1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

SCAM Your Heart Out On Adwords And Get A Traffic Rush!!!

Discussion in 'Google AdWords' started by Fatherspirit, Jun 30, 2008.

It's not what you might be thinking - nothing dodgy here.
    I am suggesting that you use the word 'Scam' in your ad title and adcopy as well as keywords. Something about the word attracts attention and polarizes people! I once started an ad with 'Serial Scammer Killer' and just for a lark advertised under the search "Famous Serial Killers". Very off-topic and unrelated I know but I was inundated with responses. My ad was high up the page and it stood out like a sore thumb as I wasn't selling the usual 'Cold Case files' or 'Ted Bundy DVD'. It worked a treat!

So try a 'scam' or two and see how you fare!
    Regards,
    Dave.

Fatherspirit, Jun 30, 2008 IP
    lightless likes this.
  2. T_Media

T_Media Peon

Best Answers:
    A high CTR perhaps, but your landing page copy needs to back up your advert otherwise people will be like "hey, why am I at a page selling the same product that the ad just said was a scam"

T_Media, Jun 30, 2008 IP
  3. digi1

digi1 Peon

Best Answers:
    What CTR you had ?

digi1, Jun 30, 2008 IP
  4. Fatherspirit

Fatherspirit Peon

Best Answers:
    The ad was pretty self-explanatory and information rich! I think that was one reason why it did work because I was very transparent in my adcopy and didn't mislead. Hell, I was already in no-man's land and didn't want to push my luck!
    The results were good because I didn't play games in the ad content! I guess the novelty factor of being a one off paid dividends but I wouldn't recommend that one does it all the time!

Thanks for your comment!
    Dave.

5. patzer

patzer Peon

Best Answers:
    Unless its a very cheap traffic rush that might not be a good thing. I don;t want traffic coming into my site that I have to pay for thats been lured in by the title. You will have a lower ecpc. How was your next traffic for conversion? Thanks.
    -Patz

patzer, Jun 30, 2008 IP
  6. moneylizard

moneylizard Peon

Best Answers:
    I like the idea... I disagree with other posters in the idea that it will target visitors that don't want to see what your landing page has to offer. I think using it correctly can work to your advantage... good tip.

moneylizard, Jun 30, 2008 IP
  7. Fatherspirit

Fatherspirit Peon

Best Answers:
    The conversion rate was about 10% which I thought was acceptable considering my average CPC was down at $0.23. The title was balanced out by level-headed adcopy and I did consider that some may impulse click without reading the whole ad but the profit margin was good enough to not trouble me!
    This was a one off experiment that I had never done before and I kept a very close eye on the stats!

A bit of lateral marketing can work sometimes and I'm not advocating that people rush out and set up similar campaigns.

Thanks for your comment!
    Dave.

8. abcyesn

abcyesn Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    if your page isn't about scam, ppl just leave, basically you paying for nothing

abcyesn, Jul 1, 2008 IP
  9. lightless

lightless Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Sex works just as fine, maybe better. :D

Nice to see that you used a innovative method instead of going with the crowd.

lightless, Jul 1, 2008 IP
    guerilla likes this.
  10. tonyran

tonyran Peon

Best Answers:
    thats marketing for you, just like the old ice cream ads that shaped like nukkid woman

tonyran, Jul 1, 2008 IP
  11. Fatherspirit

Fatherspirit Peon

Best Answers:
    Fatherspirit, Jul 1, 2008 IP
  12. chini

chini Banned

Best Answers:
    this would mean high ctr but low conversions

chini, Jul 2, 2008 IP
  13. Fatherspirit

Fatherspirit Peon

Best Answers:
    No, this didn't happen. The ad was transparent in it's copy and I recognized that some might impulse click on the title alone but wasn't obsessed with this fact as I was merely experimenting. My bid price was set fairly low just in case. The results were quite good and I saw this campaign as a complete one-off affair! It's true that some might get annoyed if the ad's creative doesn't reflect the language of the destination page but my particular ad was pretty faithful to this point.

Sometimes following the 'tried and tested' methods becomes oh so tedious so I wanted to change things up a bit. Please don't think that I am advocating this type of ad writing as being the next big thing, the 'secret' you just had to know about! I was just being a little lateral in my creative ideas and decided even if my CTR showed poor conversions I wouldn't be losing out too much as I was basically just friggin' around! . It can be fun....

D.

Fatherspirit, Jul 3, 2008 IP