1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Building links on unrelated, authority sites

Discussion in 'Link Development' started by pholpher, Jul 1, 2008.

Building links on related sites is a good link building practice. But would you pass up a link on an unrelated, authority site?

For example, let's say you have a site about personal finance.

• Would you pass up a link on a history professor's PR6 blog that has excellent .edu backlinks?
    • What about a link on Gadling, a premier travel blog?
    First, why would you want to get links on unrelated, authority sites? Aren't related sites enough?

A Reason to Target Unrelated Niches

If you've taken the time to do the proper marketing in your niche, you may have contacted every webmaster with a quality site in your niche. You've figured out the sites who will link to you, the ones who will do link exchanges, and the ones who are stingy with their links.

After some time especially in small niches, there may be no more webmasters to contact. This is where you can expand your horizons and start targeting unrelated sites.

Now when I say "unrelated", I don't mean that you'll be targeting totally unrelated sites. For example, a mixed martial arts blog will probably never target a site about horses lol. But for other more closely related topics, the trick is to find a way to relate your site to those topics.

Example

Let's go back to your make-believe personal finance site.

You could do some research on how the ancient Greeks did personal banking. Next, gather your research and create a piece of content filled with pictures. Then, simply email a bunch of history bloggers and wait for the links to start coming in :)

What about tying personal finance to travel? That shouldn't be to hard. Here's a title to get you started: "25 Creative Ways to Save Money for your Next Summer Vacation". Point the article to a couple travel webmasters and watch your rankings and traffic go up as they link to you :)

Practical Exercise

If you want, reply with your website URL and I'll try to come up with content ideas that can attract links from seemingly unrelated niches. Also, feel free to add your own content ideas to the posted URLs.

pholpher, Jul 1, 2008 IP
    MoneyMoose likes this.
  2. MoneyMoose

MoneyMoose Peon

Best Answers:
    That's actually a really cool idea.

Since no one else has taken you up on the offer and I like free analysis, try Blog Badly on for size =D

MoneyMoose, Jul 5, 2008 IP
  3. zexy

zexy Guest

Best Answers:
    Have a sit, it will takes a while... :D

The travel - finance idea is better.

zexy, Jul 5, 2008 IP
  4. lightlysalted

lightlysalted Active Member

Best Answers:
    never pass up a free backlink, providing it's not spammy

lightlysalted, Jul 6, 2008 IP
  5. tdd1984

tdd1984 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You can just be careful, try to get more related links. I would say the best links to get are from blogs. Because bloggers blog about everything, but you have to be careful getting links from extremely irrelevant websites which granted you'll probably be fine just don't get too carried away with it.

tdd1984, Jul 6, 2008 IP
  6. rcj662

rcj662 Guest

Best Answers:
    Since your making article about or related to topic it sounds interesting. It will help that article with the link and in the end might help the page you linked to in the article.

rcj662, Jul 6, 2008 IP
  7. pholpher

pholpher Active Member

Best Answers:
    I love you blog haikus. Pretty cool stuff :) Tag them with the same tag and then market the haiku tag page to poetry blogs and even haiku blogs.

To attract links from the entertainment niche, you could write something like:

15 Celebrities That Blog Well (aka Can Actually Write)

To hit the general business niche, you could do something like:

10 Corporate Blogs That Are Actually Interesting

pholpher, Jul 6, 2008 IP
  8. MoneyMoose

MoneyMoose Peon

Best Answers:
    Glad you liked my blog, man! I actually never thought about marketing my haikus that way even though they were sitting right in front of my face. I think I'll start submitting them to a few poetry blog carnivals and build some extra links.

Brilliant suggestions.

MoneyMoose, Jul 6, 2008 IP
  9. pholpher

pholpher Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks and good luck with marketing in the poetry niche!

pholpher, Jul 6, 2008 IP