1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Need Help - Host Stolen Domain?

Discussion in 'Domain Names' started by Blitz, Jun 27, 2008.

I purchased a domain from a small host several years ago. It expires in 10 days or so, and I'm unable to renew it because the hosts Paypal account isn't accepting payments (I think it's been limited or suspended), and this is the only payment method offered. He's not responding to any emails or form of contact, the address for the host (in Kent, UK) is shut down. So I'm unable to transfer or renew it because he's not accepting Paypal payments - what should I do?

Blitz, Jun 27, 2008 IP
  2. Christopher

Christopher Peon

Best Answers:
    He's selling it through a registrar, do you know which? Perhaps you can contact them for help.

Who's listed as the Registrar on your whois?

Chris

Christopher, Jun 27, 2008 IP
  3. Blitz

Blitz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Blitz, Jun 27, 2008 IP
  4. ryandanielt

ryandanielt Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You can try them for starters but I don't think that they will be able to do much. I have had this same problem 2 years ago and there was nothing I could do about it either.

Maybe if you talked to DirectI and explained the situation to them then they might be able to talk to there reseller "PUBLICDOMAINREGISTRY.COM" and find out what can be done!

If the host has been abandoned then it might work.

What hosting company was it?

ryandanielt, Jun 27, 2008 IP
  5. Blitz

Blitz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    ASMHosting.com - I used them for 3-4 years and never had a problem, but now their website is down, and after a google search, it seems they've screwed everyone over and run off with the money. I've never used their hosting services, I just need my domain out because it's worth a lot to me.

I've contacted Public Domain Registry, fingers crossed they'll answer my support ticket and hopefully assist me in renewing it.

Blitz, Jun 27, 2008 IP
  6. ryandanielt

ryandanielt Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Well for starters the one thing to give this company away for being a scam is that all of there contact information on the domain name is hidden.

This just shows that there is something to hide.

Well I wish you the best of luck getting your domain name back. If this doesn't work PM me and let me know and I be able to help you track the registrar's email for you to try to get him to give it up.

ryandanielt, Jun 27, 2008 IP
    Blitz likes this.
  7. Christopher

Christopher Peon

Best Answers:
    Yep, that's directi.

They have an 800 number posted on their reseller website, I'll pm that to you if you want to give it a try.

Chris

PS: I included their regular number too, since your in the UK you won't be able to use the US 800 number.

Christopher, Jun 27, 2008 IP
    Blitz likes this.
  8. Blitz

Blitz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Ok thanks very much guys!
    I'll wait 2 days to give PDR a chance first, otherwise I'll need to contact DirectI.

Blitz, Jun 27, 2008 IP
  9. Crazyanz

Crazyanz Peon

Best Answers:
    cant your transfere the domain to name.com or a other domain company ?

Crazyanz, Jun 27, 2008 IP
  10. Blitz

Blitz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    As the host doesn't accept payments anymore, I can't pay the transfer fee to get it transfered.

Blitz, Jun 27, 2008 IP
  11. csi

csi Guest

Best Answers:
    You pay your new registrar the money, not your old one. If you have the auth code and the domain is registered with your email address then just transfer it - there should still be time.

csi, Jun 27, 2008 IP
    puremonopoly likes this.
  12. GimmeMyDomains

GimmeMyDomains Peon

Best Answers:
    Yup - the fee you pay goes to the new registrar. You might need to visit their site to confirm the transfer. If their site is down that can cause a problem. If you run into that, I'd call customer service at the new registrar to see if they can help out.

If you are unable to get it registered before it expires, you'll probably have to wait about 90 days until the domain becomes available again.

GimmeMyDomains, Jun 27, 2008 IP
  13. GimmeMyDomains

GimmeMyDomains Peon

Best Answers:
    Just looked at PUBLICDOMAINREGISTRY.COM. I'd transfer it somewhere else if possible. Their domains are $35/yr. You shouldn't pay more than $10 yr. for a domain. Doesn't look like you can register with them anyway - only through their resellers. But the pricing is still whacked.

Here's the comment on their pricing page:

PublicDomainRegistry provides domain registration services through its global partner network. We do not sell directly to end-customers. Below is an indicative Pricing Table for reference purposes only. The actual amount charged to you would be entirely dependant on where you are located and the organization you buy our services from.

GimmeMyDomains, Jun 27, 2008 IP
  14. Christopher

Christopher Peon

Best Answers:
    Resellers sell the registration service as private label and at much lower prices. The $35 is a way of protecting the resellers and not undercutting them. It's actually a very good organization. I wondered about the transferring thing to Blitz, might be the easiest way of dealing with this.

Christopher, Jun 30, 2008 IP
  15. Directive

Directive Peon

Best Answers:
    this is what happens you use small resellers

Directive, Jun 30, 2008 IP