1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Can someone tell me exact procedure for wire transfer?Cust Care don't know anything

Discussion in 'Payment Processing' started by geekology, Jul 1, 2008.

Hi everyone,

My client wants to send money by wire transfer from US to India. I have an HDFC bank A/C here in Bangalore,India. I went to my HDFC branch in Bangalore and the executive explained me the whole procedure of wire transfer. He said that when someone wants to transfer money from US to India there is a correspondent bank that is involved in between. In every correspondent bank HDFC has an A/C. So the money would first be transferred to the HDFC bank A/c of that correspondent bank(in USD) and then from this A/C the money will be transferred to my HDFC A/C in Bangalore.(In Indian currency) [In case of HDFC here is the list of correspondent banks Please click on the 2nd link "List of SWIFT Codes and Nostro Account Numbers" to see the whole list]. Now he told I can use any of the banks in the list given above, I chose the 1st one- J P Morgan Chase Bank - so he asked me to send the following info to my client:

Correspondent Bank: JPMorgan Chase Bank, NEW YORK
    Correspondent Bank's Swift Code: CHASUS33
    Correspondent Account Number: 001-1-406717

Beneficiary Name: {My Name}
    Beneficiary Bank Name and Address: HDFC Bank No1, Kathriguppe Main Road, 3rd Phase, 3rd Stage, 4th Block, Opp. Food World, Banashankari, Bangalore-560085, Karnataka, India
    Beneficiary Bank Account No: {My A/C no.}

The explanation seemed fine enough. Hence I sent the whole info. to the client.

Now this morning, I received a mail from my client "Can you confirm HDFCINBBBNG is the bank ID for the branch you would like the wire sent to. I tried to wire today, but it rejected. I cannot complete the wire request without the Bank ID."

It seems the info that I sent was not complete hence he must have searched for my bank'd ID or swift code and he found out HDFCINBBBNG which as he say is incorrect.

Then I called the customer care, they told me that the swift code of HDFC Bank is required which is HDFCINBB and not what the executive in branch told me.[I was reading an earlier thread on DP where I found that swift code was city wise and for HDFC Bangalore it was indeed HDFCINBBBNG ]

Guys, I am just confused now, customer care guys are saying one thing, branch officials are saying something else. What info should I sent to my client, does anyone has any past experience of wire transfer from US to india.
    Can someone please guide me?

geekology, Jul 1, 2008 IP
    Mr_Kumar likes this.
  2. Mr_Kumar

Mr_Kumar Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    YES, "HDFCINBBBNG" will be your swift code. There may be some problem at client's end.

I am in noida and use swift code of delhi. It worked fine.

Mr_Kumar, Jul 1, 2008 IP
    geekology likes this.
  3. geekology

geekology Active Member

Best Answers:
    sorry for the wrong grammar in title... it should be "Cust Care doesn't know anything"

geekology, Jul 2, 2008 IP
  4. the rebel

the rebel Active Member

Best Answers:

lol easy man

the rebel, Jul 2, 2008 IP
  5. rajanurs

rajanurs Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    As I understand if the money is sent through a correspondent bank where HDFC has an account then your bank's Swift code is not required.

See the sample Remittance Form given in the HDFC link you posted. When HDFC bank's account in the intermediary bank is credited with the money then HDFC will resend to your account.

By the way bank branch in India is identified by the IFSC number. For your branch it is HDFC0000157

rajanurs, Jul 2, 2008 IP
    geekology likes this.
  6. geekology

geekology Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks rajanurs. Now I am going to send ALL information I have gathered IFSC/ bank id /bank code... what ever his bank require, they can choose...

will keep you people updated

geekology, Jul 2, 2008 IP
  7. TheCooldude

TheCooldude Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Hi geekology,

Which code worked for your transaction, if it went through successfully? HDFCINBBBNG or HDFCINBB

I believe i'm in the same situation now.... many websites say the SWIFT code for HDFC hyderabad is HDFCINBBHYD and the HDFC employee says its actually HDFCINBB

TheCooldude, Aug 20, 2010 IP