1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Advantage of WordPress Over Blogger?

Discussion in 'WordPress' started by Claymation, Jan 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    By linking to my blog in a previous post, it was pointed out to me (rather bluntly) that I'm making a mistake by using Blogger for my page.

As I'm new to going outside my server (I'm in the process of changing hosts), I'm not real keen to what the better options are in the freebie world.
    Can someone help me out here and explain why one is better than another?
    Is it how search engines pick up the pages, or the overall format?

My Blogger page allows me to post content easily, and insert advertising anywhere I like, so what more should I be looking for?

Thanks!

Claymation, Jan 22, 2006 IP
  2. just-4-teens

just-4-teens Peon

Best Answers:
    Advantages of blogger

Hosted elsewhere so does not us e your bandwidth
    If used as an add-on for you site, it will count as another backlink
    If your site goes down your blog will still be live

Advantage of other blogs

Hosted on your server so you have full control of it
    Looks more professional if the blog is within the same domain as the main site
    Hosted on your own server = more pages in index of the search engines for your domain

i think they are the main advantages of each, i think you can probally work out the dis-advantages of each from the above.

just-4-teens, Jan 22, 2006 IP
  3. Claymation

Claymation Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks.
    I've been messing around with Wordpress just now and got to the part about "enable sending referrers". Nice little brick wall they put up there.
    None of their solutions work for me.

Sorry for my complete ignorance in this realm.
    I've been coding and creating web pages/sites for years, but just ventured into outside blog hosting for the first time and find it to be a whole different ballgame.

4. petertdavis

petertdavis Notable Member

Best Answers:
    You can host Blogger on your own server with your own domain too.

petertdavis, Jan 22, 2006 IP
  5. Claymation

Claymation Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks Peter.
    I realize that I can host it on my own server, but I'm in the process of changing hosts- although I kind of like the option of having some blogs out there that are NOT on my hosting, in order to have options when server problems arise, etc.

6. blacknight

blacknight Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I'm a bit confused with your problem.

Grab a copy of wordpress.

Install it into your web root.

Import your old blogger posts.

Done.

Or am I missing something?

blacknight, Jan 22, 2006 IP
  7. fsmedia

fsmedia Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Why is Wordpress better you ask?

1. it's far more advanced in the progress of the actual application as a whole
    2. the support community is amazing to work with and help with
    3. the dev team is an amazing group of people that travel around the world gaining new experience and taking in new ideas to help improve the application everytime a new release is finished
    4. the flexibility of the internal functionality is astounding. The code loops can be tweaked, changed, morphed, and worked into however and whatever you want them to be.
    5. the default admin panel is 'nice' to the eye when looking at it 2-3 hours/day
    6. every, I mean EVERY, aspect of your site can be changed. I've used it for a magazine, a regular weblog, a complete community portal, a business site, a news release site, a promotional tool, and much more. the possibilities are endless.
    7. it's free and doesn't depend on anything else except your own server
    8. it has a SWEET name.
    9. it's wordpress, need I say more?

I use Wordpress for nearly every application need I have that requires any kind of PHP/MySQL backend. It saves a lot of time with all the plugins that have been created and the already-built-in functionality to port anything over to it and/or just use it out-of-the-box.

fsmedia, Jan 22, 2006 IP
  8. Hon Daddy Dad

Hon Daddy Dad Peon

Best Answers:
    In addition to what fsmedia said, I think you can get a lot more out of your content in terms of search results with wordpress.

Hon Daddy Dad, Jan 22, 2006 IP
  9. fsmedia

fsmedia Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I wouldn't go so far to say you get more, but it's easier to customize your permalink setup and you can get better results based on how you set it up. Someone could setup a very poor Wordpress install and not get very good results at all while on the other hand you could set it up very well and get awesome results. Just depends on how you set it up and how well you SEO the actual site itself.

fsmedia, Jan 22, 2006 IP
  10. Hon Daddy Dad

Hon Daddy Dad Peon

Best Answers:
    True. But I still think if you know what you're doing wordpress has the flexibility to get you a higher performing websites structure and layout compared to Blogger.

I set up a c00p network with wordpress which I don't think you can do with blogger. There are all kinds of other things you can do with wordpress that you simply can't do with blogger.

Hon Daddy Dad, Jan 22, 2006 IP
  11. maldives

maldives Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I found it very interesting. I have successfully moved my blog from blogger.com to my own server without any problems.

http://www.sunandsea-maldives.com/blog/

maldives, Jan 22, 2006 IP
  12. Infiniterb

Infiniterb Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I can't say this for everyone, but my blogger blogs lost a lot of pages in Google during the jagger update. Most wordpress blogs I've seen have kept their page counts. Just something to think about...

Infiniterb, Jan 22, 2006 IP
    maldives likes this.
  13. miked

miked Peon

Best Answers:
    I have to admit to ignorance when it comes to wordpress and SEO optimization, but the one aspect (as a blogger) that I don't like about blogger is it's lack of categories. The other technical issue I have with blogger is it's lack of plug-ins (such as linking to related sites).

miked, Jan 23, 2006 IP
  14. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    One plugin in particular is Akismet's spam stopper. I'm able to leave my blog looking "open" to comments, no registration, no image verification to put people off and all the spam gets caught.

I started with Blogger and have never looked back!

sarahk, Jan 23, 2006 IP
  15. rewlie

rewlie Active Member

Best Answers:
    I cannot stop once I know what WP is about !

rewlie, Apr 20, 2006 IP
  16. jdi_knght

jdi_knght Peon

Best Answers:
    Wordpress is generally considered to be more powerful, more feature filled, and in general, better. That said, if you're happy with Blogger, then stay with it. Not a lot of point in switching "just because" if you ask me.

For example, I've used Paint Shop Pro for years and I love it. Photoshop is more powerful, feature filled, and in general, better. However, that doesn't mean I should necessarily use Photoshop or that I would be happier using it. Paint Shop Pro is just fine for me, and unless I need more than it offers, I'm probably better off just staying with it.

If that's the case with you and Blogger, you might be happier just to stay with it. I made the switch to Wordpress and loved it, but just because I did, doesn't mean someone else necessarily would.

Just my opinion though, and other people do bring up a lot of good points and advantages to using Wordpress if you were inclined to change.

jdi_knght, Apr 20, 2006 IP
  17. cormac

cormac Peon

Best Answers:

You would love Word Press by the sounds of things.

SEO optimization on Word Press is not difficult. Using plugings for tags and friendly url's makes things more easy.

Not having categories on Blogger was something I disliked as well and to add them was a lot of work, I found. Word Press categories is amazing as its extremly easy to use.

Finding a new word press plug-in and trying it out has turned into a new hobby for me - there are so many out there.

As you can tell from the previous posts Word Press is very powerful and its something you should really consider for your own blog.

cormac, Apr 20, 2006 IP
  18. Claymation

Claymation Peon

Best Answers:
    I set up an account and have started on a couple of blogs at WP.
    Love it- thanks so much for the great tips....as always on DP.

Claymation, Apr 20, 2006 IP
  19. cormac

cormac Peon

Best Answers:
    Is is hosted on your own domain or with just word press?

If you can, before getting into serious blogging open a hosting account and add your blog. It would be in your best interests in the long run.

Good Luck.

cormac, Apr 20, 2006 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.