1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

The Unofficial DP Winter '06 Affiliate Noob's Challenge thread

Discussion in 'Affiliate Programs' started by Mister Tut, Jan 13, 2006.

1. MattEvers

MattEvers Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks. I am going to look into that. It seems to do all the different combinations of words in phrases. Could be a good tool.

MattEvers, Apr 24, 2006 IP
  2. MattEvers

MattEvers Notable Member

Best Answers:
    The best traffic is targetted traffic. If every person was extremely targetted to my product, I would be a rich man. Since not everybody is, I have to buy traffic where atleast some of the people are looking for what I have to sell.

I don't really understand the question about conversion rates? I certainly wouldnt' do offers where the user had to fill out ten pages of info for a dollar. When I choose a program, I pick the one where I get paid the most with the least amount of work needed from the visitor.

MattEvers, Apr 24, 2006 IP
  3. sunchy

sunchy Active Member

Best Answers:
    Of Course, if you want targetted traffic use adwords. Is that simple...

Conversion rates is very important for Profit ;)

I have with my best affiliate program 1:16 conversion and make about $150 in profit per sale ;)

And affiliate programs that I am work for, paid me weekly

That 3 Things is important: Targetted Traffic, Goood Conversion, Weekly Payment = Make My Day :)

sunchy, Apr 25, 2006 IP
  4. YoungSmeagol

YoungSmeagol Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I meant should I take stuff like Earnings Per Click (CJ) or Gravity (Click Bank) into account? Or maybe certain products or niches might have higher or lower conversion rates than others. How do I choose a good product?

YoungSmeagol, Apr 25, 2006 IP
  5. MattEvers

MattEvers Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I don't pay attention to that earnings per click stuff because some people send untargetted traffic. That is network wide, so not really accurate for targetted traffic.

MattEvers, Apr 25, 2006 IP
  6. tomzx

tomzx Peon

Best Answers:
    well good luck promoting a product which as a lot of people currently advertising for (those with high gravity in CB). Hope you got the skills and the money to enter this kind of game.

tomzx, Apr 25, 2006 IP
  7. YoungSmeagol

Best Answers:
    I definitely wouldn't run a google adwords campaign at it. Cheap Adbrite ads at 6 cents per 1000 impressions will do. It's more of an experiment than anything. I'm following the rich jerk blueprint without much deviation so if it doesn't work then the book is a sham. If it does work I can run more and more cheap ads at it and then start taking out classified ads in newspapers, make kids pass out flyers etc.

I still need the money to start running some serious google ad campaigns so hopefully this will get me the money I need for the first investment.

Jeremy Palmer, a guy who made $1,000,000 in one year selling CJ affiliate products using Google Adwords makes a bunch of sites like this. Some call them spammy sites but he says he gets high conversion rates with hundreds of sites like these.

The funny thing is I've made a site like this and the conversion rates just weren't that high. That's why I think that conversion rates might be related to the type of products you are selling as well as very specific traffic.

8. tomzx

tomzx Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, then I should start checking out Adbrite soon, it seems like there's interesting stuff on there :) Can you get a good advertising for 50$ per month using Adbrite or your better to spend it somewhere else? And by the way, what's kind of cheap advertising can you get there?

tomzx, Apr 25, 2006 IP
  9. sunchy

sunchy Active Member

Best Answers:
    I also use adbrite. It is Good Cheap PPC ;)

sunchy, Apr 25, 2006 IP
  10. YoungSmeagol

Best Answers:
    I don't have much experience with adbrite. I just started yesterday after reading the recommendation in the shoemoney article (they haven't even approved my ad yet). :D

I won't know how much traffic I will get until they approve my ads but it seems like they charge you per 1000 impressions assuming you will only get a .01% CTR. At $50 you stand to get 800,000 impressions.

On adbrite it's all about getting as high of a CTR as possible because you pay per 1000 impressions regardless of whether or not they click your ad or not.

Before that I was on Miva paying 15 cents per click and making a small profit in a unprofitable niche market. It seemed like I was getting a lot of bot traffic from miva so I decided to leave miva alone for now.

Adbrite didn't have enough traffic for my other niche and that's when I decided to do a site selling products with high clickbank gravity.

11. Mister Tut

Mister Tut Guest

Best Answers:
    Smeag, I had a look at the landing page for the "RichJerk"-like campaign you mentioned, and I think your conversion rate may be negatively impacted by that page.

Granted I've not read the Rich Jerk, but I do know that grammar and spelling errors hurt credibility, particularly in a landing page.

Mister Tut, Apr 25, 2006 IP
  12. YoungSmeagol

Best Answers:
    Yikes, well I will work on it. I think a spelling and grammar check would only be $10 per page but, I don't want to do it. I could at least run a spell check using dreamweaver and look over my work a little bit more. Thank You.

I could always spin my spelling mistakes as anti-marketing. :D
    No seriously, I will work on it.

I'll tell you if it converts or not.

13. tomzx

tomzx Peon

Best Answers:
    Yea, well, I'm currently looking at untargeted traffic since I'm not that much in affiliates, really looking to build myself a nice amount of traffic so I can start using it to do some tests (yes, I'm a scientist)

Then, with the results, I'll start marketing the products I'll have chosen. Don't know how this will work, but I hope I'll get something out of it, even if it's a lesson.

tomzx, Apr 25, 2006 IP
  14. YoungSmeagol

Best Answers:
    I see so you are trying to figure out which products will and won't sell. Is that right?

