1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What is CTR and few questions

Discussion in 'Reporting & Stats' started by abcdefGARY, Apr 19, 2006.

Hello, I am new to Adsense and I have a few questions.

1.) What is CTR? I have been surfing the AdSense forums and the term "CTR" always pops up but I do not know what this is abbreviated for.

2.) Why won't Google show how much you will earn per 1000-page-impressions? Does this mean that everyone's earnings for 1000-impressions are different?

3.) Do I have to have 1000 page impressions per day to earn money? Is this true? Yesterday, I obtained 100 impressions, but today, it went back to 0. Doesn't it count from 100?

4.) I had a click today, but I earned no money? Don't I get money whenever someone clicks the ad?

If someone could help me with these questions, that would be great!
    Thanks!

abcdefGARY, Apr 19, 2006 IP
  2. pzn

pzn Active Member

Best Answers:
    1) Clickthrough rate
    2) CTR changes
    3) You need to have at least $100 to get paid
    4) Sometimes you don't earn money, depends on your CTR. If you just joined today.. there might be some things to still set up

pzn, Apr 19, 2006 IP
  3. abcdefGARY

abcdefGARY Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    sorry if im being such a beginner, but what is a clickthrough rate?

thanks.

4. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    It's the number of impressions (times an ad was displayed to an end user) divided by the total number of clicks.

For example, if you had 100 impressions, and 6 clicks, you would have a 6% click through ratio. (6% of the ads shown were clicked)

digitalpoint, Apr 19, 2006 IP
  5. jdi_knght

jdi_knght Peon

Best Answers:
    1) Click through rate. This is the percentage of the time that someone clicks on an ad. So if you have 100 page views and 3 clicks, that would be a 3% CTR.

2) You usually don't actually earn per 1000 impressions (unless someone's targetting your site for an Adwords campaign). You're typically seeing the eCPM or "effective CPM" which as far as I know is just what you're effectively making / 1000 impressions based on your current revenue for clicks so far.

3) You can have 10 impressions per day and still make money (assuming you get clicks at some point), there's no minimum. The reason the number "reset" to 0 was because it does that every day. The earning's page shows todays earnings. You can change the box to show you yesterday's earnings, all time earnings, etc.

4) If a PSA was displayed, you clicked your own ad (a big no-no), or the click was invalid for some reason, you will be paid 0 for that click.

jdi_knght, Apr 19, 2006 IP
  6. abcdefGARY

Best Answers:
    Thanks for everyone's help!

1 more question...

the adsense always shows "public service" ads, is there a reason for this?

thanks again!

7. Kngavl

Kngavl Peon

Best Answers:
    If you just registered for adsense, it'; show PSA's until the google bot has looked through your site, expect ads in a couple days. If not 24-72 hours.

Kngavl, Apr 19, 2006 IP
  8. abcdefGARY

Best Answers:
    oh ok. thanks for everyone's help!

9. adbie

adbie Peon

Best Answers:
    In general, how much you earn depends on the Cost Per Click (CPC) that the advertisers pay (which is not shown in your AdSense account), as well as the number of clicks you receive.

All things equal, the higher the CTR, the more you will earn. To achieve a higher CTR, there are certain "optimization" techniques you can use on your web pages, including blending and positioning.

adbie, Apr 19, 2006 IP
  10. SportsOutlaw

SportsOutlaw Active Member

Best Answers:
    PSA ads dont mean you clicked your own ad. They show when google doesnt have an add to offer up that is relative to your content.

SportsOutlaw, Apr 19, 2006 IP
  11. abcdefGARY

Best Answers:
    the higher the impressions i get, the lower the CTR percentage goes...

is this normal?

is this because I've been refreshing my page all day? I'm refreshing the page because everytime i make changes to my website, i have to refresh it. I read somewhere in this forum that the more impressions you give to yourself, the CTR percentage will drop more?

thanks in advance.

12. sgthayes

sgthayes Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes that's normal. CTR=clicks/impressions so the bigger impressions gets, the lower CTR. Maybe you should install an adsense blocker. There's a firefox plugin that can does this.

sgthayes, Apr 19, 2006 IP
  13. khin007

khin007 Banned

Best Answers:
    CTR(click hroug rate)= clicks/Pageimpressions

khin007, Apr 20, 2006 IP
  14. abcdefGARY

Best Answers:
    Thanks for everyone's fast replies.

1 very last question!

I can't make money off site impressions, right? I need to have both clicks and impressions in order to earn money. Is this correct?

because i have a lot of impressions but 0 clicks and my earnings are still $0.

thanks in advance.

abcdefGARY, Apr 20, 2006 IP
  15. jdi_knght

jdi_knght Peon

Best Answers:
    Typically, you will only make money from clicks. Even if you have 1000000000 impressions, you will only make money from clicks.

Where this changes is if someone is running a site-targetted Adwords campaign and has targetted your site (someone is specifically choosing to pay per impression to run ads on your site). This is pretty rare unless you have a really popular site, a large site, or you get lucky and an advertiser thinks your site would be a good bet for running ads. In that case, you would generate money based on impressions as well.

jdi_knght, Apr 20, 2006 IP
  16. abcdefGARY

Best Answers:
    oh, okay. that explains a lot.
    thanks.

i was wonder if anybody has tried to get their friends to click on the ads everyday. haha just a thought

anyways thanks!

abcdefGARY, Apr 21, 2006 IP
  17. Jusse

Jusse Member

Best Answers:
    The ones who has are probably banned now :) Google will find out sooner or later.

Jusse, Apr 23, 2006 IP
  18. jordan5815

jordan5815 Peon

Best Answers:
    Wow thanks for starting this topic. I thought if i started a topic like this i would get bad posts "your such a noob", but i guess everyone once in a while needs help.

jordan5815, Apr 23, 2006 IP
  19. NewToAllThis

NewToAllThis Peon

Best Answers:
    A company targeted my site for a banner ad this morning. The ad has been running all day and I expect it to run 2 more days at least due to the date of the product release in the advertisement.

My question is what if the company is paying for CPC only? People don't click many ads on my sites. So does the company get all this great advertising on my site for nothing?

NewToAllThis, Apr 23, 2006 IP
  20. JamesColin

JamesColin Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Yes, they're paying per one thousand impressions, so if they choose to pay 1$ per 1000 impressions and you have 500 impressions with them, you'll get 0.5$ minus Google's share.
    It doesn't matter weither or not someone clicked on their ad, so it's up to them to create a visual that has a good CTR.

JamesColin, Apr 23, 2006 IP