1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Feedback on my personal blog

Discussion in 'Websites' started by tmeyer45458, Jun 27, 2008.

My poor blog has had no less than a dozen faces over the past few years and I think I've finally landed on something I like.

Truth be told, it's a bit of a Frankenstein. I purchased a theme here a few months ago and slowly whittled away at it until I was happy. Funny thing is the only part of the design that was part of the original purchased theme is the background:)

What's worse...there's very little content. That will start to change.

Oh...it's a complete wreck in IE6. Fixing that is on my long to-do list...conditional stylesheets to the rescue;)

Thanks for the feedback!

tmeyer45458, Jun 27, 2008 IP
  2. nullvariable

nullvariable Peon

Best Answers:
    very nice and cohesive! :D loads fast and looks great for me in IE7, FF3 and Opera.
    • consider using a light opacity change behind the main blocks of text. It can be a little hard to follow the posts sometimes.
    • use meta tags! your keywords and descriptions are "YOUR KEYWORDS HERE" instead of something useful
    • make sure your CSS validates, this can clear up errors with some browsers
    • Same with XHTML
    • you're missing a couple of images (probably just need to remove them from the CSS file):
    • consider reducing the number of objects on the page and/or the size. currently the home page would take a dialup user on a 56k modem 124 seconds :eek: to load. While dialup users are usually a little more patient, 8 seconds is still generally how long you have before they lose interest and move on. (good to see that you have gzip on, this helps!) also you might just offer a text only version of the site for those on slower PCs
    • consider offering the user a more helpful 404 page (and other errors aswell) currently it states: "This is a 404 page"

nullvariable, Jun 27, 2008 IP
    tmeyer45458 likes this.
  3. tmeyer45458

tmeyer45458 Peon

Best Answers:
    Nice...thanks! Very thorough.

Your first bullet addressed by biggest concern and the reason I posted. Problem is adding a light opacity change to the background of the posts makes the layout look..."blocky". If that makes sense...

Anywho...thanks for the comments!:D

tmeyer45458, Jun 28, 2008 IP
    nullvariable likes this.
  4. nullvariable

nullvariable Peon

Best Answers:
    you can use jquery or many of the different javascript libraries out there to create a rounded look. you could also use transparent images with rounded corners if you wanted to get a web 2.0 rounded look.

nullvariable, Jun 29, 2008 IP