Well I sold like 50 different products all at once on one of my sites and it seems totally random to me which products ended up selling. The gravity or earnings per sale didn't matter too much.

However, I do remember checking my logs and seeing people looking for very specific keyword phrases like Alkaline Diet Foods List and then a sale would show up on clickbank for the alkaline diet book that I said has a list of Alkaline Diet Foods.

15. tomzx

tomzx Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, I have no idea what product to sell, not because there are too many, but because of the lack of quality (I'm talking about CB). Most programs aren't that good, they are simply too much hyped... which is not a quite, but REALLY sad to my eyes. The concept of selling online could be really great if it wasn't only for the money you get out of it.

Who's in for a quality CB-like merchant e-store with me?

tomzx, Apr 25, 2006 IP
  16. Cyclops

Cyclops sensei

Best Answers:
    Absolutely :cool:

The landing pages for clickbank products put me off completely....notice they all look the same....there was a poll on another forum (can't remember where) asking who would buy a product from one of those spammy pages.
    90% said they wouldnt.

Cyclops, Apr 25, 2006 IP
  17. tomzx

tomzx Peon

Best Answers:
    I wouldn't either. I think there's a need for higher quality service than that. CB should be helping out those promoters to make their site look more "legit" or whatever. I can't stand looking at these, telling me I could buy from that, though there are tons of people who actually do. Could you image how many would if it was just slightly better?

I guess we should start a new tread and see if there are people interested.

tomzx, Apr 25, 2006 IP
  18. YoungSmeagol

Best Answers:
    Well they use hard sales letters because in most cases clickbank products are self-help type products like SEO Elite, "the Rich Jerk", and "Burn Fat Fast". They have to create a need for their product because there probably isn't a specific demand for those types of products.

That's no different than people selling "the juicer" or Anthony Robbins' "Get the edge" system. Most people don't get any benfit from these products but a few people do and they swear by the products.

I personally tried the Rich Jerk e-book and while I didn't quite reach my goals (world domination, bingo champion at the local nursing home) I still made $400 more than I did before I bought the book.

I tried products like Seo Elite and Google Cash with no success but I don't consider the service they provide to be of poor quality, they just didn't match up with me personally.

I bought a study skills book that I looked at for a while and tried to implement and ended up realizing that the book was more work than I expected. That doesn't mean that the book is of poor quality. I just was little bit lazier than the author expected. :rolleyes:

If you want to really provide a service to people market CJ products with specific keyword phrases. That way you are only providing people with products that they are specifically looking for and not trying to hard sell them on products they may or may not benefit from.

I personally don't have the money to do a strong google ad campaign like this just yet that's why I'm running adbrite ads for clickbank landing pages.

10% is very high, You only need like a 1 or 2% sales rate to be somewhat successful. Besides in an seo forum people know the real deal with affiliate programs. Why give away your money to another webmaster?

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...e:Widget&sa=X&oi=glossary_definition&ct=title
    Is that true? So a widget is basically nothing?

19. tomzx

tomzx Peon

Best Answers:
    I have to agree, some of the stuff on CB is fine, but you'll have to agree that much of it is only hype. Like many people here said, you can almost find everything on here with little work.

The only thing is that those sale letters they use are great but they seem too much spammy. There's not much work involved in the design, which is in my opinion what shows what is worthy or not. If the site was completely in text format, I'd have trouble feeling safe buying from them.

Yea, but what if it was 25+%, you'd get 2.5-5 % sales rate and you'd be 2.5 times more successful. Imagine how much money you'd be making. That's why CJ resellers aren't giving much comission (beside the fact that they sell hard product). The resellers know they will make money when the customer comes from a landing page. For a CB affiliate, it's something else. Your landing page maybe really sweet, but when he goes to the affiliate website, the customers sense scam and click the close button as soon as they see the first testimonials. That's sad because some products are really great, but their landing page is not really in top shape.

@MattEvers: I had some time yesterday and I tried the tool I gave you. It's really great, I found many keywords which I could get the 1-3 position for less than 10¢. I'd suggest you use some "suggestive" keywords such as good, great, etc. There's a lot of people looking for these specific keywords and the search amount is quite important. It is worth using those suggestive words. When you try the keywords you've generated in google, make sure to use the estimate tool provided by google and keep only those keywords which have a certain amount of traffic attached to it. If it gives you the "not enough statistics", it's better to drop it.

tomzx, Apr 26, 2006 IP
  20. YoungSmeagol

Best Answers:
    I agree most of the the products are hyped up

Not neccesarily, you've got to pick the right affiliate vendors and products. You personally, like many webmasters, probably don't like sales letters period no matter how bad or good the copywrite is but, the masses probably don't have a problem with those sales letters.

Take this book for example:
    http://www.quityourdayjob.com/ebook.php

I don't see anything wrong with the sales letter. This guy has the credentials and he really knows what he is talking about. However, there is always a catch.

Many people who buy this book will probably be turned off by recommendations for adwords campaigns or underestimate the time involved with SEO etc. If you've ever read a book like "make your content sell" then you just might consider a site like valentines2006.com a spammy site but that's truely how he made $1,000,000 in one year. With 100 sites just like that and very targeted traffic.

You will always have "the glass is half empty audience" calling Affiliate systems MLM Scams and all get rich books worthless but the books work for someone.

Heads up on the adbrite advertising. So far I'm not getting anywhere near the impressions that they estimated. I'm probably doing something wrong but I thought that I should at least mention that to you.

YoungSmeagol, Apr 26, 2006 IP