1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Tax ID for Blog

Discussion in 'General Business' started by affiliatemarket5000, Jun 28, 2008.

Hello,

I am hesitant to give out my SSN online and wanted to apply for a Tax ID instead.

I don't have a business, only a blog. Does anyone have any advice on obtaining a Tax ID?

Thanks

affiliatemarket5000, Jun 28, 2008 IP
  2. shermancox

shermancox Peon

Best Answers:
    go get a business license...and then you simply apply for a taxid from the US federral government

shermancox, Jun 28, 2008 IP
  3. affiliatemarket5000

affiliatemarket5000 Guest

Best Answers:
    Hello,

Thanks for the reply. I'm looking for an easy way to protect my SSN. I've heard that you can apply for an EIN at the government website as a substitute for a SSN.

Has anyone ever applied for an EIN without a company name or a business license?

Thanks,
    Jack

4. bigidea_guy

bigidea_guy Banned

Best Answers:
    what do you need your ssn for? Is it for adsense?

I believe AdBrite does not ask for it and is a good alternative :D

bigidea_guy, Jun 28, 2008 IP
  5. affiliatemarket5000

Best Answers:
    Hello,

I want to keep my SSN separate from the revenue earned from google adsense and other affiliates. The government website can provide an EIN immediately online. Then when google or an affiliate network asks for my SSN, I can provide my EIN instead. With all the identity theft in the world, this is probably the safest and most conservative approach.

Any ideas?

Jack

6. BusinessCoach

BusinessCoach Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    get incorporated, probably less than 200 in your state

then look up form ss-4 on IRS.gov

get your tax id immediately

it will help you tax time also from your earnings from your blog

BusinessCoach, Jun 29, 2008 IP
  7. shermancox

shermancox Peon

Best Answers:
    I understand your concern about giving out your SSN everywhere, but I am not sure if you can get a EIN without a business. But you can as somoene else suggested incorporate. I am about to do that for a little over 100 bucks in my state.

Or you can simply get a business license. In my jurisdiction it was about 50 bucks for the first year.

Then simply get a EIN...you can get them almost immediately over the web as you stated, but I think you have to be a business which requires a DBA (doing business as) which requires that you be at least a business...

shermancox, Jun 29, 2008 IP
  8. Bryce

Bryce Peon

Best Answers:
    No, you can't apply for an EIN without a business, however, you do not need to be incorporated to claim your blog is a business. Here's a resource that is good reading :

http://mycorporation.intuit.com/business-formations/ein.jsp

but, don't use their $69 filing service because your EIN can be applied for here :

http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/article/0,,id=98350,00.html

I would recommend that if you are making money through your blog that you file for an LLC (Limited Liability Corporation) because it separates your personal equity from the website or businesses. Additionally, if you have an LLC, you will be able to deduct certain expenses such as hosting, advertising, possibly laptops or computers, etc.

Bryce, Jun 29, 2008 IP
  9. BusinessCoach

Best Answers:
    actually there are several reasons the IRS will issue an EIN without a corporation (see form SS-4) as I said.

But they do check, and usually it's not worth it to try without getting a corporation

stay away from 3rd parties that charge a lot...

most cases you can do it online yourself for just the state filing fee.

also check these guys out

www.AmeriLawyer.com see if your state is one they do...they charge $30 on top of the state filing fee...i have used them since 1992 for 100s of corporations for myself and clients

also don't pay for the EIN from them or anyone....its a one page form you can do in 5 minutes online at www.irs.gov

lastly do not jump into an LLC... a Subchapter S or C may actually work better for your circumstance, check with an attorney or cpa and talk about your plans for the year....will save you money in the end

10. dustin0

dustin0 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Im assuming the OP is under 18 as giving out your SSN is nothing big since companies who collect a SSN have a security cert.

and Adbrite does ask for a SSN

dustin0, Jun 29, 2008 IP
  11. affiliatemarket5000

Best Answers:
    Hello,

Thanks for the information. I applied for an EIN online as a Sole Proprietor under my name on the IRS website. I was not required to give a company name or a business license. It took about 5 minutes and I had to provide my SSN online.

I was asked why I was applying, I said "Starting a New Business".
    They asked what type of business, I said "Publisher".

Can I sign up for adsense with my EIN now or do I need to obtain a business license first?

Thanks,
    Jack

affiliatemarket5000, Jun 29, 2008 IP
  12. BusinessCoach

Best Answers:
    no go ahead and sign up for adsense and anything else

just know as a sole proprietor YOU and the BUSINESS are one and the same!

you share credit (instead of separate)

and you share liability (instead of separate)

meaning something gets a judgement against you, it goes against the biz...and vice versa

13. Bryce

Bryce Peon

Best Answers:
    The IRS website to sign up for a TIN has been down all day today and it's only open M-F... Quit bumping your thread. You have your information now move on ... :-( :-(

Bryce, Jun 29, 2008 IP
    affiliatemarket5000 likes this.
  14. affiliatemarket5000

Best Answers:
    Hello,

Thanks for the information. I think for now I'll take the risk as a sole proprietor since it is only a blog. Besides I probably won't make more than $25 a month on my blog, so the costs incurred to incorporate or form an LLC wouldn't be worth it, right?

