1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Yes, Im a n00b

Discussion in 'General Business' started by kiteguy123, Jun 24, 2008.

Ok
    So I'm fairly new to this game, I've done a bit of forum posting, content creation and contests. But now I want to make a site
    I've got a template, and some one is gonna code for me.. Ive also got a decent domain. I know about hosting...
    but one thing I want to know is...
    ...how do I get views?

I'm gonna set up a myspace account and I'm going to be running a rather nice competition, but I'm looking for something that will get me constant UVs, even after the comps have gone n stuff, because I want to be making around $3 a day from it in a couple of months...
    Its to do with skateboarding, if that helps

Advice gratefully recieved :D
    Thanks
    Simon

kiteguy123, Jun 24, 2008 IP
  2. mentos

mentos Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Promote your site at DP and adword

mentos, Jun 24, 2008 IP
  3. xmartel

xmartel Active Member

Best Answers:
    Your best bet is to learn SEO and go that route.

xmartel, Jun 24, 2008 IP
  4. Ben-AceofTech

Ben-AceofTech Active Member

Best Answers:
    I find that being apart of forums is a great help. The first time I started up my site I posted on about 3 or 4 large forums that I am a regular member of, from that I got a good number of views and some even wanted to join.

So now, 4 months later, my site, www.aceoftech.com, has 5 different writers. Plus they spread the news "hey I found this sweet new technology site, I think you should check it out, aceoftech.com" then it just spreads.

Having accounts such as a YouTube and Myspace for your website are big helps as you can post your videos on youtube with your link, and news, and just plain "check out my site" things on MySpace.

Using programs such as Google Adwords are good but a study a few years ago (I'll dig that up later) showed that a user trusts a normal link more than a sponsored link. So unless your sure you've put together the greatest set of words ever, or you've got the best image ever be prepared to pay some large money for one-time views.

As xmartel said above, learning methods of SEO, or search engine optimization, can really help you to blow by competitors without having the need to spend money on Adwords. SEO is usually hard though, unless you get lucky and use things like wordpress that have plugins such as a All-In-One SEO pack. Using software such as Dreamweaver can also automatically add tags and descriptions for easier finds by Google and other search engines.

I am a first time webmaster myself, but 4 months later I'd say I'm doing pretty well. My goal with AceofTech was to have fun, satisfy readers, and make a little money doing it. And when I spend $100 a year on servers, but I've already managed to make $140 in the first 4 months is always a good sign. Plus my site isn't everything already. So when you are designing your site, ask a friend for a sub-domain at there site or something and test everything possible. Then when you think you are ready, buy the servers and domain, then just copy everything over, then brainstorm new ideas as you go. My site is already pretty successful as it is, but I want to see more, and the number one thing I was contacted about is that people wanted forums. So I'm working on forums right now. I hope I don't sound bragging here, but the point I'm trying to get out of this is you'll never make money if you don't risk money.

Hope that helped.

Ben-AceofTech, Jun 24, 2008 IP
    1 person likes this.
  5. kiteguy123

kiteguy123 Guest

Best Answers:
    Hi.
    Ben, that is awesome. thanks so much for your help, +rep :D
    I'm not looking to make a million, just a nice profit so i can afford more sites. I agree with the point on adwords about sponsored links not being trusted as much, I would rather just have a normal link, but how do I go about getting one of those?
    And congrats on making a profit, I just had a quick look on your site and from a little read its awesome.
    I think I will give SEO a shot.. thanks

Thanks again
    Simon

kiteguy123, Jun 24, 2008 IP
  6. Ben-AceofTech

Best Answers:
    Your welcome man, glad I could help.

Getting normal links on places such as Google and others are a little harder than it looks. You need to "optimize" truly everything you know. Doing things like adding a link in your signature at forums, and when answering questions, quote or link to answers posted on your site. Getting services such as FeedBurner for RSS is always good for tracking progress. And using meta tags on your writing and images can help Google to identify more easily.

Now I'm not the SEO god here as I'm working on it myself, but thats a small $.02 of what I've got =D

Ben-AceofTech, Jun 24, 2008 IP
  7. noobie2shoes

noobie2shoes Peon

Best Answers:
    As you can see by my name I used to be a noob.....some people might say that I still am when it comes to internet marketing and websites. To be honest.....I sometimes agree with them too. :)

Anyway, the way I learned is to dive in head first. And that means purchasing domain names, purchase hosting and reading up on SEO and trying different tactics and trialing.

It doesnt have to cost the earth but it will cost alot of your time but it is worth it. One thing I have realised is that you can't rely on anyone else to do stuff for you CORRECTLY ! Its better if you know a bit of everything so even if you want to outsource work like SEO, link building etc then you have an idea that they are actually do what has been agreed on.

