1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

My submission to DMOZ

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by TruckTechniques, Apr 20, 2006.

1. max pain

max pain Notable Member

Best Answers:
    DOgbows or brizzie whoever can help with this. Plz take a look at www.lanceboard.com I had submitted it to Computers: Companies: Software Development: Freelance can you plz explain why it aint still listed on DMOZ
    I had included it in my second application to the same category :) Its the only website that didnt get listed the others I had proposed have been listed along with the same titles/description that I suggested.

max pain, Apr 23, 2006 IP
  2. lmocr

lmocr Peon

Best Answers:
    Max-Pain when you made your application, did you also suggest the same sites to the category you applied to?

lmocr, Apr 23, 2006 IP
  3. max pain

max pain Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I suggested the most appropriate one - all related to freelance.
    I am just curious why Lanceboard.com wasnt listed? Does it fall short of any criteria (which the editors follow and we dont have any idea about)?

4. lmocr

lmocr Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm operating under an assumption here - because I can't review applications. So - if you applied for a category and suggested the same sites to the category and one or more of those sites were listed before your application was reviewed, then your application would be denied because the sites in your application were already listed.

In your next application - don't suggest the sites that you find - otherwise they might be listed before your application is reviewed, leading to another rejection.

As for Lanceboard.com - if you believe that the site fits in that category, there wouldn't be any harm in suggesting it one more time.

lmocr, Apr 23, 2006 IP
  5. max pain

max pain Notable Member

Best Answers:
    ok.. I will try resubmitting it.
    And the websites that I suggested werent already listed - they were listed after I recieved the mail saying I should choose a smaller category (with fewer than 50 entries).

6. dogbows

dogbows Active Member

Best Answers:
    Max, I am not familiar with the Computer branch enough to offer any help here, but lmocr brings up a good point. If you had already suggested the URLs before you applied, then there is a good chance that they were listed by an editor with permissions to edit there but would have no idea you had also used them for an editor application.

dogbows, Apr 23, 2006 IP
  7. dogbows

dogbows Active Member

Best Answers:
    The point, that even though they may not have been listed when you sent in the application, is that they could have been listed before the application was reviewed if you had suggested them prior to sending in the application. And the two actions most likely were by two different editors. I think it is important to mention here that when editors list sites, it can take as long as a week before they are seen by the public, but editors can see they are listed instantly.

dogbows, Apr 23, 2006 IP
  8. max pain

max pain Notable Member

Best Answers:
    what I am trying to say here dogbows is that the sites which were listed had the same Titles/Descriptions which I had suggested in my application. So should I call this coincidence?

9. dogbows

dogbows Active Member

Best Answers:
    But my question is did you at any point before you got the rejection letter also suggest these sites via the suggest url link in this category. If you did, then they very well could have been listed before the application was reviewed and if you did provide guidelines compliant titles and descriptions when suggesting them then your titles and descriptions obviously were used. I am not saying that this is what happened, only that it is one possibility that could have happened.

dogbows, Apr 23, 2006 IP
  10. max pain

max pain Notable Member

Best Answers:
    nope I did not suggest those sites dogbows. If I had I wouldnt have listed them in my application as the 3 example urls

11. dogbows

dogbows Active Member

Best Answers:
    Next question: Although the freelance subcat does not offer a category description, the parent category does. I'm sorry I cannot yet post a live link, but did you read the category description here to see if anything tells you that it is not the right category for your site?

http://www.dmoz.org/Computers/Companies/Software_Development/desc.html

dogbows, Apr 23, 2006 IP
    macdesign likes this.
  12. pagode

pagode Guest

Best Answers:
    Only 1 site has been listed in that category during 2005 and it has been moved there from another category in which it was listed in 2000.
    Are you sure the category was http://dmoz.org/Computers/Companies/Software_Development/Freelance/

pagode, Apr 23, 2006 IP
  13. gboisseau

gboisseau Peon

Best Answers:
    I guess I am confused.
    Just because a listing was submitted with an application does not mean that it automatically gets included in the directory. Your website has been submitted on more then one occasion (excluding the one with your application).

gboisseau, Apr 23, 2006 IP
    macdesign likes this.
  14. max pain

max pain Notable Member

Best Answers:
    So gboisseau whats the status - of the site? Why isnt it listed thats the question .. doesnt it fit the category? If no then which category is best suited for it?

15. brizzie

brizzie Peon

Best Answers:
    Usually the reason a site hasn't been listed is that no-one has yet got around to reviewing it. And if it hasn't been reviewed then a decision on the category will not have been made. If a site has been submitted multiple times to different categories then the surplus submissions may have been removed, leaving one, but that doesn't mean anyone has actually checked the site to see which one was in the right category - as you can imagine, if that was a method of getting an editor to do a review everyone would try it.

brizzie, Apr 24, 2006 IP
  16. brizzie

brizzie Peon

Best Answers:
    I tried a couple of times to open the site and got "The page you are looking for is currently unavailable". If I were reviewing a site and got that message it would probably be on its way to the trash can. If you were ultra lucky I might leave it for another day in case it was only temporarily available. But my next visit to the category might be a year or more away.

brizzie, Apr 24, 2006 IP
  17. max pain

max pain Notable Member

Best Answers:
    :confused: I havent recvd any such complaint from any one as yet.
    And if the DMOZ is so short of editor-staff they can actually have a "Dmoz is hiring" instead of "Volunteer for this category" sign ;)

One thing that has always grabbed my curiosity is who is the topmost personality in DMOZ ?

max pain, Apr 24, 2006 IP
  18. brizzie

brizzie Peon

Best Answers:
    Works now. But as I said a review is often a one time only chance - if the site doesn't work when an editor is due to review it then you missed that chance.

Doesn't work that way ;)

Admins. http://www.dmoz.org/guidelines/admin/

brizzie, Apr 24, 2006 IP
  19. TruckTechniques

TruckTechniques Peon

Best Answers:
    I just noticed today My site is listed in DMOZ - thanks for the help!

TruckTechniques, May 1, 2006 IP
  20. Enigma

Enigma Peon

Best Answers:
    Congrats! I guess these forums are good for something. :D

Enigma, May 1, 2006 IP