However, in the future I can change to an LLC or incorporate if I start making real money.

Thanks,
    Jack

affiliatemarket5000, Jun 29, 2008 IP
  15. BusinessCoach

Best Answers:

$25 per month = $300

lets say for the sake of argument, you are paying around 25% in taxes (and you make less than 60k a year)

25% of 300 =$75

however if you incorporated...in addition to new lines of credit, retirement plan setups, ability to get investors.....you COULD POTENTIALLY save even more on your taxes by combining personal income against corporate liability

domain name
    hosting
    web design
    ebooks (training and marketing materials)
    as well as portions of your rent/mortgage and car

are all potential deductions in additon to any other legitamate expense.

You would save the $75 as well as potentially 1000s more than you ever could as an individual

worth it? you tell me.

16. BusinessCoach

Best Answers:
    I find it funny someone gave me negative rep for giving "bad advice" (which cost them rep too - lol :p)

to bad they are not brave enough to

1) identify themselves
    2) point out ONE piece of bad advice I have given in this thread

actually the only incorrect advice given in this thread seems to be from bryce, who said you can't get an EIN without being a business and also recommended LLC without mentioning other options or potential drawbacks

some people just have too much time on their hands, and spend it locked behind a computer:rolleyes:

J_Mart likes this.
  17. Bryce

Bryce Peon

Best Answers:
    I didn't give you any rep, and your last statement about having too much time seems to apply to you because you've been a veritable fountain of misinformation on this thread.

..and FYI, here's the "official" information on an EIN from the IRS website :

From : http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/article/0,,id=98350,00.html

So I guess the IRS is wrong and you're right :rolleyes:

Bryce, Jun 30, 2008 IP
  18. BusinessCoach

Best Answers:
    your good at "skimming"

and even at google it seems

but you didn't read my post.

where did i say YOU left me rep???? Please copy and paste...

I didn't say that, did I...that's a false statement you made.

But thats what happens when you only read a little about something you are in fact, clueless about.

Sure it SOUNDS good when you post it on the internet, but only to people who don't know any better.

Ok so you pasted a PIECE of information that backs up what you said.

But thats only a little blurb.

WHAT ABOUT THE REST OF THE STORY FROM THE IRS WEBSITE???

Remember I said I have been DIRECTLY involved with hundreds of corporations? 2 decades of business coaching will do that... all needed eins

How many forms have you helped to fill out?

I remember back in the late 80s early 90s (were you even born) when you had to MAIL THE FORM! (even after getting instantly by phone)

At any rate, while you may have read a wikipedia article...i am VERY FAMILIAR with the forms

so here is a screenshot

[​IMG]

that comes directly off of form SS-4 I mentioned earlier.

You can see it yourself here: http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fss4.pdf?portlet=3

You know the actual form people fill out to GET the number?

notice the ones I highligted

1) if you were to hire a live in maid or butler - no business...just employees making you an "employer"
    2) You are allowed to use specifically for banking purposes (which could be one of the reasons this poster is using it for)
    3) if you create a trust for any number of reasons for your family and assets...again, not a business
    4) if you have to administer an estate, it doesnt have to be yours, but it is where the money is tied to, rather than you personally

there are in fact several other ways you can get a TIN not listed on that sheet, but I think that is enough proof for now...right?

SO to answer your question.

NO, I am not right, and the IRS wrong.

IN REALITY that means:

1) the IRS is right

2) I was/am also right

3) and you...well....it's obvious STILL isn't it?

I won't get into to it but EINs (employer identification number) is just really a specific form of TIN (Taxpayer Identification Number). Your SSN (social Security Number) is also a TIN

TINs have the express purpose of tracking money for the government of the United States so they may TAX IT!

TINs represent ENTITIES, usually people but they may be a corporation, trust etc. and are legally considered separate "taxpayers"

Pick your battles instead of picking your nose next time.

BusinessCoach, Jun 30, 2008 IP
    affiliatemarket5000 likes this.
  19. jmcallister

jmcallister Peon

Best Answers:
    If your not selling something over 3000$ per year you will not need a tax id.

jmcallister, Jun 30, 2008 IP
  20. flaco

flaco Peon

Best Answers:
    You always need a tax ID if conducting business. A w-2 is not issued by a single company you work for if you make less than $600.

flaco, Jun 30, 2008 IP