In terms of getting traffic to your site, the best way is to learn the basics of SEO just like the fellows above posted before me.

1. The easiest way is to create articles and more articles (content) for your site. These articles should contain keywords that people might be searching for in google/yahoo etc.

2. I get good traffic via digg and yahoo answers.
    a. Everytime you write an article then submit via DIGG
    b. Search for skateboard type questions in Yahoo Answers. Answer the questions and leave your website link relating to the question. This is good in two ways, people will click through to your site when they see your link plus because Yahoo Answers ranks highly in search engines, your answer (with link inserted) will get heaps of organic viewers.

3.Spread your seed(link) in other blogs and other sites. Enter these searches into google.
    a. "skateboarding" add url
    b. "skateboarding" add link
    c. "skateboarding" submit link
    d. "skateboarding" submit url

And mix and match the above combinations. Click through the google results and simply add your site URL to these sites for free. But make sure you have something constructive to write if its in the comments section of a blog.
    The above methods are pretty common but take a bit of your time. Just do 5-10 a day and before you know it you will be getting hundreds of visitors to your site.

Good Luck fellow Noobie !

noobie2shoes, Jun 24, 2008 IP
    1 person likes this.
  8. sun and kisses

sun and kisses Guest

Best Answers:
    You can social bookmarking or article marketing to get views

sun and kisses, Jun 25, 2008 IP
  9. kiteguy123

kiteguy123 Guest

Best Answers:
    Hi guys.
    The website is not really gonna have content, it is going to be a site where people can upload their own photos and videos, and there will also be a forum.
    For an update:
    I will learn SEO, thanks for tips.
    I'm also going to make accounts on social networking sites and try and get a LOAD of friends.

But, how do you get on to Google? Does it add you automatically, or do you have to do something?

Thanks again for advice, +rep to all ;)
    Simon

kiteguy123, Jun 25, 2008 IP
  10. kiteguy123

kiteguy123 Guest

Best Answers:
    ok, I forgot to ask.
    How do you get high PR????
    Thanks
    Simon

11. Ben-AceofTech

Best Answers:
    Okay, took me awhile to get these links to hopefully you like them =D

http://www.google.com/addurl/ <-- You can go here to submit your URL to Google
    http://www.google.com/webmasters/ <-- Helpful resource for webmaster from Google
    https://www.google.com/webmasters/tools <-- Sign up for useful Google website tools
    https://www.google.com/analytics/siteopt/ <-- Tool for testing site content that delivers actionable results.
    http://www.google.com/analytics/ <-- Helps you learn even more about where your visitors come from and how they interact with your site
    https://www.google.com/adsense/ <-- Duh... Puts ads on your site for money
    http://blogsearch.google.com/ping <-- Submit your blog here for indexing by Google
    https://www.google.com/webmasters/tools/sitestatus <--Helps you learn more about your site's status in the Google index.
    http://www.google.com/sitesearch/ <-- Put a Google search box on your website and enable prospective visitors and customers to find information instantly.

Theres 8 different Google Tools that I find to be incredibly helpful.

Edit: Regarding PageRank

From Wiki: PageRank is a link analysis algorithm that assigns a numerical weighting to each element of a hyperlinked set of documents, such as the World Wide Web, with the purpose of "measuring" its relative importance within the set. The algorithm may be applied to any collection of entities with reciprocal quotations and references.

In other words:Sites get PageRanks from gettings links from other sites with higher pageranks.

For example if Site A has a PR7 and Site B has a PR 3, if Site A posted a link to Site B, then you could say that Site B is getting some credit as a high PR site is linking to it. Now that DOESN'T mean it'll become a PR7 as well, it just gets a "point" you could say on the scale of Page Rank.

If sites with high PR's link to sites with low PR's the low PR sites rise. And as a tip, you might want to try and keep link purcashing to a minimum as it can get you banned from Google and get you a PR0 forever.

Ben-AceofTech, Jun 25, 2008 IP
  12. kiteguy123

kiteguy123 Guest

Best Answers:
    So, basically, to achieve a high PR, I have to get links on other peoples sites? Like directories and stuff?
    Thanks again for the help, btw :)

13. Ben-AceofTech

Best Answers:
    Yes, pretty much. Directories are good only if they have a high PR though. But getting links on other sites is the way you achieve a higher PR.

Just be sure that when you are getting links, whether it be a link to your site in the name of a comment on a blog (wow that was long) or just affiliating with a site of the same niche, but be sure when your getting links its from sites that have good PR, such as PR3+. Be sure if you are making comments on blogs be sure your link isn't being redirected as it won't help you that way, and be sure you right something insightful so its not marked as spam.

I was a huge n00b myself awhile back, and I still think I am one, but I'm glad I could help you.

Ben-AceofTech, Jun 25, 2008 IP