1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

I submitted to directories but get no lovin back, they must be crap

Discussion in 'Directories' started by DownUnder, Jun 21, 2008.

1. Spider-Man

Spider-Man Banned

Best Answers:
    As the Scotsman that I am, I'll say it like it needs to be said. You speak some pish.

Spider-Man, Jun 23, 2008 IP
    swedal likes this.
  2. nebuchadrezzar

nebuchadrezzar Peon

Best Answers:
    Look, I don't have a beef with you. Its just that I have been looking at this forum for sometime and thinking I can believe that crap that these people are talking. I feel like the boy who sees that the emperor is wearing no clothes and points it out while every one is so desperate to believe that he is wearing new clothes.

I will go give you an example. Someone will post a link to their new directorys which has been automatically been generated with a script, with about 10 links all to the owners other sites. Its like a million other worthless directories with different colors fonts and logos. The about page will unusually say something like here is where you put information about your directory. And it will often look quite pretty.

Then there will follow a string of posts with each person explaining how marvelous (and pretty) the directory is. Not one person will point out the obvious, that the thing is a completely worthless piece of junk. And this doesn't happen rarely, it goes on day after day after day. I am sorry if you think that I am tarring you guys with the same brush but there is something real rotten in this industry.

nebuchadrezzar, Jun 23, 2008 IP
  3. JamieG

JamieG Banned

Best Answers:
    It's possible with a name like he has that he is a muslim? He certainly seems to speak a lot of shiite! :D

JamieG, Jun 23, 2008 IP
  4. nebuchadrezzar

nebuchadrezzar Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes I like it Pish. Good word, I love it. Come to the loony world of directories and speak some pish. When people ask what you are doing on this forum one can say I am Pishing with the Pishers.

5. swedal

swedal Notable Member

Best Answers:
    JamieG - You should notice that in my statement I was talking about conversions not highest source of traffic. My five highest sources of conversions were from directories so yes I did gain customers from them.

nebuchadrezzar - your not even worth responding to other than to say your statements are nonsense and not based in facts whatsoever. The world does not work in the tiny little buckets you try to lump everything into. Are there crappy directories out there? Yes! Are there great ones? Yes! Same as every other thing in the world there are good and bad.

You have a beef with anyone who does not agree with your narrow view of the world you live in and you refuse to acknowledge any others point of view.

swedal, Jun 23, 2008 IP
    Spider-Man likes this.
  6. dcristo

dcristo Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    From what I read of your post, you make some good points (too bloody long to read all of it now) However it goes both ways, I think most directory owners start charging for submissions too early and provide no real value to those submitting.

dcristo, Jun 23, 2008 IP
  7. Event_King

Event_King Guest

Best Answers:

That's an interesting point - yeah. No wonder, it's the greed factor, but you need to have a directory packed with sites/info to charge in the first place.

Event_King, Jun 23, 2008 IP
  8. nebuchadrezzar

nebuchadrezzar Peon

Best Answers:
    This made me slightly curious, I was going to ask you what you define as a good directory, and perhaps give me an example. (BTW in my view there are a number of good directories, even pay for inclusion). But there is something one needs to establish even before you get to that point. What is the purpose of a directory in 2008?

9. an0n

an0n Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    What wouldn't be the purpose for a directory in 2008?

an0n, Jun 23, 2008 IP
  10. nebuchadrezzar

nebuchadrezzar Peon

Best Answers:
    Well one thing that springs to mind is being used as the primary way people search the internet.

11. an0n

an0n Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    That's a pretty close-minded way of thinking you have.

Do you think a search engine would be a better search and refinement tool/method than a dedicated niche directory that strictly adheres to [insert niche subject matter] ?

an0n, Jun 23, 2008 IP
  12. nebuchadrezzar

nebuchadrezzar Peon

Best Answers:
    No. Collections of resources that pertain to a discrete topic have some potental for use by real people and as a source of data for search engines.

However someone is unlikely to use a niche directory as their primary means to search the Internet.

13. an0n

an0n Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    You are 150% incorrect.

I have used several on the occasion that the search engines provided nothing but garbage within the first page. (and I search by 100 results)

Maybe you just aren't as in-depth as I am when it comes to researching, which is obviously representative of your posts (e.g. half-a$$ed and biased)

It's OK though, I'm not mad at you. You are entitled to your own opinion(s), whatever they may be. Just remember that you are not the 'house speaker' though, and what you may think doesn't go for all.

an0n, Jun 23, 2008 IP
  14. nebuchadrezzar

nebuchadrezzar Peon

Best Answers:
    Whoa there fella, I was agreeing with you dude, niche directories can be a good resource. Look, go and have a nice cup of tea, relax and have another think about it. I promise you will feel much better afterwards, you really will.

15. an0n

an0n Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I prefer coffee and will definitely take you up on the suggestion.
    I've been up since 8am this morning, and the 'real work' is due to begin shortly and I think coffee is definitely in order here. :)
    (I hope I feel like a million bucks after the fact, because I damn well sure want to make a million while I'm feeling like a million.)

On a serious note though, and with regards to a lot of the posts you've made in the thread that I have read; you seem to be extremely biased with your views.

Are you truly against directories? Or are you just against what they have become and represent these days? I'm just trying to get an understanding on your views and how/why you feel the way you do.

an0n, Jun 23, 2008 IP
  16. nebuchadrezzar

nebuchadrezzar Peon

Best Answers:
    You are correct I dislike what the vast majority of directories have become and question in general their relevence to search in 2008. All but a few have no value and exist only to extract money from ill informed webmasters.

17. an0n

an0n Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    OK, that is fair nough' and I can somewhat agree with you and understand your animosity towards the greater majority of them. From the dropped domains, to the people who make them only to sell them etc etc...

an0n, Jun 23, 2008 IP
  18. DownUnder

DownUnder Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Mate even directory owners do not like the crappy or qbc directory status as it drags everyone into the same pile of smelly dung. so we can all agree on that side of it

DownUnder, Jun 24, 2008 IP
  19. JamieG

JamieG Banned

Best Answers:
    And you've been having a go at me all this time when if you done your homework you'd see I've been saying this pretty much since I joined this forum and long before. :confused:

JamieG, Jun 24, 2008 IP
  20. Event_King

Event_King Guest

Best Answers:
    Yes, I feel like that :( :(

Too true

Event_King, Jun 24, 2008 IP