1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

You want higher CTR!? Try targeting local regions within a country.

Discussion in 'Google AdWords' started by Fatherspirit, Jul 3, 2008.

Maybe someone can help me out here please. My Ad Title describes a technique which I have never conclusively proved but I hear this one talked up a lot. Even Google Adwords recommends this in their user blurbs and I am a little unsure of the actual workings of this process. At first I thought that you would get higher ad position because your competition would be less but this doesn't pan out as the region selected would still be contained within the whole country searches. Or the whole world search for that matter..(why anyone does a whole world targeting is beyond me as, from what I know, Google does NOT do ad translations.) And it makes no difference if You control-C all the languages 'spoken'.

So, does localized targeting really lead to improved CTR's, and why, or is there a bit of a myth in all this!? And if so, what is Google banging on about in their help section?

Hope this doesn't all sound like double Dutch!
    Regards,
    Dave.

Fatherspirit, Jul 3, 2008 IP
  2. T_Media

T_Media Peon

Best Answers:
    We have experienced significant improvements in CTR using Geo targeting.

To make it work do the following:

First make sure, that being local is actually a selling point. If you're selling an ebook on affiliate marketing then mentioning you are london based won't make any difference, no one will give a rats ***. However if you are selling a local web design service, then saying you're based in london will attract the attention of london searchers because they will prefer to work with a local service that they can actually meet up with.

Once you know that being local is a selling point. Create an advert for that locality and mention the locality in the advert. In the heading if you can. For instance : "Hull Website Design".

Next you want to bid a reasonable amount for your keywords so that you come in the top 3. After a while you should be able to generate a great CTR history on your keywords because they will appeal to local searchers. Then you can lower your bids and still remain near the top.

Geo targeting doesn't directly move you closer to the top, google doesn't work like that. But by mentioning that you are local in the heading you normally generate an above average CTR (if of course locality is a selling point for your product). This above average CTR is what will allow you to rank higher for less.

T_Media, Jul 3, 2008 IP
  3. T_Media

T_Media Peon

Best Answers:
    Oh btw, fatherspirit. I notice you've been promoting your blog round here in your signature. I suggest you do a proper job of it, because at the moment it's damaging your reputation.

You're promoting affiliate products that are well known as scams here at digital point. I mean you're even promoting "getgoogleadsfree", have you not seen the thread on here! DP pretty much hates getgoogleadsfree. And then you have all those "paid survey" products, everyone knows that those products don't really live up to their promises.

You've been giving away some good tips for the newbies here at DP, but if you want to be truly respected round here, make sure that if you do decide to promote anything, that you only promote products that you have tried and tested yourself for at least a month. Make your blog into the number 1 spot where poeple can go and know that what they buy from you is going to work.... don't make it a place to ruin your reputation.

Regards...

T_Media, Jul 3, 2008 IP
    TomR likes this.
  4. Fatherspirit

Fatherspirit Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for your advice,
    D.

Fatherspirit, Jul 4, 2008 IP
  5. patzer

patzer Peon

Best Answers:
    Tired of being scammed..... get ready to be more sleepy!
    -Patz

patzer, Jul 4, 2008 IP
  6. Fatherspirit

Fatherspirit Peon

Best Answers:
    Do You care to explain what you mean by this?

Fatherspirit, Jul 5, 2008 IP