1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Pages Instead of Categories?

Discussion in 'WordPress' started by mixke, Jun 28, 2008.

I was wondering whether it's possible to do this wordpress or not -

Install the wordpress > create pages instead of categories > on each page, you can create catgories relevant to it which are shown only when you're browsing this page !!

Example -
    Say you want to have cell phones as a topic on your blog and so, create a page for it then on that page you've samsung, nokia as categories...........possible?

mixke, Jun 28, 2008 IP
  2. hmansfield

hmansfield Guest

Best Answers:
    You could do it that way if you want, if you do not intend to update, or add any information.
    I suppose you could just keep creating sub pages too, but , that is what categories, and sub categories are for.

Generally most bloggers prefer to have static information on pages, like About, Contact Forms, Embedded astores, etc. Things that will not be changed or added to frequently.

Also, most new themes, particularly premium themes, rely heavily on using the categories for that. If you find yourself in the future changing themes, and you have not properly set up your categories, it will be a real night mare going back, and changing pages into posts, and categorizing them properly so that the theme works correctly.

As far as I know, you cannot categorize pages, like posts.

I don't think there is any SEO benefit in creating pages instead of posts.

Why would you want to do it that way ? Seems like more work for no benefit.
    Just curious.

hmansfield, Jun 28, 2008 IP
  3. QiSoftware

QiSoftware Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I think the database schema would have to be updated [new table added] and the problem would be the many updates WordPress issues. I have modifie the database for one of my WordPress blogs -- Q's Wire... however I have to make sure I do not clobber the code accessing the new table. It is a pain in the neck each time a major upgrade is released.

Q...

QiSoftware, Jun 28, 2008 IP
    mixke likes this.
  4. godsofchaos

godsofchaos Peon

Best Answers:
    Pages are static and blogs are meant to be dynamic in nature, always updated via comments and tags and categories and what not. Can pages be done as categories, surely it can be done. you need to call in the pages function in categories php but like QiSoft already mentioned, you will have a hard time maintaining it. And categories are like pages themselves anyway, so why bother.

godsofchaos, Jun 28, 2008 IP
    mixke likes this.
  5. mixke

mixke Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Maybe I wasn't very clear......I want to have a page for the category and all the posts under this category are displayed on this <this is the way posts appear in WP>. Now, what I want is to have a separate 'resource' or 'blogroll' thing in the sidebar for this particular category instead of the having the 'blogroll' that appears on my homepage. Basically, a separate 'blogroll' for each category.

Let me know if I'm still not very clear and I'll try to explain myself more clearly :eek: :eek:

mixke, Jun 28, 2008 IP
  6. hmansfield

hmansfield Guest

Best Answers:
    That option is already in Wordpress. There is a category widget that functions the same way.
    There are also a few different plug ins that give you control over category, and display options, from drop down menus to clouds.
    Here is one from one of the forum members MaxRef Widgets by Webfadds.com

Using categories is the most convenient way to go, and it will ensure that your themes function properly without having to edit a bunch of code, just to do something that wordpress does naturally.

mixke likes this.
  7. mixke

mixke Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Okay cool! Thanks for the link. If you're using a plugin for this purpose then let me know the name please.

mixke, Jun 28, 2008 IP
  8. hmansfield

hmansfield Guest

Best Answers:
    I am using that plug in on my The Mansfield Herald Blog to show certain categories only ,on the side bar, titled "E-Books".