1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

POST 300 - Anonymous Abuse of the Reputation System - Goodbye for Now

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by ! !, Jan 14, 2005.

There has to be some accountability - anyone can go beserk with these reputation reports
    Look at these threads - no one in their right mind would just abuse the reports just for the hell of it

There is no reason to allow this freeform anonymous abuse to go on.

You will probably just lose members and contributers if there are no attempts are made to stop anonymous random abuse

Latest Reputation Received
    Thread Date Comment

! !, Jan 14, 2005 IP
    schlottke, Arnica, hooter and 9 others like this.
  2. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    You start good threads but have a reputation of just starting threads then moving on to start another one and some folks do not like your style.

I have never left any rep. on you one way or another.

Maybe they do not like your user name and the number of threads you start without follow up :confused:

anthonycea, Jan 14, 2005 IP
  3. fryman

fryman Kiss my rep

Best Answers:
    Well... this is a SEO forum, so I don't understand why you post things like "How Do U Deal with Rude People?", that would be ok maybe on a teen forum...

I haven't left a rep for you either, but it does piss me off to come here looking for valuable information to help me with my sites and finding nonsense like that posted...

fryman, Jan 14, 2005 IP
    yfs1 likes this.
  4. SEbasic

SEbasic Peon

Best Answers:
    I gotta say, I'm amazed that you have received al that REP...

I find 90% of your posts really interesting, and more to the point - informative.

I've been getting a couple of neg rep points too recently, for posts that I thought were quite good...

Anyhow, don't go man - It's just getting interesting ;)

Cheers

Oliver

SEbasic, Jan 15, 2005 IP
  5. CHERRY

CHERRY Peon

Best Answers:
    dont worry about it, people around here try to hard 2 act intelligent and get annoyed when anyone trys 2 have some fun, i dont see what the problem is as long as you keep it in general chat, remember its there choice 2 go in2 general chat and read posts... 2 then go 2 the trouble of addin a bitchy comment is childish and sad. keep the chin up x

CHERRY, Jan 15, 2005 IP
    schlottke and roadies like this.
  6. ViciousSummer

ViciousSummer Ayn Rand for President! Staff

Best Answers:
    Honestly, too many people get bent out of shape about it (reputation). There will be just as many clowns giving silly fb as there are spammers trying to litter posts with links. Don't take it personally? That's really the only advice I can give :) !

ViciousSummer, Jan 15, 2005 IP
  7. CHERRY

CHERRY Peon

Best Answers:
    yeah ur are right but it is hard 2 not take it personal when the comment is aimed at you........ ps: (ur site is cool x)

CHERRY, Jan 15, 2005 IP
  8. pwaring

pwaring Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It's for reasons like this why I never enable any "reputation" feature on the forums I admin. I can remember when one big site that I used to visit implemented it a couple of years ago and from there on there was no end of "someone has given me negative points, please change the system" posts. People abuse such systems to give out negative points to people they don't like or who disagree with them in a thread. It's silly and childish, but as a board administrator I find it's easier to just disable the whole thing rather than deal with it. :)

pwaring, Jan 15, 2005 IP
  9. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    Yes it does discourage some folks from telling it like it is to please others, that is what is bad about it, but it does not change my posts. Threads tend to lose their edge when folks are afraid to comment while thinking about how the comment could affect their reputation, it is sort of a automated censoring device in my opinion.

Really I could not care less about it, if anyone is hurt it is the forum itself as they lose valuable referrals that could be gained. In addition it hurts the members and the value of the threads as live links are taken down and members are inconvenienced in having to cut and paste.

What is really bad is when members PM other members and have them all vote bad reputation all at once.

anthonycea, Jan 15, 2005 IP
    GuyFromChicago likes this.
  10. Angelx

Angelx Guest

Best Answers:
    That is like forum Rape.

who would do such a thing?

Angelx, Jan 15, 2005 IP
  11. pwaring

pwaring Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Sad immature people with no life usually. I've seen "reputation alliances" spring up several times on another forum, with people giving each other positive reputation to increase their perceived status and hammering other people they don't like with negative reputation. Multiple accounts run by the same person using a circle of reputation assignment also happens as well.

Personally, I don't see the point in reputation systems, after a while on a forum I know who gives good answers and who posts rubbish - I don't need some green/grey/red blobs to tell me.

pwaring, Jan 15, 2005 IP
  12. Angelx

Angelx Guest

Best Answers:
    I agree fully. I think it is a ridiculous system. It makes me feel like im back at school again with all those popularity wars.

Angelx, Jan 15, 2005 IP
  13. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    It has happend to me on at least 4 or 5 forums, even moderators ganging up to "protect the community" :p :p :p

14. Angelx

Angelx Guest

Best Answers:
    yeh i see that u have a big red box. u must feel honoured surrounded by all these borin greens, mister

Angelx, Jan 15, 2005 IP
  15. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    Long story, a lot of the same members here are/were from SEOchat and I had a problem with some members over there that had their heads in the Google sand and that transferred over here when I got here.

16. Angelx

Angelx Guest

Best Answers:
    Thats not very nice or mature. goodness dont people have better things to do with their time now a days.

Angelx, Jan 15, 2005 IP
  17. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    Not really, the Google wars are always going on :p

18. Angelx

Angelx Guest

Best Answers:
    how would one go about joining in with one of these wars? 0:)

Angelx, Jan 15, 2005 IP
  19. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    Read the Google forums, by the way most of these folks are my friends now, the past is the past :)

candysmith likes this.
  20. Angelx

Angelx Guest

Best Answers:
    oke glad to hear it. i will round up all my internet frendz and tell them 2 all rate u good stuff har only jokin. altho tha wud not be a bad idea. i have alot of connections, no wot i mean

Angelx, Jan 15, 2005 IP