP
    lightless likes this.
  18. Arnold9000

Arnold9000 Peon

Best Answers:
    Can you link me to where you posted the stuff you know? Thanks.

Arnold9000, Jul 6, 2008 IP
  19. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    It is self-promotional and you're not at all sorry. It's all you know how to do.

What utter BS.

minstrel, Jul 6, 2008 IP
  20. Blogmaster

Blogmaster Blood Type Dating Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    Minstrel, if you don't have something at least halfway intelligent to add in here, I suggest you head back to the DMOZ section. :rolleyes:

Blogmaster, Jul 6, 2008 IP