1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

The dollar

Discussion in 'General Business' started by cruisebar, Jul 2, 2008.

Just want any American guy or girl to answer my little question :)

For me who lives in the Nordic countries the Dollar have been decreasing with about 50% in 5 years. This results in a very cheap trade for me whenever I am about to pay in dollars. :D
    So, reverting to my question then: Have you who live in America seen a huge change in the prices during these 5 years?

I'm just curios, so if someone thinks I'm doing a dispute against the dollar you are WRONG :eek: ;)

Cheers!

cruisebar, Jul 2, 2008 IP
  2. Blitz

Blitz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I have no first hand experience, but basic economics tells me that anything they import will increase in price due to the weak dollar (whether it's a corporation importing 100,000 clothing items, or an eBayer purchasing an item from Europe). They will have an increase in exports though, everything from tourism and service industry to eBay ect, as it's now cheaper for exporters.

This really messes if you up if you make all your money in $ through websites, but live in Europe though.

Blitz, Jul 2, 2008 IP
  3. cruisebar

cruisebar Peon

Best Answers:
    ok thanks :) still want to know if the prices have been reaped during the last years for the Americans? interesting to know :p

4. cruisebar

cruisebar Peon

Best Answers:
    add: the prices of product within US.

5. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    I am in the U.S. and have been involved in some big ticket international sales. I believe that some of these sales happened more quickly (and, in fact, happened at all) because of the great exchange rate that is now in place. But this is something very hard to track.

As a U.S.-based network and PC cable distributor that imports many of its products, I have seen the cost of copper cables go up quite a bit from international sources, but I believe that is mostly because of the spiraling cost of copper, in general, versus the reduced buying power of the dollar, though that may have a slight effect on the price, too.

jrbiz, Jul 2, 2008 IP
  6. USaffiliate

USaffiliate Active Member

Best Answers:
    Question is will the dollar go up again?:confused:

USaffiliate, Jul 2, 2008 IP
  7. Crazyanz

Crazyanz Peon

Best Answers:
    hehe not for a long while my friend the world economy is not very good atm mainly because of America's economy

Crazyanz, Jul 2, 2008 IP
  8. ryan444123

ryan444123 Peon

Best Answers:
    America's economy downright sucks due to the fact that we have a horrible leader. ;)

ryan444123, Jul 2, 2008 IP
  9. cruisebar

cruisebar Peon

Best Answers:
    okey, haha. thanks for all the answers :]

10. Alex-Z

Alex-Z Peon

Best Answers:
    you mean, will it ever?

Alex-Z, Jul 2, 2008 IP
  11. tidusyuna

tidusyuna Banned

Best Answers:
    The low dollar will help cuz it will increase trade and then the value will go back up. It is all linked to one another and goes in cycle.

tidusyuna, Jul 2, 2008 IP
  12. Luke Beale

Luke Beale Peon

Best Answers:
    It would be good for it to go up.

Even a little.

Luke Beale, Jul 2, 2008 IP
  13. Nafai

Nafai Peon

Best Answers:
    It would take a miracle to save the dollar. We have a $9 trillion public debt and $400 billion annual federal deficit. The unfunded liabilities of our government (amount they owe over the next few decades for Social Security / Medicare / etc) is $43 trillion.

They saved the dollar when we were in a similar crisis in the 70s by bringing in Paul Volcker as chairmen of the Fed who raised interest rates north of 20%. That solution isn't workable today, because (1) it would bring the economy to a screeching halt because of how dependent it is today on credit liquidity, and (2) it would bankrupt the government as we pay interest on that almost $10 trillion debt, which is mainly 30-day Tbills owned by foreigners (used to be 30year bonds owned by Americans in the 70s).

Nafai, Jul 2, 2008 IP
  14. BusinessCoach

BusinessCoach Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    ok couple things

1) yes prices have definitely gone up...and its from all levels

groceries
    gas
    utilities
    clothing
    vehicles
    housing

just the cost of living in general

2) our CURRENT leader has NOTHING to do with our bad economy

Our bad economy is due to a LEADER IN THE PAST that took us from a MONEY system to a CURRENCY system

after the depression the only way they thought to get out, was to stop using "money" (which is backed by something of value - for us it was gold...we were on the "gold standard") and then decided to go onto the Federal Reserve ...basically and IOU that says "we are good for it"

the DOLLARS you have in your pocket is not MONEY, its CURRENCY so its value will fluctuate (unlike a gold or silver certificate which represents a specific asset)

so over the DECADES the dollar has gone down in value without many realizing it.

Their concept was they would be able to fix it before it got to this point of near worthlessness...but it didnt work out that way

add to the fact we are on CURRENCY and Not Money to the fact suddenly CREDIT was given over and beyond a persons net worth

we have created a "wealth bubble" as I like to call it.

we owe maybe 5 trillion to ourself
    and 3 trill to other countries

adjusting interest rates just shifts money around, and so it never solves the problem

round figures of course

recently i have been looking for more UK, European customers, because they now think I am cheap (at $150/hr USD)

BusinessCoach, Jul 2, 2008 IP
  15. nick-a

nick-a Active Member

Best Answers:
    I think we're in for a dollar crash at some point.

nick-a, Jul 2, 2008 IP
  16. BusinessCoach

BusinessCoach Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    not likely for as long as we are tied to OPEC

that changes then watch out!

BusinessCoach, Jul 2, 2008 IP
  17. bradrx7

bradrx7 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Its going to get a lot worse before it gets better. We're just at the beginning of the recession

bradrx7, Jul 2, 2008 IP
  18. cruisebar

cruisebar Peon

Best Answers:
    Tough, seems like there's gonna be a hard way for the dollar to fight its way back :[

19. Jordan D

Jordan D Peon

Best Answers:
    Short answer, yes. A number of items have increased in price.

Jordan D, Jul 2, 2008 IP
  20. Sohan

Sohan Peon

Best Answers:
    Well until the US brings back the fed under their control instead of making it private the Dollar is doomed. I mean how daft can you get making a central bank private, and then using their currency for your country. That means the fed can have building boats at heart rather than your well being etc. They don't care, they run the country because they make the money which powers it.

Sohan, Jul 2, 2008 IP